Jinora's Birthday (Bolinora)

A/n this was written before Kai was introduced

Hi, another A/n from 2021 this time because I'm skimming this book for nostalgia purposes and find that I should say something about this: I wrote this when I was really young and now that I am grown, I find this entry to be a bit problematic due to the age gap presented. This story is mostly innocent and nothing particularly happens, but I don't condone freshly-18-year-olds dating significantly older men, or significantly older men being interested in freshly-18-year-olds, and I don't want to imply that I do. 

.

.

"Korra!" Jinora shrieked, tackling the Avatar and nearly knocking her over. Korra chuckled and returned the hug.

"Jinora! It's been so long, kid! How've you been?" She asked, holding the girl at arm's length. Jinora was bouncing with excitement.

"Well, for starters, I turn eighteen today!" She shrieked happily, practically flying to the moon to have a chat with Yue. Korra grinned.

"Yeah, I noticed. That is why I'm here, after all. What else has been going on? Any boys?" She asked. Jinora blushed and immediately stared at the ground.

"Maybe..."

Before Korra could respond, Ikki and Meelo came flying out the door to greet her.

"KorraKorraKorra! We missed you soooo much here on the island! It's so boring without you! How have you been? Have you had fun in the other nations? Ooh! Did you bring me something red from the Fire Nation? They make the absolute BEST red stuff over there!" Ikki spouted off all at once, prompting a laugh from Korra and a glare from Jinora.

"Pokey had babies!" Meelo chimed in, as a lemur followed by several smaller lemurs landed on his arm.

"Well, congrats, Pokey! But, I thought he was a boy lemur?" Korra said, more of a question than a statement. Meelo shrugged.

"Me too."

"Korra!" Someone across the island yelled. Everyone turned to see a raven-haired woman running their way at top speed. Korra smiled.

"Asami!" She cried, catching the other woman's hug. They stood there giggling for a moment before pulling away.

"How have you been? I haven't seen you since the wedding!" Asami asked. Six months prior, she'd married General Iroh of the United Forces. Korra giggled.

"I'm good. Still happily single. How about you?" She asked. Asami eyes lit up like the avatar state.

"Everything's wonderful! I mean, deployment is a pain in the ass, but other than that. . . Iroh's wonderful, his family is wonderful, the Fire nation is wonderful, and on top of it all. . ." She took a deep breath, and her face split in a large, delighted smile. "We're expecting!"

This statement caused every female in the area to start squealing, jumping, and "oh-my-spirits!"-ing while Meelo stood silently, trying and failing to pick his nose discreetly.

Not long after, just when the squealing died down and the conversation drifted to Satomobiles and whether or not they're more efficient than Polar bear dogs, Bolin and Mako arrived, and they all went to the dock to greet them.

"We aren't late, are we?" Mako asked as soon as they disembarked.

"Nope! Right on time!" Korra assured them. The brothers said their hellos and made their way inside.

As this was happening, Asami noticed Jinora retract a little, cheeks reddening. She leaned in to whisper to Korra.

"You see what I see?" She asked. Korra followed her eyes and smirked.

"Oh, definitely."

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" she asked. The Avatar's smirk grew as she locked eyes with her best friend. 

"Of course I am."

~

The celebration went on. Everyone met Tenzin and Pema inside, and pleasantries were exchanged. Rohan was eventually drawn from his room for a few minutes before once again retreating to work on his latest trinket, and the meal was pleasant. Afterwards, as everyone played a party game - their attention on Meelo as he moved about spastically while they tried to guess what he was supposed to be - Korra and Asami dragged Jinora to the side.

"Okay, so how long?" Korra demanded. Jinora looked confused.

"How long what?" She asked. Both older women looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

"How long have you liked Mako?" Asami asked. Jinora's eyes widened. Her cheeks flushed, and her expression turned to a look of horror. 

"I-I don't! Where would you get that from?!" She exclaimed. Both women chuckled.

"Oh please, you can't put one over on us. I mean really, we saw the way you acted when he got off the ferry," Korra explained.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of." Asami added. Jinora looked frantic now.

"No! You've got it all wrong, I do NOT like Mako!" She insisted. Korra chuckled.

"Awe! You're in denial! How cute! It's okay, sweetie. You're eighteen. You can't expect to go through life without having a crush or five," she said as Asami chuckled.

Now the girl looked distraught. "I DON'T like Mako, I like someone else!" She exclaimed. Korra and Asami stopped laughing and glanced at each other for a long moment, then at the birthday girl.

"Who?" They asked. Jinora sighed.

"It's-" she started, only to be interrupted by a voice from behind them. Her face instantly reddened and she froze.

"Hey, you guys alright over here?" Bolin called, steadily approaching. Jinora's reaction gave away all. Both older women jumped, giving shouts of triumph on the way down.

"It's Bo! You like Bo!" Korra cried. Asami quickly slapped a hand over her mouth, and Jinora looked absolutely mortified as Bolin approached.

"Did one of you say my name?" He asked. All three girls shook their heads.
He raised an eyebrow, but chose not to question it.

"Right... Okay then. Just checkin' on ya." He said before turning around and walking back the way he came.

Jinora released a pent-up breath. "Thank Furryfoot he didn't hear!" She sighed, before promptly making the others swear by every spirit there was never to tell a soul.

Bolin, however, was grinning as he rejoined the festivities.