Chapter 9 A Beating Secret

After that night that you almost got into a serious fight with Jeff, everything else came by smoothly for the rest of the week. Almost all of the Creepypasta seemed to relax their positions towards you, slowly but steadily accepting you as one of their own. Similarly, you also relaxed somehow, but the dark thoughts never completely left your mind. Maybe you were over cautious due to your madness or that you failed to trust anyone too much after the attack you had, you did not know. Still, that didn’t stop you from coming close with them, especially with Toby and EJ.

    Toby was really what you would say the happy-go-lucky kind of guy. When he didn’t have his madness and insanity attacks, he was the troublemaker around the house, pulling pranks on both Masky and Hoodie and anyone else that happened to be around him. Most of them you found really amusing, when he didn’t go too far with them. His twitches started to grow on you, and you kind of found them funny, especially when he was trying to be serious –these very few times-. He had even pulled some pranks on you, like the time he cooperated with Sally and they both attacked you with two bags of flour. At first you were mad, but then managed to pull a smile and Toby high-fived Sally. He strongly reminded you of your guy best friend back in the days before you turned to a Creepypasta and he seemed to hang around you most of the time, trying to make you smile again, since it was a rare sight for one to see. And in fact his always cheerful mood seemed to affect you for the best, as you started opening up more to them, officially starting your friendship with the other Creepypasta as well. His happiness though didn’t stop you for disciplining him whenever one of his pranks went too far, scolding him every time.

  On the other hand, EJ was more of the quiet type.

He always seemed to prefer to stand back, away from the others, always leaning against the wall with his hands crossed on his chest, standing behind the sofa and simply observing all the others from there, even when you were all watching TV. He very rarely spoke, only to make a logical observation or explain something. Or at least he rarely spoke when everybody was together. You had caught him various times talking with Jeff silently when nobody was around and he always seemed to be the first to start a conversation when it was just the two of you, which was quite many times. He was always calm, relaxed and curious about every little thing that could possibly exist, making it a little bit amusing for you, as he reminded you of a child, curious about the huge world around him. Especially one night that you were cooking something to eat when everyone was out, he was observing you so intensely while you made the omelet, his blue mask following your every move, while you still couldn’t guess what he was thinking. You offered him some, but he kindly refused, saying he didn’t eat this stuff. Now that you thought about it, he never in fact ate, and simply joined everyone in the meals, under Slenderman’s orders you guessed. He was always helping you change the bandages on your leg, keeping an eye out for any noticeable changes on the wound and noting the healing progress, always reassuring you that you were doing just fine and soon, you wouldn’t need the bandages.

  But despite his reassuring tone every time he checked you, you were still unable to walk without the crutch and the bandages needed frequent change, as blood was staining them too quickly. The pain was somewhat eased with some special pills EJ was giving you, but you were nowhere even near recovery, which only triggered your annoyance and madness even more. The feelings of helplessness started coming back to you, leading you to have insanity attacks, smashing any breakable object that was in close vicinity. This was when Toby and EJ were coming to help you, one with jokes and the other one holding your hands down in case you needed to punch them also and with more pills.

  It was frustrating. It was so frustrating for you to have to depend on others and be in constant pain and torture both physically and mentally. As if all these weren’t enough, your senses had also started to deteriorate considerably. Despite the fact that you were eating and sleeping in normal rates, your powers had started deteriorating, something that troubled you even more. What the hell was happening? Why were they disappearing? You couldn’t possibly be turning back into a human· the insanity was there to prove it, but what was happening? You didn’t even dare to admit it to anyone, not even EJ who might be able to help, in case they decided that you were too unstable and you were casted out once again. You were getting used to them slowly, but you wouldn’t want to lose the roof above your head no matter what.

 So you were trying to keep a distance from the others as much as possible, staying for many hours on your room, trying to concentrate and make your powers come back bit by bit, but to your utter frustration, nothing was happening.

 You had to take drastic measures before something bad happened.

‘No Sally, you can’t come with me.’ You said to her as you pulled the hoodie over your head, making sure that you were wrapped from bottom to top with the warm clothes.

