Chapter 26: Hunter's Shadows

Esdeath POV

We've been forced more and more into defensive situations as time goes on, something I'm personally not enjoying but is necessary for them. Everyone who is able to fight at the moment is doing well enough for another confrontation with Night Raid. Seryu can't participate at all, while Kurome's still trying to keep a strong face to not be a detriment.

Bolic: "General, you need only serve as my bodyguard for two more weeks."

Esdeath: "Two weeks? Oh, that's right. It'll be the religion's founding day... there's going to be a grand festival."

Bolic: "Yes. The groundwork has finally been laid out. I'm going to have the founding priest killed to make him a true holy ghost. And then, in front of all the believers who will be gathered there... I'm going to name myself the new head priest." He makes his final move in his game against Run, one that Run deliberately threw to keep our ally entertained whilst we deal with all of the hardships.

Run: "You've beaten me."

Bolic: "Hahaha! You've got natural talent, but you still lack experience." We leave without much protest, shadows following us being Charlotte and Violet as the other they probably switched places with Poney and Cidd.

Esdeath: "We'll let the tension build... let him get drunk anticipating how good the turning of the tables will feel. Good work keeping him entertained with that shogi match."

Run: "No problem at all. I'm happy to do it any time."

Esdeath: "You two."

Violet: "General?"

Charlotte: "Yeah, General?"

Esdeath: "Najenda must realize she's running out of time, she'll be coming here soon. All of us are going to need to shore up our security. Including your team."

Violet: "Understood."

Charlotte: "I'll go and tell Boss and see what he can do."

(Y/N): "No need. What did you have in mind, Captain?" (Y/N) appears from the shadows unnoticed by everyone. He's got blood that he was trying to hide dripping from his mouth, some more Rebels dead that he was able to find near the cathedral it seems.

Esdeath: "Are you willing to take some risks with their lives?"

(Y/N): "...The life we live is already enough of a risk, if they're ready then I'll accept." The two of them nod without hesitation, a smile on Charlotte's face and a normal indifference from Violet. We'll have to inform the other two when we can but I have nothing to worry about it seems.

Esdeath: "Good, because I'll need all of you at your best."

We knew it was only a matter of time, there was no sooner or later than expected for us, only an eventuality. And so we waited, until the night that I predicted. Finally, a panicked soldier bursts into the room where we were.

Soldier: "W-we have a situation! A number of intruders have made it to the central courtyard!"

Esdeath: "I knew Night Raid would choose tonight."

Bolic: "Th-the courtyard?! That's not far from here!"

Esdeath: "Kurome, Poney, both of you keep an eye on Bolic and don't leave his side."

Kurome/Poney: "Roger!"

Bolic: "G-General! I want you to protect me yourself!"

Esdeath: "You always give the appearance of being in control. Try actually acting like it, you're pathetic. Don't worry, I won't leave the cathedral. (Y/N), are you ready?"

(Y/N): "I'll fight as long as I stand, no more games." A burning hatred fueled the gaze in his eyes alongside his resolve. No matter how much chaos they cause, unless you take out Bolic, you lose. We all know this. So hurry, I can't wait anymore!

Akame POV

We split up into two divisions, with me, Mine and Lubbock taking an Air Manta to try and infiltrate the cathedral from the skies as the rest deal with things on the ground. There's not too many people we have to worry about, but if we get held up for too long it's almost certain the ground team will get wiped out by both Esdeath and (Y/N).

Lubbock: "All right! We'll charge right through the cathedral roof! Mine, just before we get in, open a huge hole for us with Pumpkin!"

Mine: "Got it. I'm all ready to go. After all... I'm a genius shot."

Charlotte: "Genius, huh? You think you can take down a bullet angel then?"

Akame: "What?!" One of the Jaegers, Run, appears next to us carrying an assassin with him as she smirks before a hail of bullets is launched towards all of us.

Run: "I knew they'd have a separate aerial unit. Looks like we managed to predict the situation perfectly this time. But I'm surprised that you'd launch an attack from the air when you know that it's my territory. 'Poor work' is the only thing I can call it." The bullets stop us from being able to defend against the last from Mastema as we start descending to the ground.

Lubbock: "The Air Manta's dead as a doornail! We're gonna crash!"

Run: "I won't let this chance go to waste."

Mine: "I won't let this wreck go to waste."

Charlotte: "You might not wanna do that, 'genius.'" Mine fires Pumpkin, but takes retaliation fire whilst I try to deflect everything I could, a few strays hit causing her some pain but nowhere vital. Thankfully, her blast hits both Run and his partner as they start falling slowly to the ground.

Akame: "Good marksmanship, Mine. You chased him off."

Mine: "You're the one with the nice followup! Still... this hurts like hell."

Lubbock: "This isn't the time for compliments or to complain! We're all gonna crash and die!" Lubbo tries to weave a net as fast as he could around all of us, an impromptu cushion as we crash into the ground with all of us making it out alive. "I knew it... the Air Manta took the impact with its body."

Akame: "Thank you for everything."

Mine: "You helped us up to the very end."

Akame: "We landed right out front. Let's hurry into the cathedral."

Wave: "You're not going anywhere." I was able to dodge a strike aimed for my face while we turned to face who spoke those words. Two shadows overlapped with his, two more assassins from (Y/N)'s team alongside a Jaeger... "The one you'll be taking on... is me."

Akame: "A Jaeger?!"

Lubbock: "Are we doing this?!"

Mine: "Even if he's not our target, we'll take him on three to one! Without mercy!"

Wave: "Come at me, you bastards. You even damaged Run. I won't lose any more comrades! I won't let anyone else get hurt! Grand Chariot!"

Mine: "As if I'd let you!"

Cidd: "Maybe next time, Pinky."

Akame: "Mine!" One of the shadows move, clashing their blade with mine whilst another tries to land an attack on Mine as she's barely able to dodge but misses her shot. I try to deal with my assailant as Wave jumps in and blocks the attack. His armor... there's no chinks there.

Wave: "I don't care how many of you there are!" I get launched through multiple trees as I cough off blood when I finally stop. Lubbock manages to catch Wave off guard as he breaks his threads only to deal with the two assassins running towards him as he places a trap thread. One jumps over it while the other slides under it.

Lubbock: "They figured it out?!"

Cidd: "We aren't amateurs, you know." He weaves a shield that they maneuver around and launch him away as Mine tries to land another shot that Wave gets them away from.

Violet: "We haven't exactly fought, you've been dealing with the Jaegers this entire time and we may not be as strong as them but you still need to fear their shadows." They all... have such impressive spirit. If we don't take them out soon... both this team and the entire diversion team will be wiped out.