Closer My Darling

Chapter eighteen: Closer My Darling

Liam's P.O.V

Niall's eyes were like fire burning into my skin. He poked his finger in my face and held onto my shirt, rippling the fabric. I gulped and hung my head back. What did I do? That thought was racing around my brain, finding a right answer. Nothing seemed to match it. Niall tromped past the couch and everyone seemed to just glance my way. Did they all know what I did? I just wish someone would give me a clue. He brought me behind the couch and halfway to the rooms in the back of the basement. His brows were furrowed together in a caterpillar way. I hugged my arms and waited for him to speak. There is no use in making him even more mad.

"You need to stop." Niall stated. I didn't respond, expecting to hear more.

"Niall, I'm not sure what is going on..." I moved my eyes to the creamy carpet. Niall stuck his face under mine and glared fiercly, moving up as I did.

"Of course, always so innocent! Save it Payne. They are either going to believe me or you when the time comes." Niall's knuckles turned white as he clenched his fists. I felt brainless. What in the name of Management is Niall talking about? What time is coming? I raised my finger to protest when a voice came from my right ear. Fazed from my thoughts, I didn't see Niall move.

"Niall, what do you mean, 'the time comes?'" I made quotation marks with my fingers. Niall stood slumped and leaned against the wall with his hands in his pockets.

"Liam, who are you talking to?" He crossed his eyes and stuck out his tongue. I felt so helpless. It was like I was in a dream that didn't make sense, and I was the one being left out of a joke.

"Uh, you?" I said in more of a question. Niall moved off the wall and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"I mean, who were you talking to before?" He asked me. I stopped and pointed to him.

"You."

Niall's P.O.V.

I felt Liam stare at me. I looked over at him and looked away as he did too. I glanced over again. He jumped and stood up, talking to himself. He walked behind the couch and inbetween the back rooms. I whispered to Emma.

"I'll be back. I'm going to check on Liam." She nodded, knitting her eyebrows together, glancing over her shoulder at Liam who was still talking to himself.

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea." Emma was about to stand up, then second guessed going. That was probably the best decision. I squeezed past Zayn and Louis, who were doing an intense duet. Well, it was supposed to be a duet, but it seemed more like a fight for power and righteousness. As I rounded the couch Cami tugged on my sleeve. I looked down at her, wondering what she was going to do.

"Liam is doing what exactly?" She asked, making her voice high at the end. Cami pointed to Liam while I shrugged.

"Lord Payne does as he desires. I'm just the Horan minion." I decided to make her confused, but that didn't really work. She tightened her lips and just nodded slowly. Cami knew us all pretty well by now after dating Zayn for almost a year. Oh, good times. My thoughts drifted me over to a raised fingered Liam. I tapped him on the shoulder and he spun around in a tizzy.

"Niall, what do you mean 'the time comes?'" Liam asked me annoyed, making quotation marks with his fingers. Liam was creeping me out. He reminded me of a mental person who recited prophecies, and talked to invisible people.

"Liam, who are you talking to?" I thought I would ask, hoping he wouldn't give me an insane answer.

"Uh, you?" He questioned. Well duh.