Chapter 6: Quiet Obedience

(Y/N) POV

How much did I even have to cook last night? Granted, everyone was happier than they usually were so I would call it a worthwhile investment of time but I'm pretty sure our food budget is going to tank if this becomes a common occurrence. Damn it... I didn't have to worry about things like this with Father around. No matter how strict he could be on occasion and how we were brought into this life somewhere I knew he cared about us. Through the... lies?

Stop it... Akame... why do these sort of thoughts hurt so much after what you did?

I woke up from my slumber in pain, no thirst for blood but just a migraine to my head. Even without blood, I could at least use some water to subside the pain, whether it be in my mind or my chest. I need some air before I want to cook again, I'll probably wake Kurome up for some taste testing as usual now without... the traitor here. We all got our own rooms in the capital, a more secluded area compared to where the Dark Squad was located but we would still see them often if we wished to.

Opening a door to the balcony showed that someone else was already there, Violet was staring off into the darkness and seemed to recognize I was there without a word.

Violet: "Did you need me for something, boss?"

(Y/N): "Nope, I just needed some fresh air, woke up with a bad headache is all."

Violet: "Were the others too rowdy? I'm sure you'll get used to it soon enough."

(Y/N): "Don't worry, it's not that. I've had to... deal with a lot before if anything this is a nice sense of deja vu." He nods, grabbing something from his mouth while scratching his head. "You smoke?"

Violet: "Oh this? It's chocolate. You've got to replenish your energy regularly, after all." Well that certainly looked like a cigarette, that's for sure. Whatever, probably just snacks as much as Kurome does so it's nothing new. "Oh, that reminds me..." He looks for something behind him as I finally notice the table that was right next to him. A box filled with snacks and another bag partially opened there too. Nope, he snacks more than Kurome for sure now. "You want some coffee?"

(Y/N): "Uh... I can't." I just lift up Harbinger with a sad smile. Sure, I could eat the food just fine or drink any beverage just fine but there's no taste. It's why I've got Kurome or now Poney to taste test food for me when I do cook and just why I don't even bother with normal food. Blood is the only thing that gives me sustenance anymore and if I remove this damn thing with it's Trump Card... I might just immediately die from this curse.

Violet: "Alright, I'll just give it to whoever else wants it then."

(Y/N): "You seem... more relaxed than the other two to say the least. Are those two just eccentric or are you the special one here?"

Violet: "There's just nothing to say, I'd rather avoid thinking about most things to be frank." That's... certainly one way to go about life. Maybe it would be easier to live like that. But I can't... I have to remember. For all of them. "Don't worry, I'll follow whatever orders you give unless they're obviously dumb."

(Y/N): "You sure you should place that trust in me? This... is the first time I've been put in any sort of leadership role." It wasn't nervousness, I couldn't afford that type of emotional reaction in this field. I accepted this role without a second thought for that very reason, it's just still something I'm not used to. I'm still used to being the one taking orders on missions with more than two people involved.

Violet: "You were placed as leader for a reason, and we have to accept that. And the three of us were ready to die after our injuries but were told we had a chance if we succeeded under a new team. The reason why we were spared? I've got no clue."

(Y/N): "Poney... It's because I refused to let a soldier kill Poney after Akame escaped. They wanted to see if it was worth it or to kill all of us besides most likely, Kurome and me because of our Teigus." I saw a small smile appear on his lips, that's certainly different. It faded quickly, his usual unemotional face reappearing with a neutral gaze.

Violet: "I guess we all better be thankful to you two then."

(Y/N): "There's no need. We-"

Violet: "You have a debt from me, it gives me more reason to fight for and listen to you. Don't you see that as a boon?" Well, he certainly knows how to shut me up with just plain facts. Still, no one is this naturally unemotive. All of us show some sort of cracks from time to time but I see none of those in him right now.

(Y/N): "Not many people would follow others that blindly, especially with how dangerous our work is."

Violet: "Our job is to handle life and death, one wrong misstep from any sort of plan usually spells out the latter of the two. I know that from experience."

(Y/N): "From which side, the soldier or the leader?" Silence, immediately it became quieter than it already was with just those words. It could be either or. A disobedient soldier that almost got himself killed by misstepping himself, or a leader who saved someone else who screwed up the entirety of the plan. Most people would assume the former with how obedient he's willing to be but... only a leader knows how obedient he wants his soldiers to be.

Violet: "I'd rather not talk about the past, there's nothing to hide or run from. It'll catch up to all of us eventually, but there's no need to confront it now."

(Y/N): "...If you say so." I was just about ready to head back inside, a tap to his back as I cracked my neck. "You like me to bake anything for you and Kurome? I'm pretty sure you two would get along with how often you snack."

Violet: "...A cake would be nice..."

(Y/N): "If you say so, Violet."