Chapter 14: Proof of Valor

(Y/N) POV

Two months, full of extra investigations and new missions since Night Raid has been silent during that entire time. It's obvious by now that Stylish died while confronting them somehow, so there was no way he wiped them out but their plans after such an event were shrouded in mystery other than obvious relocation. Well, it's not like I can worry about that right now with our current mission.

Poney: "Get back here!" I turned around, a humanoid Danger Beast we were working on exterminating as our current mission from the Minister charging straight towards me as Poney kicked its head and sent it flying. Its body fell right in front of me, the road for traders being nearby as I already saw more. "What'd you think?"

(Y/N): "You're getting back to your old self, but you still have some work to do. Still, good job." A wide smile appeared on her face as we turned around to some more rustling. Violet appears, his weapon embedded into a different Danger Beast and dragging it towards us. "...Why?"

Violet: "Proof." He pulls the weapon out of the Beast's body and rushes back deeper into the forest. Esdeath told us we could go wild while she was the one who captured them to be studied for the Minister and everyone seems to be having some fun while using this as some sort of stress relief. The normal populace may have trouble with these guys but this is just what we did as kids, at least me and Poney. The others also seem to be having as easy a time as us anyway.

Merchant: "Th-Th- They're here!" A carriage was coming our way, flipping over as the Beasts charged it. Bols shows up a few seconds later and clotheslines one back.

Seryu: "You incarnations of evil who threaten the people here! Coro, Number 1!" Seryu's arm turns into a flail as both me and Poney jump out to attack with all of them getting taken out in mere moments.

Bols: "Now, I'll take them out for good!" Rubicante burns most of them into cinders as a few others start to run away. They were heading to where Kurome, Esdeath, Cidd and Charlotte were so there wasn't any need to worry. "You can rest easy now, everyone!" The merchants start to freak out while looking at Bols as he approaches to make them more worried. "We defeated the Danger Beasts for you, so what are you so afraid of?"

(Y/N): "You two can chill out, he's with us."

Seryu: "That's right, the flames of justice have razed the wicked!"

Merchant 1: "O-Oh. So you're soldiers from the Capital!"

Merchant 2: "We're saved!"

Wave: "Um... look. Don't mind them, Bols."

Bols: "Those men... appear to have calmed down! I'm so happy!" Well, that's one way to put a smile on someone's face. A smile that we already rarely see because of that mask.

Once everything was done, we quickly returned back to our headquarters with the Captain leaving quickly with the Danger Beasts while leaving us to our own devices. Run was nowhere to be seen as usual, investigating more from what I know and Seryu was back on maintenance with her weapons. Wave and I decided to play a chess match against each other as Kurome watched with little interest in anything other than her cookies.

Wave: "How are you so good at this?!"

(Y/N): "I told you this was a bad idea..."

Bols: "Wave, Kurome. I made us tea. I'm sorry I can't do anything for you, (Y/N)."

(Y/N): "Don't worry about it, it's not your fault I'm like this."

Wave: "Th-Thanks for always going to the trouble to do so."

Kurome: "Thanks."

Bols: "It's nothing, I like to do this." Wave's dead stare towards the ground after Bols words was a slight cause for worry, of course something would be on his mind. He's too compassionate after what happened earlier it was only natural for him to react. "What's the matter, Wave?"

Wave: "You're such a good guy, Bols... But everyone acts like those merchants from before... they judge you by your looks."

Kurome: "Are you really one to talk?"

(Y/N): "You're the one who acted most harshly out of all of us."

Wave: "That was back then!" Bols places the tea on the table, a serious tone in his voice as he begins to speak.

Bols: "Wave. I've already told you this, I'm not a good guy. I've burned down villages that were plagued with disease. I've burned men at the stake who claimed innocence. That's why... I think countless people hate me." I got up from my seat, Kurome seemingly worried at my glare towards the former incineration squad member as I only had one question.

(Y/N): "Were you at Mount Hakuba?"

Bols: "Huh?"

(Y/N): "I knew two kids there, siblings. Akame and I trained them when we had the time to... After our mission there was finished, the village was burned to the ground and all civilians killed as an example when it was supposed to be used as bait for the Rebel Army. Those two kids died that day, and after that Akame would soon betray the Empire. So I ask you again, were you at Mount Hakuba or was that a different team?"

Kurome: "(Y/N), just leave it."

Bols: "...I was there..." I stayed silent, looking away from him but I think he knew that I felt some hate towards him. Maybe she could still be here...

Wave: "(Y/N), how can you just-"

Bols: "He has every right to act the way he is, even if somebody had to do my job my actions are what they are. And those reactions, from either those I've saved or those who've lost people because of me are what I deserve."

Wave: "Bols, that's too cruel. Come on, (Y/N). You can at least-"

(Y/N): "You don't know what I saw back then!" Wave jumps back in fear as I glare, Green's dead body... Tetsu and Kana's burned corpses... those things will be forever burned into my memory and never fade. And no matter how I have to work with them... I'll never forgive the people that caused them to die.

Kije: "Oh, honey."

Logue: "Daddy!" The door suddenly opens, two new faces appearing as Bols rushes over to them.

Bols: "Whoa, what are you doing here?!"

Kije: "Oh, you. You forgot the boxed lunch we made for you."

Bols: "I really did it now!"

Logue: "Daddy, you're so forgetful!" The atmosphere changed immediately, a sudden whiplash Wave clearly wasn't prepared for as I sighed.

Kije: "You have such a tough job, you need to keep your strength up!"

Bols: "You're right, I'll be more careful."

Logue: "Daddy, give me an uppy!"

Bols: "Alright, that's my good girl." He looks back at us, his wife and daughter smiling brightly as Wave seems taken aback by how bright it all seems. "My wife and daughter know all about what I do... and yet still cheer me on. So no matter how tough I have it as long as I have my family, I'll be fine." A happy family... that's what keeps him going huh? No wonder he has the willpower to go through such things. I pulled out a picture from my pocket, showing everyone in the Elite Seven still there... happy... I felt a pull on my arm, looking to see Kurome worried about me as I smiled.

Kurome: "You okay?" 

(Y/N): "I'm fine, as long as you and Poney are still here I'll be fine..." ...There's all I have left... I can't let anything happen to either of them. Otherwise... there's nothing to hold me back.