[ 50 ] 2014

[ 50 ] 2014

-

"Your cousin is a real meanie. Should I give her a little scare?"

-

Harley and Rory arrived at their grandparents's house about an hour and a half after Saris and Ever left the cafe. Since Saris was solely interested on making Harley's life more difficult, she had her close up shop and sweet up the whole place before being able to leave. Her cousin Rory stayed behind to help her and the two walked back home together.

When they walked past the front door, they could see into the kitchen from one of the doorways and their grandmother was washing dishes. Rory complained under her breath, "I can't believe they had dinner without us."

Instead of going into the kitchen for dinner, they decided to wait. They went to the livingroom to avoid their grandmother's scolding. There they saw Kieran Quinn, their grandfather, who was flipping through a book of photographs. He looked up when he heard the two girls' footsteps and smiled at them. "Girls, its great to see you. How was everything at the cafe?" Frowning slightly, he told them, "Sorry we had to eat dinner without you. Rory, you know your grandmother has to eat at very specific times because of her diabetes."

Rory nodded. "Yes grandpa. And everything was fine."

"What have you got there?" Harley asked, gesturing to the photo book on his lap.

He looked down at it fondly. "Just looking at some pictures of your dad and his siblings when they were growing up. Your dad sure did like Harleen Davis, but she didn't like him." He chuckled at the memory. Harley sat down on the couch across from him. She knew a story was coming. Rory sat down next to Harley, she always liked hearing family stories because they were always interesting.

Pointing at one of the pictures in the book, he pulled it out for the girls to see. In it were two families. One was the blonde Quinns, all of them blonde. The others were the Davis'. There was Thomas Davis with his auburn blonde hair, like her mother's, and Hayley Davis with her dark brown hair. With them were all their children; Harleen with all her brothers, and Aaron with his siblings. 

"The Davis family moved next door when Harleen wasn't even born yet." Harley's grandfather explained. "Thomas quickly became my best friend. Ava and Hayley got along, but they weren't very close."

He gave a brief pause and then continued. "Aaron was born before Harleen, he's three years older than her. But he liked her from the start. Harleen hated Aaron though, and it was all because we once sent them to a store on the street corner. Aaron's older brother went with them. Harleen was five, Aaron was eight. He and his siblings played a prank on little Harleen, they left her at the supermarket. When they returned for her, she was crying, and she hated Aaron from that day on."

Harley laughed at that. It sounded like something her mother would do. 

Harleen was sweet, but sometimes it was hard for her to forget and forgive things.

"They saw each other all the time growing up." He continued with a smile. Then he grabbed another picture from the album. It looked like a birthday party and the two families were celebrating it together. In the picture, she was immediately able to spot her mother. Harleen a blonde haired young woman smiling wide into the camera on one end, her father Aaron was at the other end, with his siblings smiling as well. "One of Harleen's older brothers was dating one of my daughters. Aaron and Harleen went to the same high school. But Aaron was already a senior when Harleen was a freshman. That was when he was totally in love with her. He tried to hard to get her attention all the time, but she never gave in."