Chapter 1: History Repeated

It was international news: Galar's greatest-ever Champion, Leon, reported his son missing only to find he ran off to participate in the Gym Challenge.

'I told you,' his daughter Amber told him at the school gates, 'You should've just endorsed us when we asked.'

Leon refused to endorse them until they finished school. He didn't want his kids to be child stars like him, especially not when the world's eyes were on them, waiting for them to outdo their father. That was all for nothing. Circhester's new Poison-type Gym Leader, Klara, endorsed young Fayiz. Escaping school wasn't difficult with his frighteningly strong Inteleon and Excadrill.

Now Fayiz's parents regretted letting him train as soon as he could throw a Poké Ball. He mowed down his rivals. Only the Champion's daughter, Cassia, came close to beating him, but even she couldn't do it. After 13 years, Champion Raihan lost his title to Leon's son.

History repeated itself. Fayiz wouldn't answer his phone. He avoided his relatives at public events. Publicly claiming they were overprotective didn't stop him wearing his father's cape, or telling his opponents they'd have a 'champion time.' Then there was his 'Inteleon' pose...

Amber and her cousin Zane detested him. Their interest in Galar's Gym Challenge waned. So, as soon as Zane turned 16, they announced that they and Cassia were leaving Galar as soon as possible.

'Well, I'm not going to stop you,' Leon said, 'But you'll let us see you off, won't you?'

Amber thought she got away with 'see you soon' at Wyndon Hedgerow Airport. As she stowed her bulky backpack in overhead lockers, she saw passengers whip out her dad's League Card. It wasn't that she didn't love her parents. In fact, it was precisely because they were so close that she wanted to distance herself to grow. Well, they could be a little overprotective... so hostile Orre, where she was born the year their Pokémon League formed, was the perfect place to do that.

'Just making sure we set you on the right path,' Leon let her know when he passed, 'Orre isn't the friendliest place.'

'I know, Dad. I did grow up there.'

He was already distracted by the League Cards thrust at him. Amber's mother, Abbey, passed her the Clauncher neck pillow she left at their suburban Wyndon home. It didn't help her sleep. She wasn't nervous. She was excited. Her Pokémon journey could finally begin.

Forget the Galar League For Sheltered Trainers. I'm going to take down Champion Michael! And when I'm Champion, I'll take you down, too, Fayiz... for upsetting Dad so much if nothing else.

She squeezed Zane's hand when the plane took off. He hated flying. When he turned, though, he was grinning.

'It's really happening! I can't believe it!'