You've Been an Angel

*Louis's POV*

Carrie comes back a few minutes later. "I think that went pretty well."

"He's definitely not shy," I comments.

"No, not by any means," Carrie replies. "He'll talk to anybody. He's very well spoken for his age. It's a bit surprising. We're not really sure where he gets if from. Zoe, my coworker, thinks its because he likes to follow us around and talk to us rather than the children, but I really couldn't say."

"Does he not like playing with other children?" Liam asks. Because obviously that could be a problem when he has to start school.

"No, he does. He plays with them fine. I thinks its more that the adults are more likely to pay attention to him than the other children. Not all children like to just sit and talk."

"Understandable," I say. A child who loves to be the center of attention. I'm starting to wonder if Harry is actually blood-related to me.

"So, I know the meeting with him was very short, first meetings usually are, I'm sure you have questions."

"Yeah? Can I ask why he started crying?" Liam asks. "Like I understand saying goodbye, but he looked devastated that he had to leave. Is that normal? Does he have like... oh what's it called? Um... uh..."

"Separation anxiety?" I suggest.

"Yeah, that," Liam confirms.

"Not necessarily. He's not really close enough with anyone to have that. I think its more because this isn't the first time he's met potential parents. A few months ago a couple came in to potentially adopt him and they really hit it off. But after the first meeting they never came back, even after they said they would. Like I said before, he likes to talk with people. He talks to the older children sometimes and they're not as optimistic about getting adopted as the younger children. First meetings don't always work out, especially for the older children. A lot of them have been here for several years. Some of them are still dealing with issues from their past and not all people are willing to put in the effort it takes to have a child like that. They lose hope and that sometimes rubs off onto the younger children."

"That's terrible," I can't imagine what the children in the house are feeling. "How can people do that to a child? Give them hope and the just take it away and never look back. They move on and leave the child to wonder what they did wrong. That's not right. Did the people who came a couple months ago even give a reason for not coming back for Harry?"

"Not really. We tried to contact them and they just said they weren't interested anymore. Before that a couple thought he was too hyper, too loud. They ended up adopting someone else. "

"Are you kidding me? He's three! Were they looking for a robot?" I exclaim. How could anybody not want Harry? I don't understand people sometimes.

"Well, I'm glad they didn't adopt him because now we can," Liam interjects, looking at me and grabbing my hand, obviously trying to calm me down.

"Yeah, me too."

"Me three," Carrie adds with a little giggle. "Really, I think you'll be wonderful for him. And clearly you already care about him and I'm pretty sure he cares about you. I'll have a talk with him after lunch for my report, but it all seems good. You should be able to take him home in a few weeks."

"That's great," I say. This is the best news I've heard all day.

"Um, is there anything we need to know about him that wasn't in the file? We tried asking him some things but there was only so much he could tell." Leave it to Liam to ask logical "dad" questions. I knew I kept him around for a reason.

"I noticed. Still have a lot of shopping to do?"

"Well, we got the call yesterday and we wanted to meet him before we bought anything significant. We want to get things that he'll like."

"Yeah," I add. "We didn't want to get like a race car bed and find out that he hates cars. Or paint his room blue and find out he hates that color."

"Well, as far as toys go, he's pretty easy to please, honestly. He does love cars and trains and he likes to build things. He uses the blocks and legos when he plays with the older children. He likes story time at night. The children's room has a night light, so you might want to take that into consideration. As he said, blue and orange are his favorite colors, but I don't think he's that picky. As for clothing, he's been wearing size 3-4. They're a little bit big, but he'll grow into them very quickly. He's potty trained for the most part, but he wears nappies to bed just incase. He's not a very picky eater. He has a big sweet tooth, though. Don't let him con you into given him cookies, because he will and he'll look adorable doing it," Carrie said with a chuckle. 'He's not allergic to anything that I know of. Anything else you want to know?"

"I think that's pretty good actually. Thank you," Liam says putting his phone away, obviously taking notes the whole time.

"Excellent. Now, I have to give my report and send it to the agency for approval, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Then we'll do a home visit and if everything checks out alright, then you can take him home."

"Wonderful. Thank you so much. You've been an angel." She really is the loveliest woman I had ever met. She gets up to give Liam and me a hug.

"You're very welcome. I'm glad you two could provide such a loving home for Harry. He deserves it."

"Yes he does. Thank you again. Louis and I have been waiting for this for so long and..." Liam seems to be getting a little teary-eyed... again.

"I understand. I'll call when I hear back from the agency and we can arrange another meeting and the home visit."

"Okay, thank you. Goodbye."

"Goodbye."