Chapter 22: Time's Game

Poney POV

I couldn't be too sure that I wasn't being followed, probably not by Akame but there was a chance either other Night Raid members or Revolutionary spies were nearby. There were bloodstains everywhere, most not near where Ibara took out from straggling spies when we were closing in on that graveyard. I'm pretty sure I already know who that is without even seeing their face.

(Y/N): "Are none of you going to fight back?" Screams were cut short after I heard (Y/N)'s voice, blood on his lips as he held his head in pain. I ran towards him as I saw him grab his sword defensively but quickly noticed who was approaching him.

Poney: "Those weren't civilians, right?"

(Y/N): "You know we don't attack civilians... well our team specifically especially after Hakuba." His eyes trailed away for a moment, closing his eyes with a pained expression that lasts for a moment before relaxing himself again. "They were spies looking for a secret passage to get into the cathedral if you want actual confirmation. Sorry for being late... Mez and Shuten died and I tried looking for their killer before coming here"

Poney: "...Ibara was dead after I reconvened with him since we split up to find anyone who was hiding." 3 of the 4 Rakshasas were dead already, and just last night we reunited with them. I could already see the dark look in his eyes, he lost himself after finding out Mez and Shuten died. He didn't want to give another reason he went to kill those spies so brutally.

(Y/N): "I'm going to need to report this to the Captain when we get back then... Run already confirmed Night Raid is here to the rest of us because he saw Akame near here. I'm guessing you saw her too, right?" I didn't know how to reply, how would he react if I said yes after knowing Ibara died here too? "You're not great at hiding things, I can tell by your face that I'm right. So, what did you two talk about?"

Poney: "How-"

(Y/N): "...You'd be dead if you fought her, or she'd be chasing you right now if you managed to get away and a fight between the two of you started. I'm glad that you're unharmed, but you're trying to hide something from me and I can't risk that after everything that's happened. I'm sorry."

Poney: "I can tell you that she didn't try to convince me to join Night Raid or the revolution. For all three of us, I can't say more than that." He wasn't going to attack me, but this is a risk on his trust with me. But for all of our sakes, I have to do this. He sighs, a yawn being heard from him as he turns around.

(Y/N): "...You're still alive, that's all I really care about. But let me tell you, if you want to leave the Empire at all I won't stop you. I can't guarantee your safety if we meet each other on the battlefield, but I'll let you leave... I just want you to tell me first instead of forcing your way out and killing the others."

Poney: "Then why won't you leave?"

(Y/N): "I..." He pauses for a moment before I see shock in his eyes as a pained scream left his lips. The entire time he was holding his head as I quickly looked around for his pain killers. "It's not that! That won't help!"

Poney: "Then what?" He relaxes, heavy breaths in the air as he gets back to his feet with a pained expression ever remaining.

(Y/N): "I-I can't... not after they died trying to protect the Empire. Not after... I promised her that I'd..."

Poney: "Promised who?" He remains silent, closing himself off yet again. He wasn't talking about Kurome, and I doubt that had anything to do with Corey either. Who was it then? "(Y/N)?"

(Y/N): "We should... head back. The others will get worried if we take too long, especially after everything that's happened. Also, I have new orders for you and the others. You're on guard duty for Bolic, leave the surveillance to the Jaegers." Trying to protect us as best he can, as usual. But after this, I can't tell if it's because he actually wants to protect us or the fact that I've caused some amount of distrust. It's something I just have to accept.

Poney: "...Alright."

(Y/N): "...Poney, thank you for everything, but don't worry about me so much. It's not worth worrying about someone who'll die when all this fighting is over."

Poney: "What? You can't be serious..."

(Y/N): "Honestly, the longer this lasts the longer I'll be cheating my own death with Harbinger. All of us want this to end someday, and barring some small rebellions, my own morality will get me killed to Murasame's curse eventually. So please, stop wasting your worries on a dead man."

Poney: "I..."

(Y/N): "Everything I'm doing... it's so all of you can be there for whatever the future holds. Keep whatever you want secret, I trust that one day that it's worth it for you." ...I hope so, so you don't have to suffer alone.