Chapter 35: Faded Vows

Poney POV

(Y/N): "Tell them to ask Poney. She'll be the only one who knows where I'm going." That's exactly what he said as I hid away in plain sight, hearing everything he said during his entire conversation with General Esdeath. I didn't question whether we were safe or whatever else. I spent most of my time searching, hoping that there was a way to keep not only him but everyone else alive for longer. Everyone's health was deteriorating, all of us knew that. Everyone aside from me...

Poney: "You weren't going to tell anyone, were you?" The moment the General wasn't anywhere near, I revealed myself with (Y/N)'s face clear to see. He's tired, extremely so as he sighed. "Is that why you didn't want to answer me before?"

(Y/N): "...It would be better if I didn't. I'm supposed to be the one worrying about everyone, not the other way around."

Poney: "That doesn't excuse this! You- I- I don't want to lose everyone!" His face was blank for a moment, but tears fell down his eyes as he quickly covered his face for me not to see and wipes them away without a second thought. "(Y/N)?! What-"

(Y/N): "Why do you think I didn't want to tell you. Why do you think I've been working my ass off to make sure everything would be alright when I'm gone. Honestly, I'm surprised I can even stay awake right now. But... I finally have some half decent info that you may want." Inside his desk, maps. Lots of them, all of areas I didn't even know about as he smiled. "Najasho went west, far enough where we couldn't track him. At least, without some strings attached. We have a Teigu with every map in the world, so with it we found where Najasho probably is right now." His eyes were dry again but they were dark, halfway dead was a way to see it as he pointed as he coughed into his hand, blood staining it.

Poney: "(Y/N), please. I don't care about that right now. Please, don't do this. I-I found something that can keep you alive for longer too! Akame found out about the place when she was still here, it can-"

(Y/N): "It can help the others, right?"

Poney: "Y-Yeah, but-"

(Y/N): "Then take them there when all of this is over. I... doubt that I'll make it."

Poney: "You will if you don't do this! Just go to the hot springs instead, I'm sure General Esdeath would be fine with it if we all went if you said why!" He held no reaction as he got out of his seat, staring down at me. Did I speak out of line? I've never seen him look this mad before and I got scared as he approached before I felt something on my lips. He was... kissing me?

(Y/N): "Thank you for everything. But please, this is something I have to do for myself. Goodbye." I felt an impact to the back of my neck before I woke up in my bed again, everyone on my team other than Kurome and (Y/N) there.

Charlotte: "You're awake! Boss said you were sick and-"

Poney: "Where's (Y/N) and Kurome?!"

Violet: "Kurome's with the other Jaegers right now, and we don't know where (Y/N) is."

Cidd: "Probably working, that's all Kurome told us." I lept off my bed, hearing yells from behind me as I dashed all over the Palace, kicking down (Y/N)'s door to find... nothing. None of his belongings there as I felt my heart drop for a moment.

Esdeath: "Looking for (Y/N)? I thought he would've told you at least from what he spoke to me."

Poney: "Where is he?!"

Esdeath: "He's already gone, didn't he say only you would know where he is?" Only I would know... Only somewhere where me, Akame and (Y/N) would know. Then it would have to be... "Take whoever you want with you if you're going to go. At the very least, bring Kurome with you. But other than that, you're on your own."

Poney: "Thank you, General!" So I have to go back there on foot? Well, it's not the craziest thing that I've done... Please, I want to be right for this. Please...

Akame POV

Normal, eerily normal. (Y/N) wasn't going after my head without a second thought to anything else like he had the previous times I've met him, I noticed that during our mission to eliminate Wild Hunt as well, he wasn't only aiming to kill me anymore. Did he really mean what he said? Everything in this house was redecorated and cleaned to the point where it would seem like people were living here for what would be years but it was only inhabited by him for... who knows how long right now.

(Y/N): "I didn't cook for you to stare at the food. And of all people, you not eating will cause a natural disaster." It was more of a joking tone, but still he sounded like Najasho when he said those last few words.

Akame: "This isn't a trap, is it? You're just... so-"

(Y/N): "If this was a trap, you would be dead the moment you sat on that chair and you know that to be a fact. I genuinely wanted this, so you can keep your guard down for now. You'll know when you need to get it back up. So please just act like yourself, Akame." No names, leader, coward, partner... none of it. Just my name after what seems like an eternity, just hearing it gave way to my smile again.

Akame: "Do you have a specific reason for us to meet here? There's so many other places I could think of that were important to the both of us."

(Y/N): "Probably, but this just felt like the right spot if you asked me. And I did spend the last few months working on a hell of a lot of things here so it being anywhere else... well I'd probably hate myself for all of the extra work I went through. So tell me, how much do you or your team hate me?" I stayed silent, a smirk appearing on his face for a moment as he leaned on the table eagerly waiting for the answer.

Akame: "I can't say for everyone, but there are a few of them that would have quite a few choice words for you. But all of them would still allow me to do this on my own because it's what I want."

(Y/N): "...I see. Yet you didn't tell any of them where we were, I presume."

Akame: "I know you did the same."

(Y/N): "Touche..." His mind seems to wander for a moment, his eyes narrowing while he stands up whilst cracking his neck. "Honestly, being here with you... both my mind and chest feel like they're going to burst. Something... something somewhere deep down is telling me to kill you and yet I can't bring myself to right now. Maybe it's because I haven't taken my painkillers in so long, I feel like I can breathe and be myself for a moment but there's still that itch."

Akame: "So you were-"

(Y/N): "I had to, because of you. Even now, my body feels like it's burning through nine different hells. I haven't been able to sleep soundly in what seems like forever but my mind has been the clearest it's been in a while."

Akame: "Then you-"

(Y/N): "But I'd never betray any of them. They fought and died for this country, so I'll do the same." He looked serious for a moment before relaxing again with a sigh and smile as if nothing happened. "Well, we shouldn't be talking about these things. I have a lot of things planned for us tomorrow, be up bright and early. You left quite a lot in your room back in the Capital so it's all in your room here, same place as before. Good night, I hope I at least resemble the guy you said you loved."

Akame: "... Good night." I didn't answer his last statement, but I already knew. In so many ways... he still was. Even if he didn't show it now.