[ 21 ] 2013

[ 21 ] 2013 

-

"One should never play by the rules, Mirror Boy. Haven't you ever heard that all is fair in love and war?"

-

That night at the school, Niall was sat in the stands, conveniently right behind where the cheerleaders were doing there routines and he could watch Andrea. The soccer players in front of the cheerleaders were of no interest to Niall. When he joined St. Genevieve's, he had been forced to join a sport or a club. His problem was that there were so many to chose from and all of them wanted him to join. What better than having one of the mysterious new kids on the team?

Calum had suggested joining the soccer team, but Niall didn't feel like joining them. After thinking about it for various days, he had gone with the track and field guys. He was already good at running because of his tracking skills. "A real track dog now." He had joked with Andrea when she asked which team he had chosen.

Like all the pretty girls at St. Genevieve's Andrea had been invited to join the cheerleaders.

Niall brought his phone out to check the time. The players were getting ready to begin and Calum was nowhere to be found. Niall thought his friend would be there, not only because he was on the soccer team but because Harley would be cheering for the soccer team.

As if sensing his thoughts, his cellphone vibrated in his hand with a text from Calum.

calum: hey niall, will you watch harley for me?

niall: u aren't coming by?

calum: i can't. so promise you'll take care of her, yeah?

niall: i think she's well taken care of with jack, but ok. 

Calum didn't reply to Niall's message, but Niall made sure to keep an eye on Harley. He owed his friend Calum some loyalty.

.

.

.

.

Ashton stood at the doorway to the library while Calum looked through each book, page by page. His foot tapped on the ground nervously. His eyebrows knitted together in irritation at the still figure of the ghost watching him. Looking up to meet his hazel eyes, he spat, "Why do you keep watching me, pervert? Are you a faggot?"

"Boy, you need to watch your language." Ashton said, his voice full of something that resembled parental authority. "Didn't your parents teach you some manners?" But soon, he answered his own question. "Of course not, with a family like the one you have..."

"My family is dead now!" Calum shouted, grabbing one of the books he had already inspected off the desk and chucking it at the boy at the door way. He well knew that Ashton was but a mere soul that had no human weight, but he did it anyway. The book went straight through him and crashed against the door with a thud. "Let the dead rest." Ashton saw there was a hint of pain in the raven haired boy's eyes which he tried to hide. As bad as his family had been, he loved them. And they loved him.

Ashton sighed. "That was out of line, Calum. I offer you a sincere apology."

"I don't need it." Calum told him. "Now will you tell me what the fuck you keep staring at?"

Never moving from his spot by the door, Ashton answered, "I was just thinking about your grandfather and trying to figure out who's son you are. But I'd never be able to guess. I never even met Richard Caine, Con's first son."