25. The Vicious Cat

4. "It's starting to get annoying."

Never in his life did Kyo Sohma think he was going to be jealous of a freaking cat. But life was mean and unexpected.

As much as it hurt his pride, he couldn't name this scorching feeling of wanting to crucify this particular cat anything other than 'jealousy'.

It was an orange tabby cat, looked much like his previous animal form. Therefore, when it appeared in front of their apartment doorstep, Tohru couldn't help but gush over it. She had said to him with a blinding smile, "Look, Kyo-kun, it looks so much like you."

To be honest, Kyo didn't want to have a pet. He had a bad feeling about this particular one. But it made Tohru happy. Plus, when Tohru gave him that pleading look he could never say no to, he pretty much had no option. Sometimes, he wondered if she was aware of this weakness of his and used it to her advantage. However, it wasn't the point at the moment.

The point was, Kyo should have never agreed, to begin with. Because that cat, which Tohru had named 'Mio-chan', was an attention-hogging vicious creature who wanted to kick Kyo out of his own girlfriend's life. And he was realizing that more with every passing day.

From the first day, it showed hostility towards Kyo, clawing at him every time he tried to touch its fur. It was probably because of his curse-breaking. So Kyo gave up trying and let it stay settled on Tohru's lap.

On the second day, the cat littered the shoes that he was going to wear to work. Kyo thought it was a coincidence, and Tohru promised that she would train him better.

On the third day, the cat ripped his green shirt that Tohru had kept on the bed before ironing while Kyo was in the shower. He told Tohru, "The cat hates me," but Tohru just requested him to give it another chance, saying it was her fault to keep it lying around.

On the fourth day, the cat had occupied his spot on the bed after he had gone to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and it viciously threatened to wake Tohru up if Kyo so much as touched the thing. So he grumbled and slept on the floor. And to add to his misery, Tohru scolded him in the morning for being afraid of the poor kitten and sleeping on the floor, leaving Kyo wanting to bang his head on the wall.

By the end of the fifth day, Kyo was two-hundred percent sure that the cat loathed his existence. Just as he had started to make out with Tohru in bed, the cat had started to claw at the bedroom door loudly, even after it had been given his own bed, resulting in Tohru taking it inside and sheltering it under her blanket.

And by end of the second week, Kyo was already at the last string of his patience.

While doing these atrocities, the cat was sure to keep Tohru all to itself. Always cuddling and snuggling to Tohru, never letting her have time for Kyo.

Whenever he got home from work, it would always be occupying Tohru with some yarn or squeaky toys. He missed her rushing to greet at the porch with a kiss or hug, but he wouldn't say that out aloud. She was having fun with the cat, after all. He ought to keep his selfishness at bay.

However, it really got to Kyo's nerves whenever he tried to extend his kisses with Tohru, and the cat just has to get in between them and snarl at Kyo. Hugs wouldn't last long, either. The cat would start clawing at Kyo's feet. Plus, nowadays, it had started to sleep on their bed, pressed to Tohru's chest. Therefore, you can imagine Kyo's nonexistent sex life for the past two weeks.