Homecoming (Iroh II/Reader)

A/n Iroh II for @Dayelight. I didn't really know what to do with this one, so I figured I would try my hand at a reader insert.

.

.

.

You woke with a sigh to the sun in your face and an empty bed. Your husband had been away handling some sort of rebellion in Republic City. After plenty of scuffles and a near-death experience that almost gave you a heart attack, your prince was finally coming home today. The situation had been stabilized, and his arm, wounded in that near-death experience, was once again in working order. With no other reason to linger in the city, Iroh and his men were coming home. And not a moment too soon, either. You had some big news to share with him.

With a stretch and a yawn, you hopped out of bed and dressed yourself as quickly as possible. You wanted to get to the docks early and thus not have to worry about pushing your way through an absurd amount of people trying to welcome the war heroes home.

"Princess, aren't you a bit early heading to the docks?" called the bodyguard you didn't want. Mentally cursing, you turned. There she stood, arms crossed, a scowl on her face. You could barely hide your annoyance at once again being foiled by Zuma the Great and Mighty.

"I wanted to beat the crowd," you explained, already heading for the door. Zuma beat you to it.

"I cannot allow you to go anywhere without an escort. Especially in your current condition." she stated for the hundredth time. You groaned. Marrying a prince almost wasn't worth all of this.

Almost.

"There's nothing wrong with my condition!" You insisted, a defiant gleam in your eye. Zuma was a good six inches taller than you, not to mention much stronger. She wasn't afraid to physically restrain you, and you knew it.

"Fine," you conceded with a very exasperated (and slightly overdramatic) sigh. Zuma smirked and opened the door.

The two of you were at the docks in a matter of minutes. It didn't take long for a crowd to gather, and soon enough there were so many people you could barely move.

Someone could slip a knife between my ribs any moment and walk away and the Almighty Zuma would be powerless to stop it... you grumbled to yourself.

"There they are!" Someone shouted, effectively averting your attention. Your head followed pointing fingers, and soon several specks in the distance were visible. A smile crept it's way up to your lips.

"The prince will be very happy to see you, and even happier to receive your news." Zuma commented. Your smile grew.

"I sure hope so, Zuma."

For what felt like hours, the ships approached at a painstakingly slow rate. Eventually you could make out figures moving about on deck, and once or twice you spotted your beloved husband.

Then, finally, the ships were docked. You practically sprinted into your prince's arms with Zuma annoyingly not far behind.

"I've missed you so much!" You cried, burying your face in his shoulder. Iroh chuckled and wrapped his arms as tightly around you as possible.

"I've missed you too, love. How's everything been?" He asked. A giant smile lit up your face, and you're sure Zuma must have been smirking. The general glanced between the two of you.

"What is it?" He asked. You took a deep breath, barely able to contain your enthusiasm.

"I'm pregnant!" You exclaimed, squealing like a schoolgirl all the while. Iroh's eyes widened, and then his shocked expression gave way to joy. He took you in his arms and spun you, chuckling with joy all the while as Zuma watched on with a small hint of satisfaction. The rest of the day and all of the night was spent in your husband's arms, reveling in his presence and thanking the spirits for bringing him home safely.

.

.

.

A/n that is literally the first time I have ever written a reader insert so I apologize for how bad it undoubtedly is.

(A/n from the future: Damn past me get some confidence. Stop assuming the worst about yourself all the time.)