Stupid Rock Climbing

"I'm sorry." 

"It's not your fault." 

"But you're mad." 

"Because our child just died!" 

"It was my fault. I didn't know, at all. I wasn't being careful. I just did whatever." 

"I should've known. I could smell something else about you. You didn't have your usual scent." 

I looked down at my hands, tears falling on them. I couldn't look at Mitchell right now. Not after what happened. He was trying to make me feel better by saying that it's okay. 

I feel awful. I'm the reason why our child died. And I didn't even know that I was pregnant. I should've. I hate myself so much. 

Three hours earlier...

"Come on, Vanessa!" I heard Mitchell yell at me. I looked up to see him a good five feet above me. 

I hate rock climbing I said to myself. I grabbed another colorful rock and held onto it while I put my foot on a new rock. Dang, this is a workout.

"Hey! You okay?" I heard Kelsey yell from down low. I looked down at her and nodded. Honestly, I felt like crap. I was so tired and I just wanted to get down. I didn't want to tell Mitchell that because then he'd go all protective. 

I suddenly heard a ding, which meant that someone reached the top. I looked up to see  Mitchell with a smile of victory on his face. 

I was headed up there towards him to congratulate him. But of course, I had to climb. And I hate rock climbing. But Mitchell loves it. He desperately wanted to go today. I'm not going to be that party pooper and say no. It sounded fun, and then I started to climb. 

As I gripped a new rock, my foot slipped off it's new rock. I panicked and let go of the rock I had a grip on. And that's when I started to tumble down. I remember hitting my head hard on the fake rock. Then it all went black as I fell to the ground. 

***

I quickly climbed down the rock and went towards to where Vanessa was currently laying down. I lifted her in my arms and sat her down with me on a bench. 

"Come on, Vanessa," I said, slapping her lightly on her face. I looked up to see many humans surrounding us, all worried. 

"Will she be okay?" A little girl asked me. I smiled at her. "I'm sure she'll be perfectly fine." 

"Her head is bleeding!" A girl shouted, pointing at Vanessa's head. I looked and indeed saw a good patch of blood. 

"Would you like me to call 911?" A woman asked me. I was desperate, and I couldn't drive Vanessa to the hospital quick enough. I nodded at the woman. 

The ambulance came five minutes later. I put Vanessa on a gurney and got on the ambulance with her. 

"Is that the only place where she's bleeding?" a male paramedic asked me. "I think so," I told him. 

I told Rafael and Kelsey to meet us at the hospital. I got in the ambulance. The small, cramped ambulance. 

"She fell? That's it?" the other paramedic asked me. I nodded. 

"It's a rock climbing place. Don't you have ropes strapped up on you so you don't fall?" I clenched my hands into fists until the turned white. "Obviously, the people didn't fucking strap them on her right!" I shouted at the female. She immediately looked away and I saw her tremble. Good. She deserved to be in fear.