Insidious Breakdowns

Chapter twenty-eight: Insidious Breakdowns

Emma's P.O.V.

I saw Harry's head of curls walk out of view with Riley right by him. I knew they wouldn't be able to open the door, but I wanted to be alone with Brooke so I could ask her some questions. Yes, inside I did feel a bit guilty sending Riley and Harry on a pointless mission, but I needed to do what I needed to do. That's the thing though, nothing ever seems to go my way, ever. As soon as I was about to ask Brooke how she knew what I was thinking, she started to silent her sobs and stand up. She wiped away a falling tear and walked into a room with light yellow walls and a cute little arrangement of two white chairs, a white table, and a flower vase. She seemed to walk with a light weight ease and her hair seemed to almost flow out from behind her.

"Brooke, where exactly are you going?" I asked, just watching her work her way to the left side of the room. She came to a slow paced halt which seemed to last forever, but all within a couple seconds. She mildly turned her head to me so I could see the tip of her nose, and her eyes weren't looking at me, they were looking at her shoulder, stiff and high.

"To her." She said matter-of-factly and went behind the double door from view. To her? She doesn't mean... But before I could finish my thought I heard a door glide open smoothly but with a demonically heavy grace. "Alexis." Brooke's voice got an octave higher as she said her sister's name, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to see, but I felt my legs walking me forward. Brooke's hand was loosely placed around a black knob engraved with what seemed to be like children. Children reaching out for a help that was avail, and then gone and turned into their cloaked fears. Chills raced up and then back down my spine, spreading out to the follicles on my hair and the skin on my finger tips. It was like a light brush over the skin that made it eerily tingly. 

Brooke opened the door a bit wider and the light from the room poured into the small space inside. I wasn't scared exactly, but my stomach lurched forward as if trying to make me fall on my face. I looked not at the door, but at Brooke's eyes as the last inches of door were pushed open. She seemed not to breath, not to move, and not to feel, but she thought. It was as if I could almost sense the sparks in her brain going off, trying to comprehend everything and learn with a greedy failure. 

The door opened into a room that was so dimly lit, I could barley make out the silhouettes of furniture.

"She's in here, Emma." Brooke whispered and I could literally hear her heart beat in her chest. "Over there, Emma, she's here and she's gone!" She choked out a sob and then fell to the floor in anguish. I couldn't see a thing and I was wondering if this was all in her head. I didn't try to comfort her, I was still taking it in, and I knew nothing I would say would help her. I felt my back pocket and pulled out my i-pod. I was debating whether to turn in on or not, but my curiosity got the best of me. I heard the click of the button, unlocked the screen, and turned it to face the room. A small scream left my lips as I looked at the first thing the light shined on.

Alexis's body.

I was a foot away from her and I covered my mouth to hold back everything that wanted to pour out of me, whether it was emotion or vomit. My eyes got blurry from the thin tears streaking my face and I cowered back to the wall and slid down, my emotions weighing me to the floor like gravity. Her mouth was hanging open and her jaw was moved over on the left side of her face. Small drops of blood dripped from her mouth and some dropped on the floor, others on the dresser, and a couple down her neck and on her clothes. Her eyes seemed to bulge from her head, and looked like they would pop at any moment the room became too tense. If it wasn't for my lack of obedience I would have never looked at her head. The corner of the dresser went straight through her temple, then out the other side, just above her ear. The skin was spilt and torn, veins were visible, muscle, and even a small chunk of her brain was hanging off the end of the corner of the dresser, skimming her face. Alexis's body was just slumped against the dresser as her head was stuck on the dresser. I felt my stomach turn and I turned off my i-pod light, but not before catching a glimpse of a set of spiral stairs leading down into a room. I shut the thought from my mind, I am not going anywhere I haven't been already. I'm done with tonight and with everything.