Chapter 25: Solemn Reasons

Kurome POV

Everyone returned in a lot of distress last night, Seryu missing most of her body but still somehow alive while (Y/N) had recovered by the time they got back with who knows what injuries he endured before. The Captain and Wave had me stay behind last night because I was still recovering from my injuries, and to have someone still guarding Bolic due to his own fright in case it was a complete distraction for Night Raid. But as usual, (Y/N) was back up again as if nothing had even happened in the morning. Well, maybe up earlier than usual but I could tell why.

Kurome: "Weren't you told to rest a little more? Even you need some extra rest after sustaining that much damage."

(Y/N): "I would love to, but right now I can't. We're already down on manpower right now, even less so now because of what happened to Seryu. If I'm still able to fight, then for a little while I'm going to need to push myself." He's right... he's still in best shape out of all of the Jaegers that are injured. It was sudden, but I felt him wrapping his arms around me after those thoughts entered my head. "You'll be fine, I'll be able to handle anything that will hurt you."

Kurome: "That's not what I'm worried about..."

(Y/N): "I'll be fine-"

Kurome: "How much time do you have left? Even if you weren't trying, you wouldn't have let Tatsumi escape, let alone blindside you." He clenches his fist, a dim glow coming from Harbinger as he lets out an annoyed sigh.

(Y/N): "I don't know, but all I can say is that the pain's getting hard to keep back. Not just from the curse, but my head as well..." His thoughts seem to trail off for a moment as he lets me go, placing a hand on his head before he smirks again as if there wasn't anything to worry about. "I'll be able to live for long enough that this won't be a problem until all of this is over, I can assure you that much."

Kurome: "You don't sound too confident of that yourself, you know."

(Y/N): "I can't be confident with anything that I say anymore... because somehow it seems I'm always wrong." Those words held too much weight for him to say it so casually, that moment of darkness filling in his eyes before he snaps himself out of his trance. "I'll get some rest after checking in on Seryu, don't eat all of the food before the others get up." He's gone after kissing my forehead with no sounds other than his footsteps echoing throughout where we were staying in the cathedral. The same as ever I see...

(Y/N) POV

Stabilized, albeit barely but she's stabilized since last night that's for sure. We were all on shifts to take care of her while the others remained on guard duty unless something truly urgent required any of us. For now, she was asleep but I placed food that someone would need to feed her whenever she does awaken.

(Y/N): "...At least I was on time for once..." I sharp pain struck my mind as I grabbed it as it subsided soon after. The more I take those painkillers, the curse hurts a lot less but these headaches keep getting worse and worse. The hell is with these things? ...No, I can't doubt myself now... This is what I chose... right?

Tsukushi: "You'll make this Empire better, right?"

(Y/N): "...Yeah... no matter what, I swear it." No matter what, I can't doubt this path I chose. Otherwise... all of their sacrifices would be for nothing. Even yours... sis.

Seryu waking up caught my attention as I stretched myself out to keep myself a little more cognitive until the next person arrived. "Morning, there's a lot you'll need catching up on."

Seryu: "Why are you here?"

(Y/N): "No one other than Kurome, the Captain and I are up this early. When the others are up they'll take care of you since our orders now are purely to guard Bolic." I took a seat next to her, waiting for any sort of question but I still had way too much to inform her about in the first place. "You're not going to be able to do anything until we get back to the Capital, then you'll be able to get prosthetics again but of course not as good as the doctor had originally. Coro on the other hand..."

Seryu: "He's gone?"

(Y/N): "Yup... we still have-"

Seryu: "I'll give him a burial when I can move again if you still have him. That's what I want."

(Y/N): "I'll tell that to the Captain when I get the chance then. Now... you need to get some more rest."

Seryu: "What-"

(Y/N): "Oh please, you literally don't have any arms or legs. If you need any of us to help with... whatever needs, not only food and water, yell for us. Just... make sure it's a girl if you need help for more private matters..."

Seryu: "(Y/N), I still-"

(Y/N): "You already thanked me enough last night, what else do you even need to say?"

Seryu: "Before we left the Capital, you said that the others started to despise me already... thank you, for saving me still." We just stayed silent, staring at each other for a moment before I looked away, waving her off.

(Y/N): "Well, if you learned from that then good. Just get some rest, I'll pick up your slack for the time being." She smiles, not the sinister ones she had before but a more... cutesy one I'd say. I wonder... what would she be like if everything we were dealing with was so much more peaceful.

Seryu: "Thank you, see you soon."

(Y/N): "Yeah, see you." She'll learn... I can already tell that she is. What she'll do though? I hope whatever she does it's for the better.