Chapter 27: Lost Song

(Y/N) POV

It took a while, but eventually a part of Night Raid showed up before us with my main disappointment coming from Akame seemingly being a part of their other unit for this mission. Not like the results would matter too much, I had no doubts in anyone's abilities for how well they'd do... but I know how tenacious and strong she is and no doubt she would eventually get here.

Esdeath: "Long time no see, Najenda."

Najenda: "Esdeath..."

Esdeath: "Since you went through all the trouble to get here... I'll treat you to my Teigu. And then we have so much catching up to do, in the torture chamber."

Najenda: "No thanks. I don't have anything to say to you."

(Y/N): "Captain." I drew out my sword already, a red gleam shining through the room as I twirled it in my hands for a second.

Esdeath: "There's no need to worry, I still have my Trump Card prepared just for this occasion."

Najenda: "What? I heard that your Teigu didn't have a Trump Card. What do you mean?"

Esdeath: "That's right. So I invented one myself. Pretty neat, huh?"

Susanoo: "She just wanted to brag."

Leone: "A trump card isn't usually something you can come up with yourself."

Najenda: "Breaking limits is so typical of Esdeath..."

Esdeath: "Either way, it's a technique that consumes a large amount of energy, so I can only use it once. And I'm expecting a battle that will force me to use it."

(Y/N): "Poney, Kurome. Focus on guarding Bolic. There's no doubt that the others will be here at some point."

Poney/Kurome: "Understood."

Esdeath: "Well then, here we come Night Raid!" Esdeath tries to crash an ice ball atop of them which their living Teigu breaks apart as I charge in to strike whilst he deflects my attacks. Ice shards are shot at the two of us as I dodge to have them make contact with him as he tried to break through them with his mace. They pierce through his body while smoke appears from his body as the wound quickly disappears. "You... You're the living Teigu from the reports, aren't you? That suddenly makes things more interesting!"

Susanoo: "Let us make a charge at her!"

Leone: "Yeah!" They already knew I'd try to intercept, Najenda using her prosthetic arm to hit me from afar as I dodged and quickly got behind Lionel's user as the Teigu ran towards Esdeath.

(Y/N): "Did you think it would be that simple?" She tries to attack me as I disappear from her sight again, landing multiple slashes all over her body before getting a strike through her heart as I'm pushed back again by Najenda.

Esdeath: "So that's the girl that can regenerate too? It seems I've found some interesting specimens here. I think I'll capture you all." No killing at all then? Very well...

(Y/N): "Understood." I went for Najenda first as Esdeath pushed them back with an ice path. I quickly knocked out Night Raid's leader as she attempted to dodge. She quickly fell to the ground as the other girl tried to charge back in towards me with Esdeath knocking her to the ground with a kick. Finally, the living Teigu jumps back into action as our Captain dodges the attack he makes and grabs onto his face, freezing him completely as she smirks.

Esdeath: "Capture complete." Slowly, she approaches the girl again with a smirk on her face before it changes back into a more menacing glare. She isn't just doing this for her own amusement, even if that is a part of it. I knew someone else was here too, and no doubt knew who it was. The girl screams as she's stabbed through her hand, being flipped over to see the pain on her face for what would come next. That healing ability... I'm curious about it. Does the rate of healing differ from body part to body part? I'll just have to test it out. I'll take out an eye, open an air hole in your cheek, tear off your finger nails, cut off your right breast, chop off your arm, stab your tail, slice off your leg, dig out your toes..." With each thing listed, she did exactly that with screams echoing through the cathedral no doubt. No doubt, a lot of healing abilities would be tested from this type of torture but how long she stayed alive for was still impressive. "You're still alive... that's some regenerative ability. Next, I'll give you a fatal wound. Let's see how much you can take." Finally, he started to move. I intercepted Tatsumi, punching him through a pillar as his invisibility wore off as I smirked a little.

(Y/N): "Took you long enough to show up, you god damn coward."

Esdeath: "So that's how you kept escaping my sight, Tatsumi... To think you would be Incursio's current wielder." He flinched for a second, he didn't want us knowing who he was already but it would come to light eventually.

(Y/N): "If you value your life, I suggest that you surrender. Because no matter how you look at it, you're horribly outclassed." Out of the corner of my eye I saw Najenda start moving again. They've got to have some other gambit here, otherwise this was a complete suicide mission. So... what is that gambit?

Akame POV

We barely had any chances to breathe in our fight with these three. Wave had a relentless onslaught against both me and Lubbock while one of the assassins kept Mine on the toes constantly and was fast enough to dodge all of the shots she made. Even trying to restrain Wave alone was hard, with the other assassin constantly making me divert my path away from Lubbo's threads.

Violet: "What are you waiting for? The longer you stay here, the more likely it is that your friends are dying."

Wave: "Violet, move! If she's going to keep dodging I'm going to charge right at her!" He stops, finally entangled from all of the threads as I try to deal with Violet now. He quickly blocks, making sure the blade was nowhere near enough to make contact with his body.

Violet: "He's tough on everyone, but making us train the way he did does help with combatting that Teigu..."

Cidd: "Wave, what's the hold up?!"

Mine: "Backoff already!" Mine finally gets pressure away from her as Pumpkin fires a large laser that her assailant's barely able to get out of the way of and regroups with his friend.

Lubbock: "S-She wasn't just.... Avoiding your attacks... She was wrapping your body in thread... and fastening you to this tree."

Wave: "I'll just slice through this like I did before!"

Lubbock: "It's Boundary Cutting thread. I prepared this particular type ahead of time. You go on ahead, Akame!" He's in pain, but he's trying to fake a sacrificial death here for us to complete our mission. The other two looked towards each other for a moment before backing off a little.

Wave: "Stop them!"

Cidd: "Hell no, we know when we're outclassed. Sorry to say, but what our boss says is a higher priority than you right now."

Violet: "If you got retrained or defeated somehow, we were ordered to back down. We'll get you out if you want to continue this, though. Akame, the boss said he wanted to meet you alone at some point. Back where only you and him would know." Back... there? And alone... he wants me to live and get away after this mission... I just nodded to those words before leaving. Of course, we waited for a little while, only taking a few more minutes as we heard Wave rushing towards us again.

Wave: "Grand fa-!"

Mine: "Slow and steady wins the race, as they say. I knew if I waited, you'd come to try to stop us eventually. And from what the other two were saying, this time they aren't here to stop me!" He's launched far off into the distance, a twinkle in the sky as he disappears from sight. "With that armor, he's probably not dead. But at least I got him away from us."

Akame: "Let's head to the cathedral!" Where... all of them are waiting for us...