chapter nineteen

Sunday afternoon Jordan and I went over to visit Ray in the hospital. I brought him a teddy bear and our mother's had made him a fruit basket.

I loved Ray and I knew seeing him in such a state would gut me but I wanted him to know we were here for him and that we cared. He was a big part of our lives and had been for over a decade. He watched us grow from children into adults. I wanted him to be there when I graduated because in his own way he helped me get to where I was.

I knew some of the other bus patrons had been there in the morning but we came later so we wouldn't be overwhelming him.

Once we entered the hospital a nurse led us to his room and knocked on the door.

"Hey Mr. Mcalister you have some visitors." She said as she cracked the door open.

"Who is it?" He asked in a weak voice.

The nurse looked to us. "Charlotte and Jordan."

"Shit." I heard him curse as the door opened.

I laughed. "Aw Ray, you really know how to make a girl feel special."

He ignored me and his eyes went to Jordan and I's intertwined hands. "Took you long enough."

Jordan laughed.

"Good you finally got your head out of your ass boy."

He hauled me into his side. "Yeah, good thing."

"One other thing boy, if you hurt her I will hit you with my bus." Ray told him.

I couldn't see Jordan's face but I felt him nod. I was pretty sure he was grinning too.

"That being said, I called it as soon as you fools got on that damn bus. Took 12 years to see it through though."

    I had a firm grasp on my emotions but the hold was loosening. I started to tear up. It was escape time. I fixed my face into a smile and blinked rapidly.

I rushed to set the basket down. "This is from our moms." I told him.

"And this-" I said gesturing at the teddy bear, "is from me."

He gave me a look. I knew the teddy bear was a bit much but still I handed it to him.

He glared at me and I of course ignored it while looking around.

"Where's your wife? I want to meet the famous woman who puts up with you." I asked him.

He grunted. "She's downstairs buying a magazine. As if my company isn't enough."

I smiled. "Who wouldn't want to hang out with you?"

"Exactly." He retorted.

"And your kids?" I asked.

"They came and left with the plan to fly in tomorrow, they had to tie up some stuff at work even though I told them that I would be fine. They didn't listen so I gotta get my blood pressure down before they get here cause knowing them they're gonna jack it back up."

I shook my head at him.

"You better get better and get back to driving me to school," I whispered. "We need you. It isn't the same without you."

"What, so I'm only good for driving you to school?"

I shook my head and the tears came back. "No Ray. You mean a lot more to me than that."

He sighed. "Charlotte."

"And if you don't get better than you won't get to see us graduate." A sneaky tear slipped out of the corner of my eye. "So promise me you'll get better."