 ‘But why? Why? Why? Why? Why?’ she protested.

You turned towards her and messed her hair playfully ‘Because first, it’s cold outside and secondly, I need to practice and I want absolute silence.’ You said and walked up to the front door, opening it and allowing the cold air rush inside, making the little girl shiver and take a step back.

 ‘I’ll make it up to you when I get back. Now stay here and be a good girl.’ You say as you go outside, closing the door behind you.

  You take a deep breath, feeling the coldness of the air penetrating deep into your lungs, as if you were breathing for the very first time.

Somehow, it made you feel a little bit better, with your mind clearing up considerably. Gazing to the empty garden, as far as your eye can see, the snow has covered pretty much everything, almost hiding the beautiful fountain and any small pots with plants. For the last week the blizzards had been too severe for even the Creepypasta to go outside and hunt. You were seeing the irritation growing and growing with the passing moments, as they were idle for too long. So today, when the blizzard finally stopped for a little bit, many of them went out, going for a little hunt. You felt kind of jealous of them, since you hadn’t hunted down for about one and a half weeks and even your bloodlust seemed to be magnified, making you unable to think straight sometimes. Like the time Slenderman brought Sally’s favorite cherry juice and you asked him where he found the automatic blood selling machines.

  Of course, this caused Toby, Ben and unfortunately Jeff to burst out laughing and need about half an hour to stop.

 You growled slowly under your breath, as you made your way out of the garden, the crutch making it difficult to walk, as it always sunk under the snow, making it almost impossible to walk properly. Your knives were carefully tucked under your hoodie, placed on your waist. You knew perfectly well, that in case of an attack, you could only defend yourself through stamina and effective defense· you could neither attack nor flee.

   The forest around you was silent, all dressed in a strict white color, mixed with small tints of brownish black, every time one of the trees wasn’t completely covered. The scenery was harsh and breathtaking at the same time, reminding you strongly of how death is. Cold, harsh, but utterly beautiful. On your mind came the memories of the black lake that you had sunken, peacefully waiting for the end of your existence, until insanity was thrust upon you. You weren’t complaining through· you were given a second chance to correct your sins and make up for what is lost. And you were going to do just that.

   After a while of constant walking, you came across a clearing among the trees. It was just a small clearing, with a beautiful view to the sky and a big rock under a tree. Walking up to it, you clear it a bit from all the snow and sit yourself there, careful not to cause any pain on your leg. It was perfect. Away from the house, in the heart of the forest, enclosed on deafening silence. Just what you needed for practice.

    You make yourself a bit more comfortable and letting your hands rest on your legs, you straighten your back and close your eyes. At first, you were going to practice with your most helpful sense. Hearing. Focusing for the first time on your hearing ability, it doesn’t take long for you to realize that it is exactly the same with an ordinary human’s. You can’t hear in a far distance, neither make out every single sound around you. Still, you are eager to practice more.

 You relax the best you can and focus on the sounds around you. The wind which filters among the trees. The faint creaking sound of the branches. A small river that runs somewhere on your right. All sound of the wild, breathtaking nature circle around you, a faint music to your ears. You focus on your breathing, inhaling and exhaling in a controlled, calm way, focusing hard around you.

After some considerable amount of time, your calm face grimaces’ from the constant trying.

It is more difficult than you first thought.

 You try harder and harder, but nothing really happens.  You open your eyes irritated, gazing upon the clearing and then close them again.
 This time, you search around your mind, until you reach a certain dark side. Your insanity. Hesitantly and with great caution, you touch the black surface.

  And everything around you explodes in a wave of sound.

As if a miracle happened, you can hear everything.

The wind in the far distance, where some caves must be located, howling loudly inside them, the sound of the water as it washes away rocks from the river side, the branches that hit each other, the tiny snowflakes that make their way to the ground, resting beside their already fallen sisters, a few small birds singing merrily and defying the bitter cold. A fully grown deer that is searching around in the distance, a pair of rats running among the snow. Heavy steps of another animal that you are unable to recognize. The sound of tearing and the faint thumb the deer’s body makes as it falls to the ground. Then, sounds of ripping apart reaches your ears, as the other animal feeds.

