[ 15 ] 1963

[ 15 ] 1963 

-

"I told you she was pregnant. That's why they got married so quickly. There is no way this happened during the honeymoon."

-

Ashton drove up to the Feeney's home, excited about that particular afternoon. It had been four weeks since Con and his wife Anne-Sophie had travelled to Paris, in the Fontaine family's home town, for their honeymoon. They would be returning in the afternoon of a warm day in mid-February. The newlyweds needed a ride from the airport to their new home, which had been a gift from the groom's family. Ashton and Claire quickly offered to help.

When the security guard at the front booth saw him, he went to open the gate. Ashton found it strange to see someone other than Bobby there, but he had been told by the young man that he had gotten accepted into the Sydney Marine Academy two hours away from the Feeney home. Due to that, he was required to dorm at the academy and was only allowed out on the weekends, which he would be working part-time.

He drove up the dirt path stopping at the steps that led up to the front door. 

A maid was at the door, already waiting. The guard at the front had announced that Ashton was there to visit his fiancée. The young maid greeted him with a smile and led him into the livingroom while she went to tell Claire that he was there.

The nineteen year old loosened the black tie around his neck, uncomfortably. He was dressed in clothes Claire had picked out for him. She didn't approve of his leather jacket, jeans, and bandana. Instead, she persuaded him to dress in black and white suits, hair always combed neatly and pushed back. She had even tried to get him to cut his hair, but that was one thing he wouldn't do. "As the son of a wealthy lawyer, you need to dress the part." She would say to him. For her, Ashton changed the way he dressed, especially when he would visit her.

He knew her father already wasn't very fond of him and he hoped that by dressing like a respectable young man, he would approve of him.

She walked into the livingroom in a bouffant silk dress with a rounded neckline. Her dress was a navy blue in color with white actual sized daisy patterns all over and white gloved hugged her delicate hands. Her hair was made up into a neatly combed flip that barely touched her shoulders.

As the daughter of a wealthy family, she was dressed in the most expensive and conservative clothing, reminiscent of the nineteen fifties. That was one way in which the two were different. Ashton preferred to dress in more modern clothing of his era, but his mind and morals remained conservative for the most part. Claire's mind was more liberal, but her fashion tastes had stayed in the fifties. Or at least if she did it to please her parents, Ashton had no way of knowing. She truly looked like she enjoyed dressing in the most expensive clothes and wearing beautiful jewels.

A smile touched her lips at the sight of him. "Oh, Ashton! You look so handsome. Don't you feel better dressed like that?"

He bit his lip. "It feels quite uncomfortable actually." He was now tugging on the collar of his shirt.

Stopping just inches from him, she slapped his hand away scoldingly. "Don't do that." She warned. Her hands reached to adjust his tie and shirt collar as she spoke. "When we get married you'll need to dress this way all the time, so you need to get used to it. I can't have my husband in commoner clothing. How would people distinguish you from guys like Bobby? When you two hang out together I can't even tell who the one with money is."

"That's not important, kitten." Ashton sighed.

"Yes it is." She pressed, not letting the sibject drop. Claire was that way. She could never let an argument go until she could make the other see she was right.