"Tutoring" (Kainora)

A/n Kainora prompt from @vivianrenee101.

.

.

.

Kai was progressing well. Or at least about as well as someone can progress when they hardly care at all about their studies. If only he had the drive to stop thieving and start practicing! The boy didn't really seem to care about his training, only about how he could use bending to his convenience, which was usually stealing.

But was it just him, or did Tenzin see him work a little harder when Jinora was watching? Perhaps he was just being paranoid, but he swore the kid was trying to impress his master's daughter, and that certainly was not something Tenzin approved of.

Even worse was the little blush Jinora developed when she caught Kai looking at her, or vice versa. Tenzin knew they were only kids, but he didn't want his daughter crushing on a thief. So, he voiced his concerns to the natural source, the same source that heard all of his problems out: Pema.

"They're only twelve, dear," His wife reminded him. Tenzin sighed as he rubbed his temples.

"I know, I know, but I don't want our daughter running around with a thief!" He explained. Pema chuckled.

"Running around? What are they gonna do, hold up a shop?" She asked, still chuckling. Tenzin, however, was not amused.

"Possibly! They're airbenders, they could do it!"

Pema gradually ceased her laughter and placed a hand on her husband's shoulder.

"Sweetheart, I think you're looking at this wrong. Perhaps, if you push them together rather than pull them apart, it will be more beneficial."

Tenzin narrowed his eyes with speculation. He wasn't sure he liked where this was going.

"What do you mean?" He asked. Pema gave him a sly grin.

"If you encourage them, then perhaps Kai will work harder to impress Jinora. Who knows? She may have a positive impact on him."

That was definitely the last thing Tenzin wanted to do, but he promised to think it over.

The next day's usual training routine began, and as usual Kai excelled each time Jinora was in sight. Tenzin debated on whether or not he should take Pema's advice. He battled with himself for quite awhile until finally coming to a decision.

"Jinora, could you come here for a second?" He called. Jinora dropped from the air ball she'd been balancing on and strode over.

"Yes, Daddy?" She asked. Tenzin sighed, dreading what he was about to do.

"I wondered if you would like to privately teach Kai?" He asked. His daughter's face turned bright red.

"Teach Kai? Are you sure, Daddy?"

Tenzin nodded, although his insides were screaming against such an idea.

"I believe it would benefit both of you," he explained. Jinora studied her shoes for a second before looking back up.

"If you think it's best, Dad."

Tenzin smiled, hoping she couldn't see how opposed he truly was to the idea. "Good," he said, "you can start now."

And with that, he called for Kai and explained the plan. The boy agreed a little too quickly, and Tenzin sent the two of them off to start their lesson.

Tenzin spent the rest of the day glancing at the pair from the corner of his eye, watching as they blushed each time Jinora corrected Kai's form, or giggled whenever they brushed into each other.

Luckily for the two of them, He didn't catch sight of the kiss Kai snuck as Jinora adjusted his posture.