Going Home

*Liam's POV*

It had been 9 days since we saw Harry. 2 days ago we had our home visit. A woman came to our house to make sure everything was set up and safe for Harry to move in. Today, we get to bring him home. 

We pull up outside the orphanage and we're both nervous and excited. Before we left, we had packed the car with things for Harry: snacks, drinks, and toys to keep him occupied on the drive home. I turn off the car and  look over at Louis, who has had a constant grin on his face all day. 

"Ready to bring our baby home?" he asks cheerily.

I just nod and give a smile. 

We ring the bell and are greeted by a very animated Carrie. "Hello!" she practically shouts. "Today's the day! Are you excited?"

"Most definitely!" I assure. "Where is he?"

"Oh, he's just saying 'bye' to the other children. We have a little tradition here. The everyone gathers in the main room and we wish the child well in their new home. We take their picture, put it on the 'Hope Wall' for everyone else to see and know they won't be forgotten, give them their backpack, and send them off wearing their new outfit for their special day."

"That sounds adorable," Louis comments.

"Come see for yourself." Carrie leads us into another room where a group of about 20 children and Carrie's co-workers are gathered. There's a wall (the Hope Wall) with dozens of photos of children where Harry and Zoe are currently pinning up his photo. The photos are all organized around the quote "Never lose hope."

Harry turns around and his eyes light up when he sees us. "Daddies!!!" he screams and runs over. 

I kneel down and Harry runs into my arms. I kiss his cheek and pick him up so Louis can kiss him too.

"Hi sweetheart. Did you miss me and Papa?"

"Yeah! Lots and lots!" Harry screeches with a very exaggerated head nod.

"We missed you too, baby," Louis says. "Are you ready to go home."

Harry enthusiastically nods. 

"Harry," a woman calls, "we have one more thing for you."

Harry wiggles to get down and goes over to the woman. She pulls a blue backpack from the table and shows it to him. "This is your 'going home backpack.' It has all of your things and a few surprises as well. You've been such a good boy and now it's time to go to your new home." She puts the backpack on him and he looks so happy. 

"Thank you, Miss Louise!" 

"You're very welcome, Harry," Miss Louise replies. 

Harry gives her a hug, then proceeds to go down the line and hugs all the caretakers. Zoe hugs him and whispers a little something in his ear to make him giggle. He moves on to Carrie who is smiling so brightly. His head gets buried in her curly blonde hair during their hug. She then takes his hand and leads him over to us. 

"Ready to go?" Carrie asks.

Harry enthusiastically nods up at her and lifts his arms so Louis can pick him up. 

Louis whispers something into Harry's ear and then he shouts "bye!" with a wave to all the children. All the children wave back, some more enthusiastically than others, but all with a smile.

Carrie leads us out of the room and walks us outside. 

"Thank you so much," I say to Carrie. "You've helped us so much, and now... look where we are. "

"Oh, no need to thank me. I'm just doing my job." I pull her into a hug anyway and she gives a little chuckle. "You're welcome. I'm glad I could help."

Louis gives her a hug. "Thank you, and your staff here for taking such good care of Harry. Thank you for everything," he adds. 

"You're very welcome," she replies. "And Harry, you deserve this so much. You're such a good boy, and your daddies love you very much. Be a good boy, have fun, and know that you're always welcome to come visit."

"Thank you, Miss Carrie." Harry gives her one final hug and then we head out to the car. 

We had decided that I would sit in the back with Harry while Louis drove home. We didn't know if Harry remembers ever being in a car or how he would react. It's just easier to have someone there in case he gets fussy.

I take Harry's backpack off him and Louis buckles him in his car seat. I get in on the opposite side of Harry and pull out his bear and blanket so he'll be more comfortable for the ride and decide to leave the extra 'surprises' in the bag for later. 

Louis gets ready to start the car and looks back at us. "Ready to go home?" he asks.

"Yeah!!" Harry shouts.

"Then let's go home," Louis says, starting the car.

This is it. On a sunny day at the end of April, we get to bring our baby home.