Valentine's Day

*Louis' POV*

It's Valentine's Day! I know lots of people brush it off as some cheesy marketing scheme, but I love it. Yes, we love each other every day, but I love having a special day to celebrate how much you love the people you love. I just love love. 

The day starts out with heart shaped eggs and toast for breakfast. Each boy gets a little bear with a red heart that says 'I love you,' which Harry insisted on taking to school with him. I took Harry and Zayn to school, both excited for the parties they are having in class today. 

The day went fairly easily without much being accomplished, but you can't blame the students for not working when the school is filled with balloons, teddy bears, and chocolate. 

"Papa, can I ask you something?" Zayn asks on the way home from school.

"Of course, honey. Ask away," I reply.

"Is... um... is Liam mad at me?"

"Mad at you? No. I don't think so. Why would you think he's mad at you, bub?"

"Because I call him Liam and not, like, you know..."

"No, baby. He's not mad. We told you it was okay to call us by our first names until you got comfortable. We understand."

"Okay... It's just... he gets this look on his face sometimes..." Zayn has a little pout on his face.

"He does, doesn't he..." I sigh. "It's not because of you..."

"How could it not be about me?!" he interrupts. I give him a look and he quiets down. 

"Well, look at it from his perspective. Liam has looked forward to being a parent since we were teenagers. The fact that we now have 3 kids after years of thinking it would never happen is crazy. And keep in mind, we've been parents for less than a year. We never anticipated adopting 3 kids at 3 very different ages all within a year. We wouldn't change that for the world because we love each of you so much, but at the same time, there is a big adjustment period for us and for you kids where we have to figure out our place in each other's lives. We've each been living very differently up until we brought you three home. We each have different expectations. He's been 'daddy' for so long in his head and to Harry and Niall, the fact that he's not that to you yet can be a little frustrating. But at the same time, you had two loving parents before us and you've only known us for a few months. Who are we to say what you should call us? You know?" Zayn nods. "It's a lot to handle for each of us. Plus, and please don't take this the wrong way, but it is a just a little bit weird to have your child call you by their first name. Also, I think he's probably just a little bit jealous."

"'Cause I call you Papa?"

"Yeah. I think so. Liam loves being a father. He loves when Harry and Niall call him 'daddy' or 'dad', just like I love when you all call me Papa."

"I never had a Papa before..."

I look at him and it clicks. I sigh before saying "but you had a 'daddy'."

"Yeah..." 

"I understand, honey. Like we said, you can call us by our first names for as long as you want until you feel comfortable. We're not going to force you. It has to come from you. Whenever you're comfortable and ready."

"It's not that I'm uncomfortable, and it's not that I don't want to call him that. It's just... weird. I don't know. I think I'm confused."

"Weird how, honey?" I ask. "Can you explain it to me? Maybe I can help you think it through."

"It just makes me think of..." Zayn takes a breath. "It makes me think of... my daddy... the one who's..." He wipes a tear from his eye. "If Liam is 'daddy,' then that means my daddy is," he sniffles. "gone. Forever."