Chapter Eighteen: Truly, Madly, Deeply

Start from the beginning

"Although he is physically better, he isn't mentally stable at the moment. Along with the physical, mental and emotional trauma Liam has dealt with since being attacked, it's also the fact that his body has completely shut his mind down. It's functioning, but his mind isn't something that can be fixed with medical attention."

I sunk to the ground slowly.

"A-are y-you tryi-ing to say," I began, drawing in a trembling breath. "th-at he may n-never wake up-p?"

When I heard the squeak of a yes come out of her mouth I dropped the phone and slapped my hands to my face. I let out a horrible wail that apparentably could be heard throughout the entire hospital. The doctor and two nurses ran in, asking if everything was alright. I got up slowly and lifted my blank face to meet their eyes. Even though they were all staring at me, I kept my hard gaze on Liam's doctor.

"Why did you tell me?!" I shrieked, running up to him and hit his chest with all my force. "You inconsiderate asshole! The love of my life is in that room unconscious for who knows long and thinks I don't love him! He thinks he doesn't have me anymore! He thinks-" I stopped shouting and hitting him, dropping my arms limply to my side. "He thinks I left him." I said somberly when I took a breath.

I didn't even realise until now that the two nurses who stared at me with wide eyes were holding onto an arm each. They were both in a defensive stance as if waiting for me to start flailing my arms again like a lunatic. But that wasn't got my attention. It was the needle in one of the girl's hands that was inserted into the inside of my elbow. Knowing what it was for, I flung my head back to give Liam's face one last glance before I felt my muscles fail and in result, sent me crashing to the ground.

I awoke with a start and took in the all-too familiar white walls. I silently wiped the beads of sweat from my forehead. I pushed myself up into a sitting position and tried to comprehend how I had gotten into a hospital bed. I eyed the closed door and decided I wouldn't get answers if I just sat around all day, wondering. I flung my legs over the side of the bed and stood shakily on my weakened legs. Why did I feel so... weak? I pondered this as I approached the door handle with my hand. That was, until I heard voices appear close to the door.

I rushed back to my bed and pulled the covers up, let my head fall to the pillows and closed my eyes. The voices grew louder until the door was opened quietly.

"I'm not sure, the doctor just said that she went through some sort of psychotic attack." I recognised the voice immediately as my mother's.

"Well she has been complaining all week about how the doctors wouldn't tell her why Liam wasn't waking up. Maybe she finally got told." Anna.

What were they talking about?

I fluttered my eyes as if just waking up, and slowly lifted my head to see the people standng at the end of my bed. I sat up silently and watched them until they realised I was awake.

"Oh!" Anna gasped, rushing to my side. "You're awake." I nodded in a kind of 'duh' with the whole wide eyes. She giggled and sat next to me on the bed.

My mother walked to the otherside and reciprocated  Anna's actions. "Honey," She started, taking my hand in hers. "Why did you attack the doctor?" She asked, giving me a look of concern.

"What?" I questioned. I attacked a doctor?

"Yes, you did." Anna piped in. Oh, I said that out loud.

"You don't remember?" Mom asked. I shook my head and tried to think clearly, I knew it was something to do with Liam.

"Oh, Sweetie." My mother shook head and bit her lip. Since when did she start biting her lip?