Chapter 23 The Fault In Our Destinies

It was rather clearer than the moonlit sky that Jeff and EJ were paying close attention to you. For some reason, it appeared that they were constantly around you, very rarely leaving you on your own and always throwing worried glances towards you, when they thought you weren’t looking. You tried countless times to confront them with it and ask them what the f*ck was going on, but both of them just shrugged you off by telling you that there was nothing to worry about. And as if that wasn’t enough, EJ seemed to be quieter towards you after the snowball fight, barely even speaking to you.

  Things were rather strange, but none of the others seemed to notice also, not even Jane and Clockwork.

   Slenderman still had the hunt banning on, so the other residents of the house found themselves bored out of their minds, especially Jeff and Toby, and constantly trying to come up with ways to evade the banning and have some fun. But, Slenderman always seemed to be on their tracks every single time, and all of them knew that if they broke the rules, the consequences would be severe for them. After some days though, that included you spending most of your time in your room to get away from the constant gazes of the two other killers, you made the conclusion that you needed to visit your old house again. Not for checking if everything was okay, but rather to get some of your stuff as well, since you noticed that your room barely had any stuff.

   You also noticed –quite from the start to be honest- that you didn’t have your cross necklace anymore. Your father always told you that it was made from a very rare naturally black iron and that the text on it was the Lord’s Prayer that was written with gold letters. It appeared that you might have lost it when the murderers grabbed you from the neck and started punching you or when the leader smashed you against the kitchen table. You had lost it somewhere among those lines. And it felt rather strange. You wore it from the moment you first remember yourself, and your grandfather’s words to ‘never take it off, no matter what’ still echoed inside your mind, giving you an uneasy feeling, even now that you were a near-immortal creature that was sank inside insanity.

   With that in mind, you went into Slenderman’s office and explained the situation to him. He seemed quite understanding, even agreeing that it was a really good idea to go to your house once again. He believed that it would help you come into terms with your family’s death and you can finally get your conclusion that would help you move on and even drive the nightmares away. It was rather fatherly of him. But he was against the idea of you going along. It was just too risky and the town was still flooded with policemen, even if their numbers had fallen considerably. So it was absolutely necessary to go with someone else. He left the decision on who would be up to you, but you were absolutely not going to leave the house on your own.

  You sighed loudly and throwing one last look on your mirror, you make sure your ponytail is okay and head out of the room.

 ‘Jeff? Are you ready?’ you say, knocking on his door that was right next to yours. You lean on the wall beside it, as you hear the smiling killer shuffle a little bit more inside his room, opening a drawer and withdrawing a metal thing from inside –obviously his knife- and stuffing it inside his hoodie pocket, tearing some of the very exposed fibers, he makes his way towards the closed door.

  In a matter of milliseconds, the door is opened and a very excited Jeff appears from behind it. His carved smile seemed to be even larger than before, while his black never-blinking eyes were glowing in the faint light from the excitement.

‘Done!’ he says raising his hands in the air and making an exploding sound, in which you just roll your eyes. But when his arms wrap around you and he spins you around, your eyes open wide with surprise and your mouth falls open.

  ‘Are you really that excited that I’m taking you with me?’ you say as he squeezes you to death.

  ‘Anything to get me out of da f*cking house.’ he smirks ‘And maybe kill someone.’

In his words, anger flashes inside your mind ‘No! I gave my word to Slender! If you’re going to get me into trouble, I’m leaving you here and taking Clockwork instead!’

 In response, he chuckles darkly and places his fingers on your chin, making you look at his black eyes, still smirking at you slyly.

  ‘You’re so cute when you’re mad.’

You slap his hand away and escape the closeness by walking down the stairs, before he’s able to see the blush that spreads on your cheeks but earning another laugh from him. Angrily, you raise your hoodie and throw him an angry glare.

  ‘Well are you coming or not?’

   Stuffing his hands in his pockets, he walks to you slowly, walking lazily, only driving you madder and when he finally passes by you, he holds his head high, enjoying the fact that he got you off guard this time. You sigh annoyed and follow him out of the house, starting to walk on the garden and in a very short while, among the tall trees. The moonlight shines brightly above the two of you, enabling you to throw death glares at Jeff who seems to utterly ignore them, wolf-whistling along the way and walking with his hands behind his head. He knows you are mad; you know he is messing with you. The fact that you wanted to go back at your house alone didn’t help as well. But it was a necessary evil, so you would accept it just for tonight.

  ‘So what do you wanna get from your house?’ he purrs at you.

 ‘Just some things I left behind when I left it. My mp4, my drawing kit and some other things. That, of course, if they’re still there.’ You grumble lightly.

