Chapter 23

(The next day...)

I woke up with a curtain of brilliant orange hair covering my face. Sneezing several times as I attempted to wake up, I held Alannah close and closed my eyes in bliss. These are the moments I live for.

"Mmm...happy birthday, love," I heard her breathe as she caressed my cheek.

"Thanks Ali," I murmured. After moving the curtain of hair aside, I finally spotted my wife's face and kissed her on the lips, "This certainly won't be a birthday I'll forget anytime soon."

With a giggle, Alannah rolled me onto my back and straddled my hips. "Oh, I'll make sure you won't. Ready for round...what did we stop on?"

"Who cares," I replied, only to feel all rational thought vacate the immediate area when she leaned forward and kissed me.

So...yeah: we went another round. Surprising, isn't it?

"My, my," Vik mused, "Aren't you an amorous individual."

Don't judge me, Vik. It's hard to resist when my wife has stunning looks on her side.

"Hmm...If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're making excuses."

Oh, I totally am.

"Ah. Well, it is said that honesty is key..."

By the time we were done with this unknown round of bedroom antics, we were both exhausted.

"D-Damn," Alannah panted, "Wh-What time is it?"

"Currently, it is six twenty-two in the morning," Leonard answered.

I frowned. "Did you just speak, Lenny?"

"Yes sir, I did. Not only do I have access to your helmet, I also have access to any other tech you utilize. The old intercom in this room sufficed, so here I am. Oh, and I do hope you realize you did not use a condom last night for your...eight bouts of heated lovemaking."

I felt my jaw go slack, and I slowly looked at Alannah.

She shrugged as she got up from our bed and started getting dressed.

"C'est la vie," Ali said, only to cringe to herself, "Damn, I'm actually sore for once. Bravo, love."

"Um, what if you become pregnant?" I prompted her.

"You've forgotten before in the past, so what's different now?"

"That still doesn't make it any better, love," I hissed, stumbling to my feet and running a hand through my hair, "Fuck, I can't believe I forgot–!"

"Don't worry," Alannah breathed as she embraced me, "We'll be okay, love."

I loosed a deep sigh and returned her embrace. "Alright...we should probably get ready and round up our crew of nutjobs."

"That's why I was actually putting on pants," she replied, winking at me as she wiggled her rear, "That's when you know I mean business."

"Yes, yes. How could I forget," I grumbled, "If it was possible for you to be any more shameless, you'd walk around with no pants on."

"Naaah. If it weren't so cold, I'd just forget clothes altogether."

Attempting–and failing–to ignore the images my mind conjured up, I focused on putting my armor on and breathed a sigh of relief when my flustered expression was hidden by my helmet.

"Ah yes, how nice of you to gear up early for once," Lenny drawled, "To date, this is the tenth time you have forgone a condom, Cylus. Boreas would be ashamed of you."