That's Rough Twinkletoes (Taang)

Taang for @infinutella_ (now @cxsmicology)
It's a twist on the original series ending, imagining what would have happened if Zutara had been endgame rather than Kataang.

.

.

.

"Hey Aang, you got a sec?" Toph asked. The Avatar grunted. Just an hour prior, Zuko and Katara had told everyone they were a couple. Aang, of course, wasn't happy about this. Everyone knew he'd had a crush on Katara from the moment he escaped the iceberg, and thus he wasn't taking the news well.

Currently he was sitting in a chair on one of the Fire Palace's balconies, overlooking the capitol city. Toph pulled out a chair next to him.

"It hurts, Toph," he mumbled. The earthbender sighed.

"Yeah, I know. It's not easy seeing someone you really like with somebody else, is it?"

Aang looked up. "You ever had that happen?" He asked. Toph nodded. She knew the feeling all too well. Sokka never seemed to notice how much she liked him, too busy doing whatever it was he did with Suki. Now, she figured Aang needed her support.

"I just don't get it. Am I not handsome enough? Too young? Maybe she's intimidated that I'm the Avatar?" He wondered aloud. Toph gave eye rolling her best shot.

"Or she's just not into you. It happens, you know. You don't have to have a specific reason for liking or not liking someone, sometimes it just happens. Life goes on. You get over it."

Aang sat staring at his friend for a long while. Had she always been this pretty?

Woah, that came out of nowhere... he thought, shaking his head. At the moment he was glad Toph was blind, as she couldn't see the light rosy tint crawling up his cheeks.

"Uh, yeah, I guess you're right..." he said, standing. "Well, I've been out here long enough. I should get back inside," he said with a light chuckle of flustered embarrassment, made worse by the fact that he didn't know what he was embarrassed about. "Goodnight, Toph."

Toph smirked. "Goodnight, Twinkletoes."

Aang retreated indoors. For awhile, Toph stood overlooking the city (as much of it as her feet would show her, at least.) For a brief moment, she wondered if she'd accomplished her goal. He certainly didn't seem upset anymore. If anything, he appeared a bit flustered.

Toph grinned. Flustered was just the way she wanted him.

.

.

.

A/n If we're being perfectly honest I pulled that out of thin air just now.

(A/n from the past: ^^ surprise surprise.)