  ‘We could have bought you new ones.’

‘I still don’t even have clothes that are mine.’

  ‘Fair enough.’ He smirks at you.

   Reaching the town premises, you start walking on the empty street, towards a direction you knew all too well. The closer your feet brought you to your house, the stiffer you grew and your heart pounded loudly inside your chest. Thankfully, its sound meddled quite well with the rest of the hearts that were around you, drowning the sound and passing it unnoticed right under Jeff’s nose. It was two months since you left your house. Since then, you had absolutely no idea what had happened back there. Did the investigators empty the whole place? Did they remove any sign that your family was murdered? Did they sell the house? Did they demolish it? All these questions were tangled up in a haze inside your mind, making any other thought go out like candles in the strong wind. And you couldn’t lie to yourself, so you knew that you felt somewhat strange going back at your house after what happened.

   Your uneasiness was so evident, that even the smiling killer noticed it, leaving aside his playful tone and soon growing silent as well, his piercing eyes nailed on you to detect any strange behavior or possible outbreak. Still, you remained calm and collected, your eyes serious as always, with the only difference being a small dark glow that invaded them more and more by each step you took. Your aura had also grown black and gloomy. It reminded him of when you were sleepwalking. If he hadn’t had a carved smile, he would be frowning.

  Eventually, you reached an abandoned house.

  For Jeff it was yet another simple house that could be found in the small towns of the countryside. It was a two storey house with a small attic hidden under the roof and a front porch that had a swing for little children. It was all made of wood, with some stairs that lead to the front door and a small garden that was now covered with heavy snow along with the only huge cedar tree that hanged above the garden gracefully. All windows were dark and betrayed that no one was home. If he judged from the forgotten Halloween decorations that were still lingering around the yard, as well as the rotten pumpkins that decorated the front porch, he would have to say that no one was there for quite a while now. And if he wasn’t a killer, he wouldn’t be able to notice the heavy odor of blood that was emitted through the very same wood that held the place together. Immediately, an uneasy feeling stirred inside the killer’s stomach, making his sanity switch twitch back and forth, as the blood aroma triggered his killer instincts as well as the danger switches.

  But for you, this was the house where you grew up.

   When you were little, you had fallen off that swing on the front porch and your father was so angry that wanted to take it down, but your mother convinced him not to after almost a week. You remembered quite clearly the small picnics you had with Cady under that same cedar tree that your grandparents planted when they first moved in here. On the top left corner of the top floor was your own bedroom, with the small charms that you used to hang out of your window for luck still being there. You remember helping your dad carve those huge pumpkins that decorated the front door a week before Halloween. Now that Christmas was around the corner, the Christmas should already be placed behind the window on your right, were the living room was.

   But now, the house was screaming with silence, without a single living soul wandering around its heartwarming rooms. It appeared as if the family that lived in there had left it in a hurry, without the proper time to pick anything up and left it for just a short while. Only that you knew the family that lived there was never going to come back. And the yellow tape that was hanged in a huge X cross on the entrance door with the warning ‘Crime Scene’ made sure that no one would get close enough.

  You felt Jeff’s gaze nailed on you and you knew that the hot-bloodied killer had questions that were wandering around his mind, but you also knew that, right now, you were in no position to answer them. You clenched your jaw firmly and breathed in a breath of courage, before you started walking towards the door with determination. The male killer followed close behind, looking around for any prying eyes.

  Reaching the door, you grumble in annoyance and pull down the yellow tapes, freeing the door. Raising your hand to the top of the nearby lamp, you feel around the upper surface with your fingers and letting out an exclamation of happiness, you pull the spare key back and using it, you open the door.

  Immediately, an all-too-familiar scent reaches your nose. Apple and cinnamon. The whole house used to smell just like that, as your mother loved to bake an apple cake once every week. Still, the air was stuffy and the wonderful smell was altered by the heavy humidity and the dust that had settled in. Walking inside, your steps echo hard on the wooden floor, while you look around you in awe. Everything is just as you have left it, minus your family’s bodies and the recently placed body outlines on the floor that revealed where the rest of your family was found. Even the broken kitchen table was in place. Suddenly, you just couldn’t bear being in there. The air was so stuffy, the walls were coming close to you and your breathing came out fast and shallow. It was unbearable for you to be in there. You could almost see the corpses of your family lying on the floor motionless and cold as the night outside, you could almost hear the desperate screams for help reverberating in the silent house, you could almost hear the insane laughter of the murderers echoing in the distance. And you were hearing your mind ready to explode.

   ‘____ are you okay?’ Jeff asks with concern painting his voice and he moves his hand to place it above your shoulder, only that you quickly take a step forward, avoiding it.