  Taken aback from the sudden change in your abilities, you inhale deeply.

Only to smell everything.

The mold, the dry air, the water, the tree trucks, the smell of the rats, the coldness that hang around you and then the lustful smell of blood.
  You could hear and smell everything in about 300 meters radius, allowing the alluring senses to drive you to ends they had chosen. Especially, they drove you towards the alluring smell of blood. The creature was still feeding on the deer, but the only thing you managed to focus on, was the blood.

And then…

Ba-dump.

Your eyes pop open. What the hell was that? You look around you confused, trying to see through the trees the best you can. No. It can’t be. A heart? Was that just now a heart beat? How can this be? Even with using your abilities, you couldn’t detect the human that was near? But why can’t you hear him now? The heart beat can’t disappear in an instant like that. Holding your breath for a moment, you realize that all sounds around the forest have seized. Even the eating creature had stop.

 Ba-dump   Ba-dump.

The heartbeat was so close to you! Standing up, you are being careful not to make the slightest sound, trying to hear even through the silence, towards the beating, that seems to have disappeared again. But there is another, more menacing sound hovering in the air. The sound of running. The creature that was once eating the poor deer was now running among the trees, its feet landing with power on the ground, ejecting its body forward with high speed. It only took you a second to realize, it was coming towards you. And it took you only another second, to see it appear through the trees right across from you.

  If you were a human, you would have had a heart attack right at that point, killing you instantly.

  But since you weren’t human anymore, you managed to hold back your scream, only glaring at the creature with a face, a mixture of terror and doubt. It appeared to be male· or at least it used to be sometime in the far past.

  It was standing in all four, its back legs being identical to human but his arms were going down to shape terrible claws in the end, so big, you were sure they could tear a human in two in a matter of seconds. Its body was so skinny, that it was almost like just bones protruding from every possible angle, with just a faint layer of skin covering them. It had a large, demon-like mouth and black sclera with no iris. Just gazing inside these dark abysses, you slowly felt the little specks of sanity being washed away. It growled loudly, a shrieking that made your blood turn cold and send goosebumps down your spine. Then, it attacked you.

  It was so fast, you were barely able to draw your knives out and slash it hard on the face with the two sharp blades.

 It fell back, landing in full four and growling like a demon from hell, with blood coming out of its face where the slashes were. You took a small step back, only to steady yourself more for the upcoming attack.

 BA-DUMP.

You searched through the trees like a madwoman, trying to locate the passing human, before neither he nor the creature in front of you could see him. But you were distracted. The creature snatched the opportunity immediately and launched itself against you, teeth baring and with a mad-like frenzy that made it scream, its scream echoing throughout the whole forest. This time, you reacted slowly. You raised your right hand, trying to protect your face, only to scream loudly when you felt its razor-sharp teeth sinking deep into your flesh. Its body smashed against yours, your injured leg and your good one failed to maintain the sudden weight, leading you to fall heavily back into the snowed ground, the creature falling heavily above you, trapping you in between. You screamed from the pain and tried to free your hand, only for the creature’s teeth to sink even further.

   Red spots had started to stain your vision as you slowly felt your mind slip into the insanity, a chain reaction to the pain you were feeling. Your pained screams quickly turned into an insane laughter that echoed even louder than the creature’s growls, making it stop and stare at you for a moment, only to proceed into shaking your hand with its jaws, trying to rip it off.

  You laughed insanely as you saw your own blood coming rushing out of the wound and holding one of the knives with your other hand, you stab the creature straight in the base of the neck. Again and again and again, laughing more and more insanely with ever single stab, until you completely slipped into the insanity. You kicked it straight in the stomach with your good leg and started stabbing it right on the face, trying to release yourself no matter what.

   But in contrary to your attempts, it continued to clench its jaws on your hand, making you feel that it was slowly reaching the bone. You scream loudly and stab the creature right in between of its eyes.

  Immediately, you feel the bite loosen and the creature releases you, screaming loudly with black blood staining its face as it backed down a little bit, bringing its hands to its face in total pain.

  You tried to get away, crawling your way out.

BA-DUMP.

