Chapter 24 Forgive Me, For I Have Sinned

We are wicked, but they far more! Will you, who cannot allow sin in any form, stand idly by while they swallow us up? Should you be silent while the wicked destroy those who are better than they? 
~~Habakkuk 1:13

   Last night appeared to be full of surprises. After you left your house with Jeff, spending around two more hours searching the whole place for your necklace, instead of the Mansion, the smiling killer led you to the local mall, where Jane, Clocky, Masky and Hoody were waiting for you. The two Proxies had cut the power off and the two girls led you inside for some shopping after almost two months. The five of them had planned it all together and even Jane seemed to stand Jeff for just one night and just for you.

  So the two girls led you inside and proceeded to open up any store you seemed to like. As both of them said, you were so desperately in need of clothes that this was granted mandatory and Hoody couldn’t keep lending you his clothes, since you seemed to destroy them and the teenager had nothing else to wear. The three boys waited for the three of you, looking out for any Pacmen that would tag along uninvited and offering to help you carry the bags as you went out –when it was near dawn- and their help was much appreciated by you, since all of you entered the woods carrying twelve bags each, full of clothes, something that you would just be unable to carry all by yourself. Not even Jeff seemed to mind or grumble at all, since the large smile that spread across your face, was categorized as precious by the smiling killer and he wouldn’t disturb it for the world.

   Jane and Clocky helped you stuff them all on your drawers and your closet and left you to rest with big smiles on their faces. You waved them goodnight and closed your eyes happily. From all the sets and clothes you ‘bought’ only one set stood out for you. A purple hoodie with black leggings, matched with black snickers (outfit). I guess you just found your everyday and killing clothes.

  But the surprises didn’t end there.

‘What do you mean you know where the fourth one is?’ you eyed the three Proxies suspiciously.

   Toby flicked your head ‘A-Are y-you stup-pid kitty?’

‘Toby this might hurt her.’ Masky scolded the goggled man, his finger still pointing the map as he was sitting right across from you on the kitchen table with Hoody right by his side.

   The goggled man flicked your head once again, trying to annoy you and ignoring Masky. His head ticked and eventually popped for the hundredth time that morning. You rolled your eyes and focused once again at the white-masked male.

 ‘As I was saying, we went through the phone you had brought along with you after your second murder and did a little searching around, so now we know where one of the remaining mice is.’ Masky explained for the twelfth time, patiently.

  ‘We t-thought i-it woul-d b-be good-d to h-help you out a-a b-it.’ Toby messed with your hair playfully.

  ‘Thank you!’ you smile to them ‘That was really sweet of you. Did you find anything interesting?’

  ‘In fact we did.’ Masky pointed at a small house on the map ‘He lives right here. His name is Evan Malver and he is thirty nine years old. He is a local, born and raised in the town; his parents have already passed away. He has a younger brother that currently lives in New York and he is a local police officer, though he never manages to get a promotion. Also, I have something more for you.’ he puts his hands on his pockets and starts searching through them, his gaze straying on the ceiling before an exclamation of victory left his lips, sounding under his feminine white mask.

  Under your curious gaze, he withdraws a small paper from his pocket and offers it to you. You eye the item suspiciously and take it using only your two fingers as if it was poisoned and dangerous. It was a simple grey paper of no importance. Even more puzzled, you flip it over.