   ‘Please don’t touch me right now Jeff.’ You warn the killer lightly, looking straight at the floor and then at his confused black eyes ‘Let’s get my stuff and get the hell outta here.’

‘Why?’

‘Because I f*cking say so.’

   Without waiting for him, you run up the stairs and on to your own bedroom, swinging the door wide open and allowing it to hit the wall beside it. Thankfully, nothing in your room seems to have changed. Everything is as you had left it.

  Walking to the wardrobe, you open it and grabbing one of your largest backpacks, you throw it on the bed and start packing. Jeff has walked to your room and is now leaning against the doorframe with his hands crossed above his chest, eyeing you suspiciously.

  ‘What the h#ll is wrong with you?!’ he demands to know as you storm around your room, packing anything portable, except from your clothes.

  ‘I can’t stand being in here. I wanna get out now before I f*cking lose it.’ You mumble as you pack your favorite sheets along with your blankets.

  ‘You’re an idiot! You should want to be in here all the time! This place should be what triggers your insanity.’ He says angrily.

 ‘Well not for me. If you ask me, this place only reminds me of what I’ve lost. So excuse me, but if you want to stay more, stay by yourself.’ You say and zip the first backpack up, opening the second one.

  ‘_____ this place can only give fuel to your insanity. Trigger your anger, not scare you to craziness. Hell, after I killed my family, I stayed for a year inside the house.’

  ‘You’re a different person Jeff.’ You say and picking the bags up, you turn to him dead in the eye ‘I just want to get out of this hell hole before it triggers more nightmares than I already have.’

 His eyes widen ‘You mean you have nightmares other than two days ago?’

‘What do you mean?’ you ask puzzled.

  He grumbles and kicks the floor ‘Two days ago, you were sleep waking. You got out of the house and started mumbling some nonsense and passed out on the snow. Me and EJ picked you up and carried you back in your room.’

  Realization hits you hard on the face.

  You clearly remember the dream you had two nights before. You were seeing the same five people that had their hearts ripped out of their chests. Once again they were telling you that they found you and that someone was coming for you. You were screaming and trying to fight them back any way you could find, but they still managed to pin you down. But weren’t you at your own bed when that happened? Did they make you sleepwalk? What the hell was going on? What were you supposed to do? Wasn’t that only a dream? What the h@ll was wrong with you?

    Jeff watched as your bright orange eyes turned from the even tone they had to a complete crazed one, confirming his suspicions. Something just wasn’t going well with you. It was clear that something was scaring you out of your mind, as you eyes filled with complete horror, the same one his victims only had. This only triggered his curiosity more. You started hyperventilating, raising a hand on your forehead and dropping the bags heavily on the floor, desperately trying to keep yourself calm.

 ‘The cross…the cross…I need to find the cross!’ you mumble as your gaze turns unfocused and numb.

  Jeff’s mouth half-opens; you look like you are hypnotized, as if there is no connection between the outside world and your brain. You look around the room, throwing yourself on every drawer you have and pull them all out violently, desperately looking for something that wasn’t there. Jeff pulled himself off the door frame and tried to pacify you by pulling you back, but a punch straight in the face didn’t help at all. 

Instead it only infuriated him.

  He swears loudly and grabs you from your waist, restraining you from any movement and raising you on the air, he throws you with force back at the floor, right in front of the door.

  ‘Will you f*cking calm down?!’ he yells at you.

   He hoped that a good shake of your head would make you finally calm down and make you think straight again. How wrong is he…..

  He literally heard the ‘click’ sound your sanity switch made. There is a loud scream and he feels an excruciating pain on his side and his body leaving the floor as your kick lands straight on his sides, ejecting him on the bed and making him fall on the other side hard.

   Grabbing his sides and trying to stand back up, swearing heavily, he looks over the bed, only to see you standing on the other side with your orange eyes glowing brightly, while small cracks have appeared around them.

 ‘_____’ he grumbles heavily ‘You must f*cking calm DOWN!’

    As he jumps over the bed and against you, you barely have time to move yourself to your right and avoid his attempt to grab you. He falls right were you were a second ago, but on his feet, so he launches himself once again against you, before you have the time to get away. You were currently running towards the stairs with all your might, but feeling two arms wrap around your waist, your body is unable to withstand the extra weight, so you land face-first on the floor.

  You had fought Jeff in the past and you were able to defend yourself quite well. But right now, your distressed state of mind is making you unable to cope with your surroundings. Luckily, this time the last thing Jeff wants to do is hurt you.