Again the same sound. You freeze, as you see the creature releasing its face immediately and gazing towards you with a look of pure insanity in its crazed smile. It raises its hand, claws glowing sharp in the strong sunlight, ready to bring it down upon you, while you realize that this one you can’t avoid. It shrieks victoriously, a dangerous glow on its eyes.

  Then everything happens in slow motion.

The clawed hand slowly comes down towards you.

 You can’t do anything but stare in shock as you see the inevitable death.

Then, there is a silver flash that almost blinds you.

  And the raised hand detaches from the rest of the body, a fountain of red blood rushing out in abundance.
GET AWAY FROM HER!’ a crazy voice pounds in your ears as you see a black shadow with a blue tint standing above you, a red substance dripping down from its right hand.

  ‘EJ!’ you murmur slowly as you recognize the tall man above you.

 The creature shrieks and screams and turning it grabs its amputated hand and runs away between the trees, disappearing in a few seconds.

You blink the blurriness away from your eyes, as you see EJ kneeling beside you, passing his hands under your armpits and with a strong move, he pulls you on your feet, holding you close to him for support. His blue mask betrays no emotion, but you can literally feel his anger boiling under his emotionless mask and resonating through his body.

 ‘What the hell are you doing here ____?’ he demands to know, shaking you strongly, trying to make you talk by raw force, his voice a hell whisper.

 ‘I…came..to practice.’ You simply mumble, suddenly too tired, your voice cracking in the end.

  ‘Practice with the Rake?! If you want to die, I can f*cking guarantee I can kill you with my bare hands!’ his voice was so full of anger, that his kind manners had completely disappeared. Still, this was the last thing that mattered to you.

 Your body wavers strongly and he grabs you even harder to prevent you from falling, only for you to surprise him completely, when you lean on him for support, your arms tying behind his back.

  ‘I’m so happy you’re here EJ.’ You say as tears run down your face. For the first time, your cold pokerface cracks. You were completely terrified. You saw your life go through your eyes and you were sure you were about to see your family again, killed by that horrendous creature.

 At first, EJ is stiff as a statue, taken aback from your unexpected reaction. He wasn’t used into these acts of thankfulness and kindness, let alone from a girl. If blood stilled raced through his body, his skin would have turned into a rich cherry-red color and his heart would explode inside his chest. Still, he wasn’t. Slowly, as if he was afraid and unsure about his own movements, he hugs you back.

 ‘I’m so sorry!’ you whisper.

‘Just don’t wander around again.’ He says and both of you break the hug.

He looks down, noticing the severe bite on your right hand. Following his gaze, you see where he was looking.

 ‘Ah, it’s not so painful.’ You give him a straight lie and smile awkwardly.

He just sighs ‘I’ll treat it for you back to the house.’

He turns and walks in front of you, with you following him from behind the best you could, as he went to fetch your crutch. You were thankful he happened to pass from there. From what you knew, he had gone out for hunting. What a relief he was there though…

Ba-dump Ba-dump Ba-dump.

Both you and EJ freeze.

Now this noise had officially started to get on your bad nerves. Where the f*ck was that human?!

‘Well well, what do we have here?’ EJ mumbles slyly and turns towards you, his emotionless mask turning to you.

 You look at him with a puzzled look, only to feel a small breeze, as everything around you blurs. You feel your back hit hard against the tree trunk, as a hand snatches you from the neck and squeezes so tight, that you immediately begin to choke. You struggle to breathe, as you see EJ standing inches away from you, the hand belonging to him. His head tilts to the side a little bit as he observes you struggle.

‘EJ what the hell?!’ you demand to know as you try to loosen his hand with your good one.

  When he speaks, his voice is even more nerve-racking and horrible than before.

‘What a lovely beating heart you’ve got there ____.’

‘What?!’ you manage to say.

You can sense the sly and paranoid smirk that had definitely spread on his face, and in fact you see it, as he pulls his mask slightly upwards, revealing only his mouth, smirking evilly, with shark-like teeth. Seeing the fear in your eyes, he smiles even wider and brings his scalpel above your chest.

‘How ‘bout you let me take a close look?’