Home Again

*Louis's POV*

It's a few days later, New Years Eve, to be exact, and after lots of paperwork (and an angel named Carrie), we finally get to bring Zayn home. We'll have to wait a while before his adoption is finalized, but at least we get to bring him home. 

"Papa, how long before we get there?" Harry asks, kicking his legs in his car seat.

"Just a few minutes, my love," I answer. "And please stop kicking my seat."

Harry stops kicking and sighs. "Daddy, drive faster! Wanna see Zaynie!"

"Nee!" Niall chimes in happily.

"Harry, we don't yell at Daddy. He's driving as fast as he's legally allowed." Well actually he's going about 10 mph above the speed limit, but Harry won't know the difference. "We'll be there soon, I promise."

He grumbles and pouts. I can hear a tantrum coming on. He's kicking around in his seat. 

"Harry, sweetheart, calm down. We're almost there," Liam says. 

"Wanna see Zaynie!!" Harry wails. As sweet as Harry is, he's still a three year old and when he's upset about something, everyone needs to know.

Niall startles at Harry's outburst and starts to get fussy. 

"Hey, hey, shhhh. No need to be upset," I reach over and pop Niall's dummy back into his mouth so he'll calm down. "Harry, baby, don't cry. I know you want to see Zayn. You're just so excited to see him, huh"

"Yeah." Harry nods and wipes tears from his eyes. 

"Okay, but you need to calm down. Niall doesn't like shouting. We don't want to scare the baby, do we?" Harry shakes his head. "And we don't want Zayn to see you crying when we go to bring him home, do we?" He shakes his head again and wipes all the tears from his eyes. "That's my good boy. And look! We're here!"

"See Zaynie?!" Harry asks, looking out the window.

*************************************

Zayn's adoption party goes much like Harry and Niall's. All the kids are gathered. Miss Zoe made cookies. Zayn gets his picture taken for the Hope Wall wearing his new outfit. But something is different. The staff just seem... different. Lighter is the only word I can come up with to describe it. Like a weight has been lifted off of them. We've only been here for a couple hours or so, but I'm pretty sure every staff member has come to thank Liam and me for adopting Zayn and how happy they are that he's getting a new family.  Zayn is actually smiling and talking with other kids at his party. For someone who doesn't like crowds and barely talks unless he needs to, this is big. Harry hasn't left Zayn's side since we got in the door. He's telling everyone that Zayn is his brother. Miss Carrie has just finished making her speech about Zayn. A few tears were shed by the staff... and Liam (and me). It's finally time to take Zayn home. 

"Ready to go, buddy?" I ask.

"We go home now?!" Harry asks. 

Zayn looks around the room and takes a deep breath. He waves at everybody one last time and looks back at me. "I'm ready." 

Harry grabs his hand and practically drags him out to the car. He's so excited. He's can't stop talking about he excited he is that Zayn is coming home and that he gets to sit next to him in the car (the two in carseats on the ends and Zayn in the middle). He won't let go of his hand either. I was worried Zayn would be getting annoyed, but if he is, he's not showing it. He has this small smile on his face while he listens to Harry go on and on and on (and on) about our house. 

When we get home, Liam puts Niall down for his nap while Harry gives Zayn the grand tour of the house. It goes on longer than necessary, but Zayn doesn't seem to mind. We spend lots of time in Harry's room (his "favorite room in the whole entire house) so he can show Zayn all his toys. 

"Hey, Harry," I say when Harry decides it's a good idea to point out the color of each of his legos... each and every lego. 

"Yes, Papa."

"Don't you think Zayn would like to see his room?" 

Harry gasps. "I forgetted!! Come on Zaynie!!" Harry shouts, dragging Zayn down the hall. 

"Shh! Don't wake up Niall," Liam gently scolds. Harry chooses to ignore him. 

"This is your room, Zaynie," Harry says, pointing to wooden sign hanging on the door that says 'ZAYN' in red letters. 

Zayn opens the door and audibly gasps. 

We didn't have much time, but we spent the whole week getting the room, which used to be out guest room, set up for him. We went with a soft grey on 3 walls and a dark navy as an accent wall. We thought about going with red like we did for his door sign, but decided that might be a bit too harsh. We went with dark wood furniture and dark trim all around. Navy bedding and navy curtains. New clothes in the closet and dresser, with a promise to let him pick things out when we go shopping later. Plush beige carpet to match the other boys rooms. And finally, two tall bookcases. One packed with some of mine and Liam's favorites from when we were kids and some of the current top books for kids Zayn's age. The other bookcase is completely empty for whatever books Zayn chooses when we go to the bookstore, which we'll probably do more often now that Liam has Zayn to accompany him and nerd out about books with. Zayn has tears in his eyes. 

"Do you like it?" I ask. Zayn nods and sniffles. "Come here, buddy." Zayn comes toward us and Liam and I hug him tight. 

"Is it all for me?" Zayn asks. 

"All yours," Liam says. 

Zayn buries his face in Liam's shoulder and hugs both of us tight. "Thank you," Zayn says.

"We're so happy to have you home," I say.

****************************************

We stay up late that night in order to ring in the new year together as a family. We watch the celebrations on the tv and countdown together. 

"Happy New Year!" Liam shouts before he kisses me. 

"Happy New Year!" Harry and Zayn shout back.

"'appy..." Niall mumbles, desperately trying to fight sleep. 

We mumble through Auld Lang Syne (because who actually knows all the words to that song?) along with the people on tv. 

"We're starting the new year off right," I say. "With my wonderful gorgeous husband," I say before I kiss him.

"And our three beautiful amazing boys," Liam adds. We kiss each of our boys on the head and have a family cuddle session (a cuddle puddle?) before bed. 

We're starting this year so different to how we did last year, but I'm so excited for what's to come now that we have our three boys with us. 

****************************************

*Author's Note*

So... hi. Long time no post. Sorry about that. I was looking over this today and somehow chapters ended up getting out of order. I don't know how long they were like that, but they should be all fixed now. Sorry if it was confusing. But looking at this again, I was motivated to finish this chapter and I did it!! Sorry it took so long. I hope it was worth the wait (if not, just pretend it was). 

But yes! Zayn is finally home!!! I'm so happy! I have a couple chapters with Zayn in it that I wrote like 3 years ago (how has it been 3 years?!?) when I started writing this, but I wasn't there in the story yet, so I couldn't post them. I need to go back and double check that they still make sense with where the story is now, but you'll be happy to know this is not the last chapter and I have some that will (hopefully) come out very soon. 

Thank you to anybody and everybody that still reads this. I've gotten so many messages that they don't want me to quit on this story and that makes me really happy, so thank you all for that! 

As always, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and feel free to leave me comments. If you have suggestions, leave those too if you like. I can't guarantee I'll use them, but I'll try to work them in. 

Happy Reading!