Chapter 17: Shadows of the Past

(Y/N) POV

Akame didn't waste a moment to attack Kurome to catch in a weakened state due to having all of Yatsufusa's puppets summoned but she's still able to deflect the first attack of the assault before striking back with her own. I block the next slash with Harbinger's gauntlet before Natala follows up getting closer to pushing her off the Death Tagool.

Akame: "How could you use Natala like this?! You grew up with him as teammates!" Kurome charges at her again, clashing with each other as Akame tries her best to hold her ground in order to not fall off.

Kurome: "What are you talking about, sister? It's because he was my teammate that I want to stay with him. I'm going to add you to my collection too, then we can be together again like the old days."

Akame: "...Don't even joke about that."

(Y/N): "It's the perfect way for you to never betray us again, right?!" The next blow I landed pushed her off, Bols on the ground ready to attack with a more precise shot from Rubicante as we see Akame's panicked look before Incursio's wielder is able to bring her to safety while me, Natala and Kurome go to a cliffside. I spot their sniper from this distance, pointing towards her to Kurome as she stares down.

Kurome: "You betrayed us to join them... Go! Death Tagool!" An energy blast was shot towards most of Night Raid, all of them making it out unscathed as Mine tries to take another shot at Kurome. I bring my hand in front of her face, Harbinger's gauntlet blocking it again before Natala uses Trisula to allow another puppet to distract her.

(Y/N): "You already know they can have other members that are hiding, stay safe." Kurome nods as I see one member staying still after Najenda pins Rokugou to the ground. She doesn't get a second to react as I sliced her arm off as she then grabs the wound in pain. "This is a battlefield, you should know by now that one opening can lead to your death. Or are all of you here amateurs?"

Leone: "Now you've done it, you son of a bitch." She screams, the bleeding from her arm stops as I clearly see the anger on her face as if I didn't hear it from her voice earlier. That regeneration... I did hear Lionel was made by the Gravekeepers but that's still some impressive regeneration. "I'll show you what happens when you piss off a lion!"

Najenda: "Don't be so hasty, Leone! We already-" Najenda was able to dodge Harbinger's scythe then blocks my blade before Rokugou gets back up and forces her back again whilst I focus back on Leone. She misses her first punch while I grab her leg when she attempts to kick me and toss her into the mountainside and stab through her chest. She powers through, taking my sword for herself and landing a slash across my chest as I smile.

(Y/N): "You're not the only one that can regenerate you know. Though I can already tell which one's better here."

Leone: "Shut up!" I catch her punch this time, taking my weapon back as my smile fades.

(Y/N): "You aren't who I'm after, so why don't you take a nap." I slammed her face into the ground, not killing her but probably going to knocking her out for a while even with Lionel's abilities. Akame's fighting Bols right now, as I saw her get pushed back by Wall before trying to attack her myself. She's able to react in time, trying to land a slash across my cheek that I avoid. "Deal with the others, she's mine."

Bols: "You sure?"

(Y/N): "...She's the reason I even joined this team. So unless you're providing me with support, go."

Bols: "Allow me to ask her something first. Akame, why did you join the Rebel Army? It would've been so reassuring to have you still on our side." She's resolute, bringing her arm to her chest in declaration with an unwavering gaze.