Chapter 27

Annabelle

Frozen by the fear of seeing something beautiful reduced to nothing, I watched the blue flame moved from the burning rug underneath the desk to the white curtains which were already bathed in smoke.

I shivered, not from cold but from the hotness that embraced my skin and also the tangling of my stomach which matched the warning bells that rang louder than any Pentecostal church in my head.

I whisked to the door, relieved no one, not even Laura was here, but also ready to go call for help.

Dismissing the sudden wave of weakness I felt, I pulled the door but was rewarded by the removal of its iron knob.

I blinked, confused by my new predicament. I stared from the knob in my hand to the jammed door which prevented me from fresh air.

The wave of weakness stroke again as I coughed and turned, only to notice the drapes were now on fire.

"Fuck no, oh no." I Coughed out each words shaking my head while staring at my trembling hands as each attempt to think of a way out led to a sharp pain in my head.

I threw the knob away, let the purse underneath my arm fell and stroke the door with both my foot and hands in hope someone, anyone would hear.

After Seconds of endless drumming, I gave up and let my red eyes erupt with water work.

I was going to drop soon, this was ratified by the continues pain in my stomach and the disoriented blurriness that made my vision doubled.

Asif to raise my hopes, I heard the whininy sound of the fire alarm, but it all came from a distance.

Twinkled with hope, I tried the action of holding my breathe, a stupid action that led to the increase in the thumping of my heart, and frantic cough that tightened my chest.

Choking as a reward of my stupidity, I held on to my stomach, and cast my blurred vision on my surrounding, before giving way to my wobbling knees.

***

Logan

Minutes after Annabelle walked out, I pulled on a black T-shirt and started for Grandma's room when I saw the red lights followed by the whining of the fire alarm.

Deciding the alarm was from the kitchen, I changed my riot and hurriedly started towards the cooking area when I felt my phone vibrated in my pocket.

"Your highness there is a fire, you need-"

"I know Aaron, I'm heading to the kitchen now."

"No sir, it's coming from the library, it-"

Oh God, Annabelle.

Without letting him finish, I hung up and kicked into a racing motion.

The information did not only alerted my legs but my heart which raced in fear as I rushed past statue's and took the stairs.

***

I watched mum exhaled and brought down her accusing fingers as she stood from her chair, while I felt a strong urge to vacate her presence and join grandma who stood watch with Rose at the hospital.

After I got Aaron's call, I raced to the library that was filled with clouds of smoke and servants who already broke through Laura's door and pulled an unconscious Annabelle that was rushed to Clifford hospital with an oxygen mask attached to her face in an ambulance.

Minutes later, I was summoned by Mum who strongly believed the fire was caused by the same unconscious girl in the hospital.

"Mum, she didn't start the fire," I answered, defending her for the hundredth time in the two minutes of my arrival. It was a crazy thing to say due to the fact I knew not much of her background, but from the little I did know, I was sure she didn't perform the felony.