Clingy

*Louis's POV*

So school is finally out for the summer and I get to spend more time with Harry, which is amazing. I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit jealous of the amount of time Liam got to spend with him because he stayed home all the time. I don't know. Sometimes it feels like Harry is closer with Liam but Liam always says that's not the case and he gravitates toward me. I don't know. I do know that he is a very clingy child. 

For a while he was very independent. Now he never wants to leave our sides. He won't play by himself. He wants one of us there with him all time. I get that it's more fun to play with someone else, but aren't kids supposed to be able to play on their own from time to time? Not that I don't love playing with Harry, but there are times when Liam and I really need to get some work done and we just can't because Harry needs us. He also refuses to stay in his room by himself. He cries if we try to leave before he's fallen asleep. He constantly wants to be cuddled and held, which I absolutely love, but it's getting a bit excessive. Liam says it's normal for kids to go through clingy phases but I don't know. It's starting to worry me. 

The reason I'm worrying now is because we're leaving Harry with Liam's parents for the night. We haven't done anything just the two of us since Harry came home. Harry is very comfortable around Liam's parents, but we've never left him with anybody before and I'm nervous.

Liam and I are still getting ready when his parents arrive. 

*doorbell*

"That'll be my parents. I'll go let them in," Liam says, his tie loose and hair only halfway done.

"Why Nana and Granddad come,  Papa?" Harry asks. He's been sitting in the bathroom with us while we get ready.

"I told you, bug. Daddy and I are going out, remember? Nana and Granddad are gonna stay with you here while you're sleeping," I explain.

"You... you leave?" asks cautiously.

I pause while fixing my hair and look at Harry through the mirror. His mouth is wobbling and he already looks on the verge of tears.

"Oh, baby..." I stop what I'm doing and kneel down to Harry's level. "Look at me." Harry looks up and meets me with watery eyes. "Daddy and I are gonna put you to bed and we'll wait until you fall asleep. Then we're gonna go to dinner. Nana and Granddad are gonna stay here while you sleep. Daddy and I will come back and be here before you wake up in the morning. Okay?"

"But... you not be home?" Harry sniffles.

"Just for a little bit, baby. Daddy and I will come right back when we're done with dinner. I promise."

"No go!" Harry cries and clings to my neck. I can't help but sigh. I knew this would happen.

"Harry, come say 'hi' to... What's wrong?" Liam questions.

"He doesn't want us to go," I answer with a pout. I pick Harry up as he sniffles into my neck.

"Oh, sweetheart, it's okay," Liam soothes. "Can you look at Daddy?"

Harry shakes his head no. 

"No? Are you sure?" Harry shakes his head no again. "But I want to see your pretty face. Can you show me? Daddy wants to see," Liam coaxes.

I can't explain why this technique works, but it always does. I guess Harry just likes being told he's pretty.

Harry shifts around and peeks one eye at Liam.

"There we go. There's my handsome boy," Liam coos. "Come see Daddy for a bit." Liam takes Harry from me and sets him on his hip. "Look at me, Harry." Harry looks up with teary eyes. "Papa and I are gonna leave after you go to sleep and we'll be back before you wake up in the morning. You won't even know we're gone. And if anything does happen, Nana and Granddad are gonna be here with you. You're safe. You're a big boy. You can do this. Okay? Can you be a big boy for Papa and Daddy?"