2. Call Me

56. "You can call me whenever you want... Even if you don't have a reason to."

Kyo stretched his arms, the light breeze of late spring hitting his face gently, as he waited at the cramped hall balcony for his girlfriend to get out of their apartment

"Are you done yet?" he hollered, getting slightly impatient as he didn't want to get late for the first day of his classes at the dojo.

"Let me check for one last time if all the windows are locked," Tohru replied.

"Who cares? It's not like we have anythin' that's worth stealin'." The most a burglar may get was tons of carton boxes stacked up, waiting to be opened.

"Don't be like that, Kyo-kun." Finally, she came out with a slight pout, her office bag hanging on her shoulder, looking ready to go for an interview.

He had initially told her to catch some break after they moved in, but she protested, saying she wanted to start working right away so that Kyo wouldn't be burdened alone to provide for the both of them. That was so like her.

In the end, he gave up and helped her look for jobs online, so now, she only had an interview left to step into her full-time working life.

A smile automatically generated on Kyo's face as soon as he caught glimpse of Tohru. She beamed a big smile at him and quickly scurried over to his side after locking the main door and interlocking their fingers.

"I coulda gone for an extra run with the time you took coming out," he taunted teasingly as they both started walking down the stairs.

"It's our first time leaving our home alone, Kyo-kun! We must make sure it's safe, considering we still don't know anyone around here," she chided.

"Like I said, Tohru, there's nothin' to steal," he responded nonchalantly.

"Whatever it is, Kyo-kun, it's ours, and no one should get to tamper with them," she reasoned wisely. "In fact, no one should even have to see the mess there is in our place."

"Huh. So you will be okay with a burglar if our place is neat and clean?"

"No!"

"Or you just don't want them to see your lingerie which is lying on the floor of our bedroom?" he teased.

"Kyo-kun!" Tohru went tomato-red and hit his shoulder playfully.

Kyo suppressed his urge to laugh at her cuteness. Even after months of dating, she still blushed at the slightest bedroom jokes (unless she was inside the bedroom).

"Oh, you picked 'em up? That's too bad. I thought they looked pretty good on the floor."

"Stop it," she groaned in embarrassment and hid her face in the crook of his neck as he chuckled and stopped to open the gate of their apartment building.

She noticed a few women in the communal courtyard. She instantly pulled up a bright smile and greeted, "Hello, Yamiko-san, Kumo-san, Ariko-san, and Mia-san!"

As the four women replied enthusiastically to her greetings, Kyo was baffled how Tohru could remember all of their new neighbors' name. Then again, she was already a part of their women's club, ever since they helped the two of them with bringing in the furniture.

Once the women exchanged pleasantries among themselves, they turned to Kyo and asked, "How about you, Sohma-san?"

"Oh, just call me Kyo."

One of the older women giggled and said, "Okay, then. How are you, Kyo-san?"

Being called with 'san' wasn't something he was used to, it used to make him feel itchy, but now, he felt like he was being treated as an adult, not just a kid. "I'm good, thanks for asking."