Chapter 12: Clouded Signs

(Y/N) POV

As usual, both me and Kurome were up early, we still needed to get used to our new living arrangements alongside figuring out when the others wake up. Somehow, me and Kurome now shared a room rather than her staying with the other girls in the assassination squad so we'll be waking together more often. The main oddity was Poney being up and cooking, she usually woke up later than the rest of us even back when we were being trained but honestly with how energetic she usually was maybe not having her wake early saved us some of our sanity for a bit. After everything that happened, it seems obvious that she'd have calmed down a bit.

Wave: "Wait, you guys are already up?"

(Y/N): "Been my schedule since I got into this type of work. Though it seems like my usual morning job has been taken from me at the moment."

Poney: "Sorry!" I just let out a stifled chuckle, yup there's very obvious change here... One that didn't need to happen if some things were just slightly different in our lives. It only took a few more seconds until someone else walked into the room, that being our spare, Tatsumi.

Wave: "Yo, did you sleep well last- er, get any sleep at all?" Dark eyes and a tired gaze showed a lot. Something probably happened, though probably not as bad as he's making it.

Tatsumi: "I was so nervous that I didn't get any sleep at all." Kurome keeps her eyes on them, the sound of her munching on candy getting louder and louder by the moment as I shrugged.

Wave: "Kurome, it's the first thing in the morning and you're already having candy."

Kurome: "Mind your own business."

Wave: "You should eat more seafood."

Kurome: "If I did, I'd start to smell like you, Wave." That's an exaggeration, one that Wave seemed to freak about within seconds as he tried to actually smell if he really did smell that bad. Tatsumi was eyeing Kurome though, something's going through his mind as I just glared at him before she grabbed her bag defensively. "I'm not giving you any candy!"

(Y/N): "You wouldn't even give some to me when I could eat them..."

Tatsumi: "That wasn't what I was thinking about! Anyway, not to be rude but you look like that Akame girl I've seen on the wanted posters."

Wave: "I thought so too." I see her eyes turn darker, something my own eyes probably mirrored but I couldn't know. Akame... we'll see her sometime while we're here. It's only a matter of time. "She was a valuable asset, even though she turned her back on the Empire. I hope I get to see her again soon."

Kurome: "I'll see her soon, and execute her with my own two hands. After all, she's my beloved older sister."

(Y/N): "It's either that, or I'll kill her as the last thing I do for her as her best friend." The scared look on their faces were nearly the same one that the one soldier who was there when Akame abandoned us. I don't care for it, this is the least I can do for her. And I'm certain she knows that from the last time we met.

Esdeath: "Tatsumi! We're going hunting today. We're heading for Fumo." Attention immediately shifted to Esdeath who just appeared in the room, as commanding a tone as ever. But I noticed the relieved look on Tatsumi's face. He's plotting something. "The three of you are coming to, Famo's the ideal place for an ambush. We'll search for bandits while hunting Danger Beasts."

Wave: "Roger!"

(Y/N): "Understood."

Esdeath: "We'll split into two groups until nightfall. When we get there, Kurome, (Y/N) and I will go east, Wave and Tatsumi will search the west side. I don't know what the two of you are fully capable of yet. This is a good opportunity for me, as a general, to get a complete picture of your skills."

(Y/N): "Then shouldn't you look into the skills of the other Jaegers as well?"

Esdeath: "The assassination squads are a lot more secretive on their members than others within the Empire for obvious reasons. I already have a good grasp on everyone else."

Wave: "Wait, so you've already made you mind up on me?"

Esdeath: "You had a good teacher, you're already as strong as you can be. Be proud of yourself." I see her also pull out that notebook from last night again as I sigh. Well, that is also a reason I suppose... "At night we'll switch, both me and Tatsumi will be together." Regardless, I need to tell her about how suspicious Tatsumi is.

(Y/N): "Poney, you're still in charge of the other three alright."

Poney: "Got it! I'll make sure there's food for you guys when you get back!"

We arrived there around noon, splitting up as we agreed to with not much really happening. All that was really happening was Kurome summoning Yatsufusa's puppets for display to Esdeath, the biggest surprise being the Death Tagool's skeleton but she was impressed with the rest of the human puppets regardless. Even then though...

(Y/N): "General, there's a few things I want to talk to you about Tatsumi."

Esdeath: "Yes?" She smiled, probably thinking I'd want to give her some advice as the three of us were just walking with all of the puppets on lookout. I shook my head as she tried taking her notebook out again and gazed ahead.

(Y/N): "He's beyond suspicious, with how he acts and the small telltale signs he gives. Like when Seryu tried to comfort him, he looked just about ready to kill her even though what she said would indicate they'd be alright with one another at least. And how he's seemed to notice a few things the normal populace wouldn't even think to notice."

Esdeath: "...He tried to convince me to join the Rebel Army last night, so what you're saying has some merit."

Kurome: "Then shouldn't we take care of that problem before it even becomes one?"

Esdeath: "No, I want to deal with Tatsumi on my own. And if he does indeed try to or does leave for the Rebel Army, I want you to bring him back alive. If you have no other choice in the matter though, please put your own lives ahead of his. The lives of my underlings will always come first in that regard."

(Y/N): "...As you say, General."

Esdeath: "Captain." Both me and Kurome looked at each other confused for a moment as Esdeath smiled at us. "You're not a part of my main army, I'm not a general in this squad. Just call me Captain."

(Y/N)/Kurome: "Understood, Captain." We heard some rushing wind behind us, both me and Kurome already drawing our weapons before we saw the transformed Grand Chariot ahead of us. What the hell is Wave doing here?

Wave: "Wait, you guys aren't... Uh..."

Esdeath: "Wave? Where's Tatsumi?"

Wave: "Well, you see..." The Teigu returns back into its dormant state, showing a clearly nervous Wave as a sinister aura is felt by all of us... Good luck, Wave... you're gonna need it.