Miss Zoe Cookies

*Liam's POV*

It had been a little over a week since we first saw Harry. Carrie called us yesterday and told us we could come in for another visit and arrange a home visit. So, here we were, parked outside the orphanage, excited to see Harry again.

"Ready?" I ask Louis after I turn off the car.

"Of course! I was ready ten minutes after he left the room last time," Louis sassed.

"Okay, sassy-pants. Let's go."

"I told you not to call me that..." Louis says with a scowl, getting out of the car.

I just shrug (with a little smirk) and ring the doorbell. Someone different answers the door today, which surprises me a little bit. 

"Hello!" she says cheerfully. "I'm Zoe. Are you Carrie's 2 o'clock appointment?"

"Yes we are. We're a bit early," Louis answers. It's only 1:30. We left really early and the drive went a lot quicker than we thought it would. I knew we should have waited in the car for a bit.

"That's alright," Zoe replies. "If you'll just take a seat over here, I'll go check to see if Carrie is ready for you."

"Thank you." Louis and I go sit in chairs in the... waiting room? Is that what this is called? The lobby? I don't know. 

"She's so tiny," Louis whispers.

"Who?" I ask.

"Zoe. She's so tiny. How on earth does she work with children?" Louis questions. "She wouldn't have stood a chance in my house with me and my crazy sisters."

I have to admit, Zoe is rather petite. Probably couldn't lift a child if they were very heavy. Then I remember something Harry said. "She's the one who makes the cookies."

"Oh yeah," Louis remembers. "That must be her trick. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, especially if it's feeding you cookies."

Just about that time Zoe comes back in with a plate with two massive cookies on it. "Carrie will be ready in a few minutes. She's just finishing up some paperwork. I'll come get you when she's ready. In the mean time, I brought you some cookies. I hope you like them. I made them myself," she says with a little smile.

"Thank you," I reply. "Harry had said you make some really good cookies. They're his favorite."

"Really?" she asks with a little blush. "Well that boy does have quite the sweet tooth. I can give you the recipe if you like."

"That would be lovely," Louis says. 

"Great. I'll write it down and come back when Carrie is ready."

"Thank you," I reply. "These cookies are massive," I say to Louis once Zoe has walked away. 

"No wonder Harry likes them. They're practically the size of his head," Louis giggles and takes a bite of his cookie. "Oh my God. Try that," Louis insists, taking another bite.

I bite into my cookie and my eyes roll back in my head a little. It's like nothing I've ever tasted before. Certainly better than anything I've ever made. For a second it felt like the world disappeared and it was just me and this cookie. "I think I'm in love," I say. "I'm in love with this cookie."

"I would marry this cookie," Louis responds.

"Are you open to polygamy?" I ask.

"If it's with this cookie, then yes," Louis asserts. 

We finish our cookies and Louis immediately states "I want another," while wiping his hands on a napkin.

"No. We can't. We're here to see our son, not just eat cookies. Remember?" 

"Yeah... but can't we have cookies too?" Louis questions innocently.

"Maybe later. I'll make some when we go home," I offer.

"Not the same..." Louis pouts. "But I guess since you offered."

Zoe comes back in with a recipe in hand. "Carrie is ready for you and here is the recipe for the cookies."

"Your cookies are amazing," Louis remarked. "Did you come up with the recipe yourself?"

"No, a friend of mine did, but I kinda stole it from her. Shh..." She giggles with her finger in front of her mouth. "I'm glad you like them though."

"They're the best cookies I've ever had. You should go on Great British Bake Off. Just makes these cookies and you'd probably win," I attest.

"Oh, I doubt that," Zoe declines. "But thank you anyway."

Zoe leads us over to Carrie's office and knocks on the door. 

"Come in!" Carrie calls. 

_______________________________________________________________

*Author's Note*

Just a short one for now. I haven't updated in a while, so I hope this will do!