Chapter 49 Who Are You And Who Am I?

Your hand grabbed the thick branch of the tree hard, using it to help you climb up higher and higher into the majestic pine tree, your hands and legs clawing hard on the rough surface of the trunk, using any crack and hole to aid you into climbing it even faster. The full aroma of the morning humidity that had wrapped the tree gently as soon as the sun had set, was still evident, even if today's sun had long ago climbed the perfectly clear sky, with the sharp aroma reaching deep down into your lungs. With your mind completely focused on the task at hand, you drown out all the other distractions around you, such as the strong songs of the various birds around you, the distant sound of water crashing hard against the rocks that awaited them in the bottom of the waterfall and even the more distant growls, produced by the Rake.

  Carefully placing your foot to the large branch, you manage to step on it completely, with no actual consequences other than the faint tilting down due to your weight, making your way to stand to the very edge, careful of where you were stepping on, as well as not to be seen by anyone looking at the tree right then. With movements equal to a cat's, you lean your torso with exceptional ease and gaze downwards to a small purple tent that is located right in the middle of the small clearing. You didn't even need your supernatural hearing ability to be able to hear the beating of the two strong hearts that resonated from deep within the tent, their beat strong and steady, accompanied by the soft sound of breathing, as the humans inside –one male and one female- slept peacefully, completely oblivious to the horrors that awaited them outside their tent. Still, it was strange that they had managed to slip so far inside the forest completely undetected by Slenderman himself, but maybe the faceless master just let them be for just once. But this did not, in any way, mean that you would do the same.

  Checking the rest of the surroundings with a quick scan of your eyes, you turn to look to the bottom of the tree trunk that you had climbed, only to see EJ's tall figure looking up at you to give him the signal to go, which you do, with a small nod of your head. Almost immediately, the cheerful song of a mocking bird comes out of the eyeless man's lips, sounding a lot more louder than it would be if there was a real mocking bird somewhere around. As E. J. had explained to you earlier this morning, he was using this particular trick every time he was plainly bored to hit town and just searched for some campers inside the wounds to supply him with his usual meal easily and without the need to be extra careful not to get caught. And he was totally right that the trick always worked.

   You heard the male's otherwise relaxed breathing get caught inside his lungs and his heartbeat immediately changed, turning from his calm and sleeping one, to a much faster one, signaling to you that he was waking up. Stirring uncomfortably, he eventually sat up upon the second false signal by E.J. and you heard him inhale a sharp breath before he turned to his side and started shaking the female lightly, trying obviously to wake her up.

  'Babe, com' on wake up. You got to hear this.' his surprisingly heavy voice sounded like a bell in your ears, limiting his age to twenty five at best inside your mind.

  'Waa-?' the female mumbled, her voice annoyed by the early wake up.

'There's a mocking bird near. C'mon, let's go take a look.' His voice sounded ecstatic.

'Really?' now it was the female that sat up 'Well go out and I'll be there in a sec Bob.'

  That was the pont were E. J. whistled for a third time.