We're Not Getting a Puppy

*Liam's POV*

"So how do we do this? We just walk in and pick one?" Louis asks in the car sitting outside the adoption agency office.

"Yes. We walk in and say 'I want that one' and take him or her home. NO!! This isn't a pet adoption! We're not getting a puppy, we're getting a human child! There are certain procedures we have to go through before we even get to the child stage."

"Okay! Sorry, I didn't know. I've never adopted a child before! But while we're on the subject, can we get a puppy?"

"FOCUS!!" I take a deep breath to calm myself down and let out a big sigh. "Maybe we're not ready for this..."

"Babe, no. I was just joking around. We're ready. You know we are. I know we are."

"Okay, come on then. Let's go get this started," I say and kiss Louis's cheek as we get out of the car.

*****************************************************************************

"This is a long process and could take a few years before a child is placed with you. Are you sure you're still okay with this?"

I look at Louis for confirmation but he was already nodding his head to the woman in front of us.

"Yes," I said. "We're sure."

"Alright. I just need you to sign a few more documents and we can start getting you processed."

*****************************************************************************

*Louis's POV*

We were in bed that night and I couldn't stop thinking about how long of a process adoption is. When Liam talked about the orphanage I thought you just walked in and picked a kid. I didn't know there was all this paperwork to go along with it. And it could take years we could still not get approved!

"Babe?"

"Hmm?" Liam hums, already falling asleep.

"How long do you think it'll be?"

"hmm..." he hums into the pillow, clearly not wanting to talk but I couldn't get this off of my mind.

"Liaaam... pay attention to meeeee..."

"Okay," he says rubbing his eyes. He turns so he is looking at me. "What is it?"

"How long do you think it'll be before we get our babies?"

"I don't know Lou. The lady said it could be a few years. "

"But I want them now..." I say with a pout.

"This coming from the man who just recently said he wasn't sure he was ready to even have children," he says with a smirk.

"Well, I've changed my mind," I retort. "I want them now."

"I know," he says, kissing my forehead. "I do too, but we just have to be patient."

"What if they don't approve us?"

"Don't think about that. It won't do you any good to think of the negatives. Just think of when we finally get to hold our little boy or girl for the first time. How great that will feel."

"I can't wait for that day."

"Me too."