Chapter 34: No Regrets

(Y/N) POV

Hectic, that's all I could really call the last few weeks. I had little to no involvement in all of the news, mainly being guard duty or more reports to finish up. Tatsumi's failed execution, Budo's death, Wild Hunt's extermination. This war is reaching its ending quickly with any involvement I had being less and less as time went on. If anything, I've been regulated to being a cook for everyone and this... would probably be my last meal with all of them.

Wave: "Holy, when did you have the time to make all of this?!"

Esdeath: "It wasn't just him, the Emperor had a feast made for me as an expression of his thanks. (Y/N) chipped in a little to get more for everyone else." She didn't mention my reason for this extra grand feast, a smile on her when she turns to me. A just kept a solemn smile on my face, my eyes focused on Kurome before looking away. "This war is coming to an end soon, take this as a token of my gratitude as well. I have a meeting with the Minister now though, so please indulge yourselves."

Everyone: "Thank you, Captain!" I took my early leave, I'd be gone by the end of tonight. The time to travel back home would be enough to be early for that day.

Kurome: "(Y/N)?"

(Y/N): "Oh, you aren't eating, Kurome? Don't worry about-"

Kurome: "You're hiding something. Both you and the Captain are hiding something about you." ...Right, I usually don't hide anything from her of course she'd notice.

(Y/N): "...I'm going to meet with Akame this week. We're ending this before the end. No matter what happens though, don't expect me to come back. I've... been trying to survive for too long. I'm not going to be able to hold out much longer." I didn't expect much of a reaction, especially from her compared to the others. Maybe I should've but... tears wasn't what I truly expected.

Kurome: "Let me come along, please."

(Y/N): "Kurome-"

Kurome: "At least... at least I can use Yatsufusa-"

(Y/N): "No, please. Let me rest with everyone else I've continued fighting for. That's... the one thing I ask." She hugged me, tighter than she ever has before. Tears staining my shirt as I tried to comfort her as best I could. "I'm sorry... Please, stay alive. No matter what, I want you to stay alive and see the end. Both you and Poney." A small nod as I kept my smile, looking back inside the room with the others all smiling and waving at the two of us. "Go on, I still have work to do." She didn't want to let go, even I knew that. But she did leave my side eventually, wiping the tears from her eyes as she nodded. I didn't want to lie, but I waved goodbye to everyone before seeing the General in the front of the Palace.

Esdeath: "Done saying you goodbyes?"

(Y/N): "...Yeah. Thank you for everything, Esdeath. I hope to see you again somehow."

Esdeath: "Not soon, I hope. Goodbye, (Y/N). I'll take care of everyone you want me to." I smiled, nodding and taking a bow before heading out as an Air Manta was waiting for me. Time to go... back home. My destination? Rousei Village.

Akame POV

I left without a word, no one knowing where I was going aside from my one remark the last time we saw (Y/N). He would be there before the end of the month, that's just how he was. So I went early as well, he said we would end this at the end of the month... anything before... I hope for some peace between us. I opened the door to the house we called home what seems like years ago, a familiar smell coming from the kitchen as I began walking towards there. (Y/N) turns around the moment I show up at the doorway, a surprised look on his face before he becomes composed again.

(Y/N): "I... honestly didn't expect that you would be here so early."

Akame: "I did, that's why I'm here."

(Y/N): "I... see. We still have a few days until the end, right?" A smirk appeared on his face, a soft laugh escaping his lips all the while. "You knew my words were literal, huh. Well, I'm glad about that fact for sure. This place might as well be a ghost town right now, the only two people here are us. Well, I'm glad you actually came here early because I wanted to give you an answer."

Akame: "An answer to what?"

(Y/N): "What you told me before you left the Empire... you... loved me, right?" He... remembers? This seems a little surreal in so many ways. Yet he was still ever so genuine with everything he said.

Akame: "I still do. That's why-"

(Y/N): "We have a few more days until the end, so do you want to give this a try? So neither of us are left with any regrets. Right, partner?" This... isn't a dream. He's smiling, much like he used to. I nodded, a smile I tried to hide on my face. Just once...

Akame: "Of course... no regrets."