Kids?

*Liam's POV*

Louis and I have been married for a little over 5 years now, but we've been together for almost 14 years. We met in school and the rest, as they say, is history. We've talked about kids before, but nothing too serious. However, after attending another one of our friends' child's birthday parties, it donned on me that Louis and I were the only couple that didn't have kids yet. All my friends were talking about was their kids and I couldn't relate. Seeing my friends' children running around and playing together made me, I hate to use the word jealous but yeah, jealous that I didn't have my own kids. I think Louis could tell how I was feeling. He knows I want kids, but he's always been a bit reluctant. He's wonderful with kids but I think he's worried that he's not ready or mature enough, despite him being 30 years old. Yeah, he can be a bit childish sometimes, but what grown man isn't? We were laying in bed watching television when I decide to bring up kids again.

"Hey, Louis, can I talk to you?"

"About?" he asks, though I'm pretty sure he already knew.

"Kids," I say with pleading eyes.

"I knew attending these children's parties would be a bad influence on you!" he exclaims playfully, shaking his head.

"I'm serious though, Lou. I think a child would be good for us."

"You really think so?"

"Yes, I do. We need to have some kind of responsibility other than just ourselves. Yes we go out and have fun together, but what happens when you have to go away for work? I'm stuck at home all by myself."

"All byyy myyy se-eeelf!!" Louis sings loudly.

Normally I would have laughed, but right now I'm trying to be serious. "Louis..." I whine a little.

"Sorry, love. I couldn't resist. But I don't know if I'm ready. I'm not the greatest with kids."

"What are you talking about? You're amazing with kids. You have 6 younger siblings of your own and I know you helped your mum with them."

"I think my step dads had a lot to do with that. Not me."

"Doesn't matter. You know you're good with kids. I've seen you talk with our friends about their kids. I've seen you play with their kids. I've even seen you discipline their kids. You know what you're doing. Why are you so reluctant?"

"I just... I..." Louis stutters.

"Is it me?"

"What?" Louis asks, suddenly very confused.

"Is it me?"

"No, darling. No, no, no. That's not it at all. I love you more than anything and of course I want kids with you. It's just..." He took a deep sigh, trying to collect his thoughts. "It's 'cause I know what it's like to have a parent who isn't ready to (and really shouldn't) be a parent. It really impacts the child. I couldn't live with myself if I caused that kind of damage to a child! I... I..."

"Lou, Lou! Shhh... Listen to me." I say trying to quiet him before he got too panicky. "I understand why you feel that way, but you are not your father. You are a much better man and you will be a much better father than he could ever hope to be. I can promise you that."

"Really?"

"Yes, of course. I told you from day 1 that I wanted children. Do you honestly think I would have married you if I thought you'd end up being just like your father?"

"No... probably not..."

"Exactly. Now, if you're really not ready, we can wait, but..."

"No. I'm ready. If you're ready and you think I'm ready, then I'm ready."

"Good." I say with a smile. I give Louis a little peck on the forehead.

"But...." Louis starts, "how exactly are we going to get a child? It's not like we can get pregnant."

"Well there aren't exactly many options."

"What about surrogacy?" Louis asks. "We could have a baby Louis or Liam running around the house."

I ponder the idea for a few seconds, then decide against it. "No. It would be nice to have a baby that I know shares our genes, but when I was younger I volunteered at this orphanage. It was a sad place and there were so many children there. Children that just wanted attention and someone to love them. We can do that. We could give one of them a home. "

"Yeah, we have plenty of love to go around," he says and kisses my forehead. "But are you completely sure this is what you want?"

"I don't think I've ever been more sure of anything in my life, other than marrying you of course," I say with a smile.

"Well darling, if that is what you wish."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."