Winds of change (Linzin)

Lin knew they weren't ACTUALLY related, but seeing as Sokka and her mom had been together for as long as she could remember, he had always been a paternal figure to her (she even called him Dad occasionally.) That said, it just felt wrong. Tenzin was sort of like her cousin, and that was weird.

So why did she suddenly develop a weird, fuzzy feeling in her gut whenever she was around him?

Since the two of them had reached their teens, Lin had that same feeling in her stomach. It was highly unpleasant and unusual. She had hoped that it would wear off with time, but she was seventeen now, and it showed no signs of fading. Lin sighed as yet another day went by and she couldn't hang out with her childhood friend without feeling highly uncomfortable in his presence.

"Something wrong?" Tenzin asked as they held a lighthearted bending match. Lin shook her head as she lobbed a rock towards her friend's head, only for his breeze to blow it off course. He sent a rush of air that knocked her from her feet. Unconvinced, he bent over to help her up.

"Are you sure you're okay, Lin?" He asked. Lin glared at him.

"I told you I'm fine!" She shouted, further proving otherwise. Tenzin appeared concerned.

"Lin, you know you can tell me anything," he reminded her. She groaned.

"Forget it! I'm going home!" She sprang to her feet, ignoring Tenzin's outstretched hand, and stormed off as Tenzin called after her.

She threw the door open and went straight for her room. Her mother was at the office and therefore wouldn't be home for the rest of the day, so she didn't have to worry about receiving an awkward and unwanted heart-to-heart until later that evening. Sokka wasn't going to be home for awhile either, although he tended to stay out of what he called "touchy-oogie stuff."

Tenzin, however, was a different matter. He breezed through the door not five seconds after.

"Lin?" He called. She pulled herself onto the ceiling with a coil of cable as kept on her bedside table and quietly maneuvered to the top of the cupboard which sat in the corner of her bedroom. As Tenzin walked in, she buried herself even farther in the corner. If he had seen her, he didn't lead on.

"Look, Lin, whatever happened, I can help you fix it!" He called throughout the house. Lin realized she was holding her breath.

"Lin! I know you're here! C'mon, come out!" He called. She pulled her knees up to her chin and dug her nails into her legs.

Tenzin sighed, as if he were about to say something he might regret, and then said it anyway.

"Look, Lin, the truth is... I love you. As, more than a friend... Did you hear me? I said I love you!"

He was almost out the door when he heard sobbing coming from the top of the cupboard.

The jig was up for Lin. She couldn't deny herself anymore. She was in love with Tenzin. 

Tenzin's head turned immediately and it didn't take long for him to locate her. Hiding spot compromised, she flipped forward and landed on her feet in front of him. She wiped her eyes and threw her arms around him.

"You... You heard that, I take it," he said, casting his eyes downward. Lin blushed as she pulled away from him.

"Yeah, yeah I did. And... I love you too." she looked up at him, smiling and blushing at the same time. His face immediately lit up, and he wrapped his arms around her, burying his face in her neck. She had a nice blue view of his tattoo.

Chuckling, she pushed him away a bit.

"Alright, loosen the grip some, airbag, I can't breathe!" She told him. They chuckled lightly as they pulled away.

I just... I can't believe it! I thought... I thought you liked Bumi." Tenzin confessed. Lin actually laughed at the thought.

"Me? Bumi? Are you insane?! Bumi is the most annoying person to ever walk the face of the earth!" She declared. He seemed a little embarrassed.

"Yeah, it is kinda stupid now that I think about it..."

They stood in pleasant silence, arms wrapped around each other before Lin pulled away, giving Tenzin an evil smirk. After a moment of confusion, a look of horror overcame him.

"Oh no..." He muttered. Lin chuckled evilly.

"Oh, yes. YOU get to tell my mother!"