Chapter 13: Drifting Away

(Y/N) POV

Torture was what awaited Wave, that was obvious enough, which Kurome seemed a little too eager to follow through with. Does she have a vendetta against him for some reason? I don't even know, but I wanted to check around for more information. Tatsumi may have left something behind... No, there wasn't anything for him to leave behind. What is there to search for...

Run: "(Y/N), are you free?" I turned around, Run being there with a book in his hands and a serious gaze.

(Y/N): "Did the Captain ask for me to help-"

Run: "No, but we're trying to figure out where Doctor Stylish is. Seryu knows nothing, so I thought I'd ask you as his other patient."

(Y/N): "Sorry to say, I've got nothing. How long-"

Run: "Yesterday, when the others went searching for Tatsumi upon your return... Can you show me the way to his lab? I think we might be able to figure something out there."

(Y/N): "Sure." He got ready for me to lead the way, but I saw the intent in his eyes. He's hiding something... I'll ask him when we get there. I need any possibility of betrayal removed as soon as possible. No exceptions. "Why didn't you ask Seryu to bring you here?"

Run: "You... seem more stable than her. And perhaps more willing to reveal a bit more about the Doctor."

(Y/N): "I don't know much, other than what he's done for... and to the Assassination Squad. And the fact that he's the main reason I'm not in constant pain. Now you, what are you hiding?"

Run: "Hm?"

(Y/N): "You aren't only here because of his disappearance, you're looking for something. If you aren't acting as a double agent, it's better for you to reveal yourself now." His expression doesn't change, that serious look in his eyes ever present as he looks through the room.

Run: "I'm here in search for someone, and only wish for the betterment of this Empire. That's the pure and honest truth." I know it was sincere, or at least sounded sincere. "I know you only mean well, but I promise you that I won't be your enemy now or anywhere in the future."

(Y/N): "...Alright, just know I truly do not know anything other than the medication he makes as well as human enhancements. But I'll say, the fact that all of his fortified soldiers are currently gone and they still haven't returned... I'd assume the worst."

Run: "...His research materials are here as well as his tools. He intended to return, that's for certain." I heard someone run off, turning around to see her for a moment but it was only one person that could be.

(Y/N): "Seryu heard us... and it's obvious she doesn't like that news."

Run: "I'll go tell Esdeath, I'm sure you can find her right?" I'm the one who has to do this? I didn't question but just accepted his proposal and ran off. I passed both Kurome and Wave whilst rushing past the hallways, towards a guess of where I thought she'd be.

(Y/N): "Seryu." She was here, a heavy breath leaving her lips as Kuro approached me. "...I'm sure that's not what you wanted to eavesdrop on."

Seryu: "...It's still not a guarantee right?"

(Y/N): "Not yet, but with how everything's missing I'd say it's likely. I'm sorry. But your parts will be fine, right?"

Seryu: "If his materials are still in his lab, I'll be able to maintain them for now. I won't be able to get anymore upgrades though."

(Y/N): "That's good to hear at least."

Seryu: "...Why are you even here? It's not like you cared about the Doctor."

(Y/N): "I'm also the only one here that actually somewhat owes him. And... I know what losing someone important to you feels like." She wanted to cry and she tried to hide that fact, not that it did her any good. Tears quickly started falling from her face as I stared from a distance.

Seryu: "First I lost my parents... then my teacher... and now the man I owe so much to! Everyone important to me... keeps dying to the hands of outlaws..."

(Y/N): "...That's the world we live in, this cruel... misery driven world."

Seryu: "How can you just stand there and say that with a straight face?!"

(Y/N): "Because I've lost nearly everyone, and then was betrayed by someone I truly cared about. But I stay alive for them, for their lives and memories to not be in vain. So I'll tell you now, cry all you want... I know I did back then. No matter what anyone says, that pain isn't going to stop." She's clutching onto herself, tears rolling down her eyes quicker and sobs could be heard as I approached her.

Seryu: "I...I want to hurry up and eradicate those fiends!"

(Y/N): "We will, but you're going to need to stay alive to make that wish come true."

Seryu: "...You..."

(Y/N): "I'm never great with these, I'm better with sarcastic statements when someone screws up. But you still have the rest of us, and we'll help you anyway we can." She suddenly gave me a hug, thank god I took those painkillers earlier otherwise I'd be in a lot of pain from the curse right now.

Seryu: "Thank you..."

Wave: "Seryu! (Y/N)! You two o...kay...?" Wave freezes right at the door as I sigh and shrug.

(Y/N): "I think I handled it already."