Chapter 28: Untapped Rage

(Y/N) POV

Their most inexperienced member was the only one still standing right now, but still no signs of Akame or Mine yet. No matter how long Wave can hold them off for, there's no doubting the fact that they would be here eventually as the last resort to finish this mission. Of course, our guard had to stay up no matter how much of an advantage it looked like we had. Najenda finally gets up from the ground, a smirk on her face as what looked like energy was swirling into the Teigu that was encased in ice.

Najenda: "Magatama Manifestation!"

Esdeath: "Najenda? What are you doing?!"

Najenda: "We've survived this long... because we're stubborn. Just because you froze him doesn't mean you can count him out. Go, Susanoo. Crush Bolic." He smashes through the ice and charges at us as I guard the Captain as I grab onto his fist. This is the Trump Card they used to beat Kurome's Death Tagool...

(Y/N): "You aren't going to win like that."

Tatsumi: "What makes you so sure?!" Tatsumi joined in too, trying to attack me as I dodged back. One opening in either of their strikes was enough, and a multitude of slashes to Susanoo's chest while I punched Tatsumi hard enough to leave a dent in Incursio's armor.

(Y/N): "The difference in skill and strength between us, that's what makes me so sure." Susanoo stops himself from sliding away, a ball of energy gathering around his hand before a sword appears in its place.

Susanoo: "Ame no Murakumo!" Esdeath tries to get in the way, using her ice to make a wall thick enough to block the attack but it's still able to slice through but delayed it long enough for the two of us to dodge. "You guarded yourselves by instantly erecting an ice wall dozens of layers thick."

Esdeath: "I commend your vigor, but you can't get me."

Susanoo: "Not you, maybe. But what about my targets behind you?"

(Y/N): "Kurome, Poney?! You two alright?!" The smoke clears, Poney carrying both Kurome and Bolic with blood running down her arm.

Poney: "Y-Yeah... we're fine."

Kurome: "Poney!" She collapses next to Kurome, the latter trying her best to quickly mend the wound as I gave nothing but a dead glare to Susanoo.

Esdeath: "If I don't even get to fully enjoy the battle... I'm never taking another bodyguard job again." Ice, much more than she's created through this entire fight, was being fired towards the enemies as I saw her eyes lock onto their target. "I'm not just going to capture you. I'm going to crush you right along with your core!"

Susanoo: "Let your body feel what the strongest attack force feels like! Yata no Kagami! Yasakani no Magatama!" He reflected the attack, launching into the air as I was ready to intercept but he made it past me by the time I would've reached him. No!

Esdeath: "Before me, all things freeze. Makahadoma!"

Susanoo: "What the?!" I feel back to the ground, Esdeath having her blade stuck through the Teigu with his body quickly being encased in ice yet again.

Esdeath: "In religious texts, Makahadoma is one of the Ice Realms in Hell. It's named differently from my other techniques, but it fits the image perfectly."

Najenda: "Susanoo! Get away!"

Esdeath: "I won't give you the chance!" She shatters the frozen Teigu, it's core flying into the air before she stamps down on it, effectively killing him. "I'll commend you for making me use my Trump Card. You've gathered some pretty impressive friends, Najenda. You really are an interesting one. It's too bad I won't have any more enemies to look forward to defeating, but given that you're the leader of Night Raid, there's no way I can let you go." The fragments of his broken core start moving a little, my eyes focusing on those before breaking the ones that were moving again. "Even with a broken core, he was still trying to move. It proves just how powerful your Trump Card was. But it doesn't seem he has the energy to fully restore himself. It's the end for him. And now there's no one left to fight, so allow me to show you all to the torture chamber."

(Y/N): "Not yet, Akame and someone else isn't here yet."

Bolic: "Ha... ha ha! Ha ha ha! That's the General Esdeath I know! You took out every last assassin! Those pitiful thieves didn't know what they were getting into when they thought they could take me out! Fools! Scum of the earth! Serves them right!"

(Y/N): "Shut the hell up, you wouldn't be alive right now without our help! Poney! Is she alright?!"

Kurome: "She's still breathing. But that attack really hurt her." Bolic runs off, Kurome getting back onto her feet as I kept Poney's wound from getting worse. "Don't go off by yourself!" She holds onto her neck, that wound reopening a little with the strain but I can't keep my worries as my priority as the window above us shatters open.

Esdeath: "New players joining this late in the game?!" Another ice ball was launched towards both Akame and Mine as they finally arrived, a blast shooting through the ice and shattering it immediately. Akame's eye immediately locked onto her target, my legs vaulting off the floor ready to intercept her as the Captain was stopped by Tatsumi as he managed to block an attack from her.

(Y/N): "Akame!" Bolic attempted to run, but was stopped by the blonde girl. With one cut, his throat was slit as my weapon clashed with Akame.

Akame: "I heard what you wanted. I'll see you there."

(Y/N): "...If you make it out of here alive." I aimed a slash for her stomach that she dodged as I heard the fighting get more hectique away from me.

Esdeath: "You were able to fully recover?!" The Teigu's still alive then?! That's some tenacious spirit... But I have who I want right in front of me right now.

(Y/N): "Your movements are slower, are you trying to get yourself killed?"

Akame: "You trained your allies well, to say the least. They all made it out alive, like you wished."

(Y/N): "If you're trying to soften me up, it's not going to work." I dodged a shot from Pumpkin which gives Akame enough breathing room to back off. "And I need to get payback on you for what happened to Seryu..."

Mine: "I'd like to see you try! Come on, I'll keep them at bay with Pumpkin while we retreat!" Susanoo gets launched back towards them, Esdeath's glare showing nothing but killing intent as not a single scratch is even on her body.

Esdeath: "It seems you've gotten stronger to some degree. But you still have a long way to go. That's not enough to put a mark on me." He picks up all of the members of Night Raid, both me and Esdeath charging before he can even attempt to escape with them in tow.

Susanoo: "Don't let go of Najenda or Leone. Goodbye!"

Esdeath: "You're not getting away!"

Susanoo: "Not on my watch!" A mirror stops the Captain's attacks from landing, if she was able to use her Trump Card there they wouldn't have been able to escape. "I won't let you go after them."

Esdeath: "So you're making yourself a shield to give your friends time to escape? The people who work for Najenda are all a bunch of saps."

Susanoo: "I'm a humanoid Teigu, I've run out of Trump Cards. This is the perfect role for me to play."

Esdeath: "Your name... is Susanoo, is that right?"

Susanoo: "Yes." She reached for her weapon again as I stepped forward instead.

Esdeath: "(Y/N)?"

(Y/N): "Captain, please allow me. Because I can hardly restrain myself right now."

Esdeath: "...Very well... Entertain me with his final struggle." Bloody screams, blood splattered all over the Cathedral as both of our regenerative abilities were put through the wringer. I had no reason to fight other than my own rage, my own rage from seeing Poney get hurt at my own carelessness. Finally, only his core was left as I crushed it in my hand, and continued until there was nothing left but dust.

(Y/N): "That's for hurting her..."

Esdeath: "Good work... but we failed our job. Suzuka's probably already back in the Capital right now, so there's no way we'll be able to track them down right now. Get ready for the upcoming storm."