Zayn's Birthday!

*Liam's POV*

It's Zayn's 12th birthday today! It's the first birthday any of our boys have had with us. To say Louis and I are excited would be an understatement. We've never planned a birthday party for one of our own children before. Well it's not so much a party as it is a family dinner. Zayn just started at a new school, the same school Louis works at, since coming to live with us. We figured having a big party with classmates he barely knows would not be a great idea. But there will definitely be cake and party hats at dinner. 

Louis and I are about to wake Zayn up for school. Louis holds a present with a balloon tied to it. I rub his back, trying to gently wake him. 

"Good morning, sunshine. It's your birthday! You're 12 today!" I say softly.

"Wake up, Zayn!" Louis says, turning on Zayn's bedside lamp.

Zayn rubs his eyes and sits up in his bed. He smiles when he sees us with a present for him. 

"Good morning, bud! Happy birthday!" Louis leans down to hug him and kiss his head. I sit next to Zayn and pull him in for a hug. 

"We're so happy that you're here, Zayn. So happy we get to celebrate your birthday with you. We love you so much," I say. 

Zayn doesn't say anything, but he leans closer into my side, letting me know he's happy. 

"We got you something," Louis says, handing Zayn his wrapped present and balloon. 

He opens the present slowly, letting the balloon fly up to the ceiling. He gasps when he finally gets it open. We got him an iPhone. Maybe he's a little young, but we thought he deserved it.

"Do you like it?" I ask. Zayn nods. "Good. We hoped you would. We'll set it up tonight when you get home from school, okay."

He nods again. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Happy birthday, Zayn." We each give him a hug. 

"Now, I hate to be the destroyer of fun, but there are some rules with this," Louis says. "Now, you're allowed games and music of course, but we're not allowing you to have social media accounts yet."

"What's social media?" Zayn asks.

"It's a way of communicating to people on the internet, but you don't need to worry about that. You're a little too young for it," I say. 

"You are not allowed to use it at school, except for emergency situations," Louis says. "That's not my rule. That's the school's rule and I don't want it to be taken away from you. Other than that, it's all yours." Louis pulls him in for another hug. "We'll set it up when you get home from school. Now, I think it's time for some breakfast. How does pancakes sound? Liam has them all set up downstairs."

It might be strange having him call us by our first names, but considering Zayn had someone he used to call 'dad', we felt it would be wrong to force that upon him. We'll let him choose what he wants to call us, within reason of course. Until then, we're still Liam and Louis to him. 

I lead him downstairs while Louis goes to wake Harry and Niall. 

"Wow," Zayn says when he sees the spread on the table. 

"We didn't know what you liked, so we got a bit of everything," I say. There's pancakes, of course. There's also strawberries, bananas, blueberries, oranges, apples, eggs, bacon, and sausages. "Go ahead and pick whatever you like. I'll get you some juice. Is apple fine?" Zayn nods and starts piling food on his plate. I set his juice down and he digs into his food. For as thin as he is, he has an appetite like a footballer. "Slow down, bud. You have time to eat. Don't want to make yourself sick on your birthday, do you?" He slows down a little, but not much.