Welcome Nolie

"Rafael!" And there goes another contraction. My poor sweet Kelsey... I hated seeing her in this much pain. If only I could switch positions with her, so I could get all that pain instead of her. 

"We're almost there, babe," I told her as she gripped my hand until it turned purple. I grimaced, but I deserved this. If she's in pain, I should be in too. 

"I hate you. Like, I really hate you. You don't even know how much this hurts," Kelsey said in between pants. 

"I know, sweetheart, I'm sorry-" 

"You best be sorry Rafael Adonis Strathmore... this sucks. This literally-" Another contraction obviously hit her again. I let her scratch at my wrist. Little droplets of blood gathered on my hand. Yay blood. 

"When can I get her out?!" She screamed at Mitchell's mother. She only smiled warmly. "You can start pushing now, hon. Your girl wants to get out just as much as you want." 

She then turned to me. "Come on over here." I gave Kelsey a kiss on her sweaty forehead and nervously made my way to in between Kelsey's legs. Oh Lord... 

"Rafael... you better...not...faint on me," Kelsey warned. "You're getting this baby out." 

I didn't dare look up in her eyes. I only nodded and turned to Mitchell's mother, who's name I forgot, obviously. 

"Alright, the little head is out, soon enough you could-" Kelsey interrupted her with a piercing scream. 

"Okay, see? She's almost here. You ready?" she asked me, giving me a reassuring pat on my back. 

"As I'll ever be." 

I reached my arms out and gently touched the top of my daughter's head. Ew gross many would say. This feeling is just... indescribable. My daughter is not even in my arms yet, but touching her little head, it's amazing. Some men don't get the chance of personally delivering their child. Yes it may seem gross with all the blood and- anyway, guys, y'all are missing out. 

I didn't even notice my little girl land into my arms. I let out a breathy sigh. 

"She's here," I whispered. Finally. 

I looked up at Kelsey to show her our little girl...but instead I saw Kelsey on the bed with her eyes rolled in the back of her head and her entire body convulsing. 

***

"Do you think everything is okay in there?" I asked Mitchell. It's been thirteen hours of Kelsey being in pain and I'm getting awfully worried. 

"She'll be just fine, love. You turned out just fine," he told me. I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, but Kelsey is Kelsey." At that Mitchell threw his head back and laughed. 

"You're so nice to your best friend," he teased. I shrugged. "I know, right?" 

I looked down at little Mitchell in my arms. Oh, how those innocent blue eyes make my heart melt. 

What doesn't make my heart melt is the vomit that little Mitchell just left on my nice blouse. I could even see the smallest smile. Thanks, son. 

I handed him over to Mitchell as I went over to the laundry room to see if there was a T-shirt I could throw on. Luckily, I did and I threw off my messy blouse and tossed it in the pile of dirty clothes. 

As I was walking back in the living room, a distressed shout came from the room Kelsey was in. My head snapped to Mitchell and I caught his stare.