The Dancer Part 2 (Zutara)

A/n part two of the Zutara for @AlessiaBadea. There's probably some OOC here as well.

.

.

.

"You've really outdone yourselves this time, girls!" Ursa praised as the waterbenders stood before the Royal Family once more. Their performance had ended, and the rulers, particularly the Firelady this time, had enjoyed the performance.

"We thank you, Your Highness. Our only aim is to please your Majesties," the dancer Katara replied. Since joining the group, she'd risen to become a leader, Zuko believed. He saw how the other girls looked to her with a sort of reverence and seemed to ask her permission before doing anything. It was impressive, he thought. The girl had a toughness to her that both intimidated and fascinated him. She was a leader. He liked that. Thus, he wanted to know more about her.

At the same time though, he wanted her gone. She was a snow peasant, after all, and he'd been taught to look down upon snow peasants. It made no sense to him that he was attracted to her in this manner. Still though, his father seemed to find it amusing, as if his son were some sort of stud suddenly. He hadn't realized that this sort of thinking was acceptable.

"...right, ZuZu?" Azula asked, bringing her brother crashing down to reality. She wore her signature smirk, as usual. The dancers seemed to be watching in anticipation, Katara particularly, though Zuko suspected that was on account of his own wishful thinking.

"Beautiful performance, ladies." He said, hoping that his response was an appropriate answer to whatever his sister had said. To his relief, the girls all burst into grins. All but Katara, who remained perfectly straight faced, if relieved a bit. The girls bowed collectively and exited.

After that, Zuko resolved to get her alone. So when the next performance came, he asked her to stay behind once everyone else had gone.

"Yes, your Highness?" Katara asked, confused and somewhat scared, although you wouldn't know it by looking at her. Her face was as straight as ever, which was slightly frustrating for the prince. He didn't even get a hint at what she was thinking.

"Um, I wanted to tell you that...you um..." Zuko began. Whatever he had planned to say slipped away from him. Katara was looking at him expectantly. he cursed himself for being so awkward.

"You did good," he finally said, "and I'd um, I would like to ask your permission to...see you outside of performances..." Smooth, Zuko...

The dancer's eyes went wide. "Is your Majesty asking permission to call on me?" She asked, face going a little pale. That wasn't good, was he coming on too strong here? Too awkward? Maybe she just didn't like him?

"Oh, is that the word for it? I guess. It's just... I'd like to get to know you." Zuko explained, cringing a bit on the inside. Spirits, why was he so bad at this?!

To his relief, the color returned to her cheeks a bit. "I would be honored," she said with a bow. Zuko chuckled lightly.

"No need to bow when it's just us," he he said. Katara blushed, a sheepish grin now crawling across her face. It was nice to see her with an expression other than poker face.

"Yes, Majesty," She said. The prince chuckled again.

"And please, call me Zuko. I am a teenager, after all, and being called 'Highness' and 'Majesty' all the time is exhausting!" He told her. Now that his confidence had decided to show up, he was far more sure of himself. Katara, however, was blushing like a schoolgirl. It was a nice turn of the tables, he thought. She giggled, despite her own internal warnings. 

"Alright, Zuko."

With that, they said goodbye and parted ways. Zuko went to her house the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that, until it became a habit. Soon enough, there was talk about the Crown Prince's exotic Water Tribe princess. Some were grumbling about a snow peasant becoming Firelady, but that didn't bother Zuko or his new fiancé.

They were above such lowly ideals.