Chapter 18: Insanity's Bane

Kurome POV

I was able to escape Rubicante self-destructing because of Natala, but I lost all of my puppets other than him and Doya because of that and I don't know where Bols and (Y/N) are. Even if he was caught in the middle of that blast, (Y/N) would probably come back and come looking for us but I still have to be worried about Bols. ...That fight was too tiring, but I still need to be careful of any noise when I'm not too far from the battlefield. A slight rustling from the forest catches my attention as I see Bols step out.

Bols: "Kurome, it's you! Thank goodness, you're okay!"

Kurome: "I was worried about you too, Bols... That was such a huge explosion."

Bols: "I underwent a rite of flame resistance when I was with the incineration squad. But I still lost my Teigu..."

Kurome: "Oh, I see. Well, it's a relief that you're okay."

Bols: "But where's (Y/N)?"

Kurome: "...Weren't you helping him? Did he not escape the explosion with you?"

Bols: "I'm sorry, I didn't give him enough of a warning. I'm not sure if he's okay." That means he's still probably recovering... he'll be able to catch up to us soon I hope. Either he's looking for us or for Akame, there's no way he'd die like that.

Kurome: "He'll come back, his stubbornness and Harbinger's revival capabilities will bring him to us quickly. It'll only take a bit, we should head into town rather than wait for him though. Night Raid might still be targeting us."

Bols: "Right, you're not too hurt are you?"

Kurome: "I'm fine." We started to walk towards town, not much being said towards us as I kept my mind away from the worst case. Murasame's curse is killing him, but he's been able to kill a lot of things with Harbinger recently so he should still be fine for a while but what if they find him first? His time limit probably got shortened by quite a bit if he indeed got hit by that explosion or maybe it's out by now...

Bols: "We'll be reaching town soon."

Kurome: "There may be an ambush awaiting us still... but maybe Captain will come back. So let's be careful until then..." I stumbled down to the ground, grabbing my head in pain as I tried to reach for my candy bag again. I stopped eating my candy halfway through because Bols showed up, this isn't good."

Bols: "A-Are you alright, Kurome?! D-Does it hurt?"

Kurome: "I'm okay... I just need some candy." Bols reaches for my back as I'm about to eat my candy, what resembles a worried look on his face when I look back to give him my attention.

Chelsea: "You look like you're in pain... you poor thing. I know, I'll give you a good luck charm that will make it all go away." I felt a pain in the back of my neck, Bols no longer being there as I see a girl I didn't recognize yet somehow I already knew she was a part of Night Raid... and maybe somewhere else. "There... now it won't hurt anymore. Goodbye."

Kurome: "Sis... (Y-Y/N)..."

Chelsea: "Assassinations complete on two targets..."

(Y/N): "KUROME!"

(Y/N) POV

The girl stares back at me in fear at the shout of my voice, even I couldn't tell what tone I took anymore. Anger? Despair? Rage? Does it matter? I knew who she was... and because of her I lost another person I loved. First Cornelia... now Kurome...

I couldn't register my own movements, I was already next to Kurome after my shout, a clear fear in her eyes as she turned to face me. I heard her, two targets. Bols was dead as well because of her.

Chelsea: "How the hell did you get here so fast?!"

(Y/N): "That doesn't matter, does it? What does matter is that fact that I'll never forgive you, Oarburgh." There was nothing but malice, hate in my voice as she attempted to run from me. She reaches for Gaia Foundation, narrowly avoiding my first slash before transforming to Cornelia trying to dissuade me from attacking. I cut off the arm she used to transform as she started to run instead.

Chelsea: "Shit!" I toss Harbinger in front of her, spinning as it tries to return to me as she's forced to slow down to avoid it while I cut through her back as she falls to the ground. Her eyes become dull as she smirks, at what I don't know. It just made what I was going to do all the more gratifying.

(Y/N): "This was originally only for Cornelia and Gin, but you made this worse for yourself. This is for everyone." I know exactly where to strike to kill someone, so what happens the moment I want to drag out a death? Screams, so many screams on top of my own crazed laughter. The fear in her eyes turned to pain as more blood coated my vision before at some point there was nothing but my laughter in the air as rain began to pour down. "I did it... See, I told you guys that I'd kill all of them. Oarburgh's gone now." My laughter could be heard as a howl if anyone was nearby, it was an insane laugh but it quickly turned into sorrow as I calmed down before I looked behind me, seeing Kurome stumbling towards me.

Kurome: "(Y/N)? Are you okay?!" The blood was slowly washing away from my body, but it's no surprise she's worried even if she didn't see what caused all of this. I could only get back onto my feet and hug her as tight as I could.

(Y/N): "You're alive..." She seems to get the hint, my anger and sorrow changing to relief at just seeing her. "You're alive...!" Tears started to pour out of my eyes from happiness. She hugged me back as I couldn't stop repeating those few words.

Kurome: "Yeah, I'm okay..." She knows it by now, she's one of the few things keeping me sane. Otherwise... only my laughter would remain.

Jaegers remaining: 6

Night Raid remaining: 7