  The smiling killer rolls you over and pins your hands over your head so that you wouldn’t be able to move them to hurt yourself or him anymore. Then his hand lands hard on your cheek making your head turn to the other side. The moment he slapped you, remorse filled his cold heart, but it was the only way to help you calm down.

Wait.

Why was he feeling remorse?!

 He hadn’t felt this feeling in quite a while now…

  Your cheek was still hurting you as you turned towards Jeff once again, who was now sitting on your belly and had trapped your hands over your head. The moment your eyes met, the smiling killer growled loudly.

  ‘Have you finally calmed down?’ he asked.

‘I’m going to kill you in your sleep you motherf-‘ another slap landed on your cheek.

 ‘I guess you haven’t. Who did you see in your nightmares ____?’ he demanded.

   ‘LIKE HELL I’D TELL YOU!’

Another slap.

  ‘I can do this all night doll.’ He threatened, a red glow appearing on his eyes.

‘Go to h%ll’

  Another slap.

‘You’re so f*cking dense that is quite adrenalizing.’ He whispers in your ear teasingly, but right then, you kick him where the sun doesn’t shine.

  He screams loudly but never fails to hold you hard in place. You start laughing insanely, enjoying his pain to the fullest as the insanity inside of you is now eating you up from the inside. When Jeff looks up once again, you can see his eyes glowing bright red, as he grabs you with his free hand from the neck and squeezes it with all his might, trying to choke you. His insane smile seems to have grown larger than before and his eyes reveal the full extent of his madness.

  ‘You just can’t f*cking behave, can’t you?!’ he laughs darkly in your ear, his body leaned on top of you.

  It’s your turn now to laugh ‘I guess I need more taming.’ Your inner monster growls teasingly and your voice sounds double.

  He chuckles slyly in your ear, his breath falling on your skin, making you shiver ‘Then I would love trying to tame you.’

  Jeff didn’t know why he was acting like that. Female Creepypasta were just too serious for his likings and just two or even three meet up to his expectations. He just had fun with various human girls before he sliced them also, but nothing that would satisfy him for long. He knew that the fun he had with them was fuelled solely from the fear they felt for him, something that the thought was enough for him to enjoy. But this girl. This girl. There were just so much more from what met the eye in her. She was the first one to fight him back and dare to oppose him that only drove Jeff over the line. She dared to fight him – HIM-, mock him, curse him, kick him and dare him, which gave Jeff something that he hadn’t felt before and something his killer instincts responded to. She gave him a challenge.

  She wasn’t the little damsel in distress. No. She was the fighter, she was the b!tch that dared to oppose him when she felt like it and treat him well if she felt up to it. The one that managed to look over the surface, down to his very soul, but nonetheless that was providing him with a thrilling challenge of playing with him –even if she didn’t know it- and putting him in his place when she felt up to it. She was standing her own ground and what would Jeff give to bring her down. Because she may act like an innocent one, but both of them knew all too well that she was nothing even remotely close to innocent.

   And it was right at that point, that Jeff realized that he wanted to make her crumble down. To tame her. Even if she turned out to be untamable.

  When he looked at her eyes once again, his whole rage disappeared as he saw her calm and empty once again. The hand that she had wrapped around his hand in a desperate act of freeing herself was now touching his wrist loosely. At first his heart filled with fear that he had hurt her. That was until he heard her speak.

  ‘You wanna know what I saw Jeff? Then I’m going to tell you.’ she says, her voice a little bit raspy ‘I always see five people with black eyes chasing me. Their hearts are torn out of their chests and their insanity scares even me. Every single time, they chase after me and when they manage to catch me, they say that they have finally found me and that he is coming for me. Only at their words, my blood freezes. Then, they proceed to tear my heart out as well, leaving me empty.’

  You see that Jeff’s eyes leave aside their crazed tint, only for a cloud of worry to flood them immediately. He lets go of your neck and helps you sit up on the floor, sitting right in front of you as well.

  ‘Do you know who is coming doll?’

You nod ‘No. But I’m so scared Jeff. I’m scared that history will repeat itself and that the next in line to die are all of you!’

  You hide your face in your hands as tears well up in your eyes and pour down on your face. Violent sobs make your whole body shake. You are scared. You are so, so scared. You don’t want anything to happen to them. You don’t want your new family to suffer the fate of your real one. It would be a strain too much for you to bear. And your fear didn’t allow you to share your concerns with anyone up till now. But you had done well to share it with Jeff.

  You feel two strong arms wrap around your fragile body and he pulls you against his chest, hugging you with all his strength and kissing the top of your head lightly.

  ‘There is nothing to worry about _____. I swear to you, I’ll protect you no matter what.’

   And you knew he meant it.