Good Night... Dad

Liam's POV

"Aaghh!! Daddy! Wake up daddy!! DADDY!!! Dee! Dee!!! DADDY wake up!!"

"Zayn. ZAYN! Zayn, darling, wake up." He wakes up and his eyes go wide. He shuffles away from me slightly before he realizes it's me. He immediately covers his face with his hands and takes a deep breath. He continues to breathe heavily for a few seconds before he calms down. "Zayn, what happened?" I ask softly. "Darling, please talk to me."

"I.. um.. bad dream," He mumbles with his face still covered.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He looks up at me for a second, then shakes his head no. I really wish he would talk to me. "Do you want me to get Papa?" He shakes his head again. "Are you sure?" 

He nods his head yes. "I'm sorry... for waking you."

"It's alright Zayn. I was up anyway." I wasn't but he doesn't need to know that. He doesn't need to apologize. "I'm sorry you had a nightmare. Does this happen often? Nightmares?"

Zayn shrugs his shoulders a bit. 

"Have you had any since coming here?" I ask. He shakes his head no, but looks away. It's not very convincing. "Are you lying?" He looks up at me then back down, keeping his head hung low. That would be a yes.

"Is this the first nightmare you've had since coming here?" He shakes his head no. I can't help but sigh. My poor boy. "Do they happen every night?" He picks his head up and shakes his head no. Okay, not as bad as I thought. "Every week?" He shrugs, so that's basically a yes. Not as good as I had hoped either. 

"I'm so sorry sweetheart." I hug him because I can't think of anything else to do. I feel a bit stupid for not knowing about this. "Zayn, look at me." He picks his head up and looks at me. I run my fingers through his hair. "You know you're safe here, right? You're safe here and you can talk to me and Papa about anything. You don't have to keep this to yourself. You'll never be in trouble for having a nightmare. You'll never be in trouble for coming to us when something is bothering you. Okay? You know we love you and just want to make sure you're okay."

Zayn nods. 

"Good. I wanted to make sure.  I'm gonna go back to bed. Are you okay here? You're welcome to join me and Papa. We don't mind." Zayn shakes his head. "You're okay?" He nods. "Okay, well, good night, Zayn." I kiss his head and tuck him back into bed.

I'm almost out the door before I hear a quiet "Um... D-Dad?"

My head whips around so quickly I'm surprised I don't have whiplash. He called me 'dad'. He did it! I try to play it cool though.

"Yeah, Zayn?"

"Can, um, is that okay? Can I call you Dad."

I step back into the room and give him a big hug. "Of course you can call me 'dad'. I love being your dad." Zayn lets out a relieved sigh. "I was hoping you would, but I'm not picky. I love being 'dad' but if you're not comfortable with that, you can call me something else. Whatever you're comfortable with is perfect for me."

"I like Dad."

"Then dad it is. I love you, Zayn."

"Love you, Dad."

"Good night, buddy."

"Good night."

I close the door softly and quietly sprint back to my room and jump on the bed to wake up Louis. "LOUUU!!!!" I whisper yell. "Loubear wake up!!!"

"What's going on?" He wakes up with a start. "Are the kids okay?" 

"They're fine. They're fine. Sorry to startle you, but guess what!" I'm so excited.

"What?" He asks looking over at the alarm clock and rolls his eyes. It's only 4am.

"Zayn called me 'Dad'!!"

"He did?!" Louis's face is so happy. "That's amazing!!" He hugs me tight. We've been waiting for this. We didn't think it would happen! We thought I would just be 'Liam' forever! "Wait... why were you with Zayn?" Louis asks. "Is he okay?"

"Oh, he had a bad dream, the poor thing," I say with a frown.

"What about?"

"I don't know. He wouldn't tell me. Apparently he gets nightmares quite regularly. Did you know that?" I ask.

Louis frowns. "No. I didn't. How regular is regularly?"

"Every week, give or take. He didn't give me a specific amount. I don't think he felt like talking much."

Louis sighs. "Okay, well, we'll discuss that later.  It's 4am. I think I'm gonna go back to sleep," Louis mumbles as he lays back down.

"Okay, love. Good night." I kiss his forehead and try to go back to sleep myself, but I can't stop thinking about my poor Zayn. He's been through so much, but we still have so much further to go. 

******************************************************************************

*Author's Note*

OMG IT HAPPENED!! Liam is 'dad' again and everything is right with the world. (Well not everything but you know what I mean). 

Next chapter should be up really soon. It's not the Niall chapter, but that one should be after it. I hope that's okay. The next one is good, I promise. 

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed this one! As always, please feel free to leave me comments! Also, feel free to make suggestions. I can't guarantee I'll use them, but I'll try to find some way to fit them in.

Happy Reading!