[ 44 ] 2013

[ 44 ] 2013

The teenagers waited for Claire to strike, since it was the only way they could lure her out without her knowing of their intentions. But days passed, and nothing happened. Harley found it suspicious, and also wondered when Claire would finally show herself.

It was three days before Christmas when Jack and Hazel packed their bags.

Harley and Calum were at Dempsey's house with everyone else. Hazel and her older brother stood in the doorway that led to the living room, their luggage by their side. Hazel's face contorted into a look that was both of pity and embarrassment. "I'm very sorry, guys." She apologized. "I just haven't seen my mom in so long. You understand, right?" 

From the living room couch, Calum shot her a glare, but Harley smiled at her friend, "Of course we understand."

That was when it dawned on Harley that it was probably what Claire was waiting for, an opportunity to get Calum alone. To have everyone around him leave one by one until there was no one left. It would have made things easier for her. 

Claire wasn't stupid and she probably expected the teens would team up against her.

"We'll see you in two weeks." Jack waved goodbye and the two siblings left. 

Unfortunately for Claire, Jack and Hazel had been the only two to drop out since they actually had family to visit. Now all they had to do was wait, and they could wait as long as she could. They would be ready.

-

That same night, after Harley returned to her house, she ran into her brother in the hallway. And he seemed happy to see her, "Hey Harley, my favorite sister." He said with a smile. In his hands were the guitar and the harmonica he had borrowed from John for Niall and Andrea's housewarming party. Harley was surprised he had held onto them for so long, since the party had been several days before.

"I'm your only sister." She reminded him.

"Can you do me a favor?" He asked.

Rolling her eyes at him, she replied, "What is it?"

"Can you take this over to John's house and tell him I said thanks?" He handed his younger sister the musical instruments. "Since you like spending so much time over there.

She shrugged. "Fine. Maybe I can check in on Calum on the way back." 

Calum was staying at Niall and Andrea's house, to prevent him from being by himself, making him an easy target for Claire.

Harley left the house and went three houses down to return the instruments to John. When she rang the doorbell, she found herself with the other brother, Paúl. "Hola, Arlequin." He greeted her with a small wave of his hand. Even in all his seriousness, Harley could see that Paúl was happier having his younger brother around. Per request of Dempsey and John, he had even been willing to help decorate the house with Christmas things. There was a tree in the back, and there were stockings hung by the chimney. Harley thought it was probably Dempsey's doing. And the colorful tissue paper decorations, as well as paper flowers were probably John and Paúl's idea. It was a combination of two different cultures.

"Hey." She greeted back. "Is John here?" 

He nodded, "Yeah, come in. But he's upstairs talking to his girlfriend on the phone."

He gestured inside the house and Harley walked in. There was already a pleasant familiarity to her surroundings. Lately, she was spending more time there than at her own house. "I just came to drop this off." She explained to him, holding the instruments up for him to see.