[ 25 ] 2013

[ 25 ] 2013 

Calum felt as though there were not enough hours in the day. Between going to classes, soccer practice, and finding a way to help Harley, he found several days were passing by without him making any progress. The only solution he could find to help her was to kill Jack, making it look like an accident in order to keep his sister quiet. He had nothing against them, other than the fact that they were annoying him, but it was something that needed to be done if he wanted Harley back.

The next weekend, Harley was sleeping over at the hunters' house again. Dempsey and Paúl had invited Michael to stay with them, Harleen and Aaron hadn't yet found out that he had returned to Sydney. And Michael had invited Jack and Hazel to stay over until Harley's situation could be fixed. Both Dempsey and Paúl were not thrilled at the idea of having two shifters which were on their kill list, and were unable to do anything about it. Hazel and Dempsey got on, but the Canadian young woman, member of the original family, could hear the American hunter's thoughts. Dempsey, somewhere in the back of her thoughts, few times contemplated the idea of eliminating Hazel and Jack.

It was a Friday night and the television was tuned to the Mexican channel on cable. It had been an unspoken agreement between everyone living in the household that Paúl would watch Mexican soccer on the weekends and no one else could chose otherwise. Paúl and Dempsey sat side by side on one couch, Michael and Hazel on another, and Jack with Harley on the last one. They all watched, but none of them but Paúl really understood what was going on. It was a game between Santos Laguna and Monarcas Morelia. Her eyebrows knitting in confusion, Harley asked aloud, "Why are we watching this?"

The blonde reached forward in her seat, her hand reached out to grab the control on the coffee table when Paúl shot his hand out, the control shot into his grasp like a magnet. "Its Friday." The Mexican hunter said simply. "I watch fútbol on Fridays."

She leaned back down on the sofa, rolling her eyes at him slightly. "Chill, Paúl." For one reason or another, she had not thought the fact that the controller had somehow found its way towards his hand to be strange.

"I just have one question..." Dempsey said from beside him. When Paúl turned to look at her, she continued, "Do you even like these teams? I remember when I was in Mexico, you were into a team called Club Guadalajara."

He shook his head. "I don't cheer for Santos or Monarcas, but I like to watch all nine Mexican league games."

Hazel and Michael were having their own side conversation. The girl with dark brown hair and bright blue eyes got up from her spot on the couch next to Michael. Stretching her slender arms over her head whilst letting out a yawn, she announced in a hint of sarcasm, "As thrilling as this is...I think I'm going to bed. Montreal Impact plays tomorrow and I want to wake up early for the pre-game show." She grinned at the last part.

Paúl scoffed, "MLS is not nearly as great as LigaMX."

Hazel said nothing and headed up the stairs to her bedroom. It was a few minutes before Michael excused himself as well. Jack and Harley remained in the livingroom until the game ended. The Canadian young man was on his phone the entire time, sending text messages someone while Harley's attention was completely devoted to him. When the game was over, Jack was the next to rise from his seat on the couch. "Come on, Harley. You should probably go to sleep now." He told her and she nodded in agreement, following behind him like an obedient little puppy.

Dempsey crinkled up her nose at the sight of them. "That's so sickening...to rely on someone like that."

Paúl agreed. "Poor Arlequín."

Jack led Harley to her bedroom, which she was sharing with Dempsey, and he said goodnight after assuring her for the millionth time that he would never leave her. The blue eyed shifter changed into her pajamas and climbed into one of the two single sized beds in the room. For the past several days, this house felt more like her home because it was where Jack and all her friends were. She stared up at the ceiling, waiting for sleep to claim her when a light gust of wind shook her curtains. Her eyes glanced at the window to see a blue-green apparition of a young man with a bandana wrapped around his head and old fashion clothing.

"Hey..." She called in fear. It was the first time since she was this way that Ashton had tried to communicate with her. "Who- who are you?" Her voice came out in a stutter.

Ashton cracked a smile. The conversation was beginning to sound faintly similar to their very first one. Harley's eyebrows knitted in frustration, for she was sure she knew the strange apparition of the boy in her bedroom, but she couldn't bring her mind to reveal to her who he was. "I'm a friend of yours, though you must not remember." The smile on his face was enough to expose his dimples, yet it was a sad smile. It was forced. "I'm Ashton." He offered.

Sitting up in her bed curiously, she replied, "I'm Harley Quinn."

A chuckle was the next sound which escaped his lips. "I know." He told her.

"What exactly are you?" She blurted out, but soon added an explanation. "I can tell you aren't human because you glow in a haunting way. And I can see right through you."

"I'm a ghost." He said simply.

"Wait." She paused, her eyes widening in amazement. "So...I can see ghosts? And...we're friends?"

Ashton nodded.

Harley continued with her questions. "What about Jack? And Hazel?" She wondered if her friends would be able to see him as well. Maybe they had the same abilities that she did.

"Them too." Ashton said.

"Why are you here?" She wondered, eyes full of curiosity.

"Because," He sighed, "I died long before my time. I was murdered and whatever higher being runs the afterlife thought I had some unfinished business. I can't seem to figure out what that business is though." He admitted to her.

He noticed the way there was a flash of pity in her eyes. Tapping the empty spot on the small bed beside her, she said to him, "If we're friends, you shouldn't stand so far away from me. Come sit over here and you can help me figure out all the things I can't remember."

"Y-you, you aren't afraid of me?" He asked.

She shook her head. "Why would I be? You're a good guy. I can see it in your eyes, just like I see the good in your friend."

"My friend?"

"That boy with dark hair." She nodded innocently. "He acts all tough but he's a nice guy." In the moment that she said that, few things became clear in her mind. That she did know both Ashton and Calum and that they were important to her in some way. The boy with golden curls took a few hesitant steps in her direction. The moment he was within her reach, she grabbed onto his arm with a gasp escaping her lips. "Ashton." He was surprised the way her vpice sounded in that moment. There was a familiarity in her tone. As though she knew him. "Tell me more about our friendship. Maybe that will help clear the fog that blocks my memories of you and Calum."

Ashton sat by her side and proceeded to tell her of the things she had forgotten when she became lost in her delusions. The two were disappointed to find his words hadn't been of much more help to her, but she felt as though her link to Jack was wearing down. It was like a rubber band being stretched to its limits and it would break at any moment.

-

im actually being quite good at updating lately. i just want to say sprry if there are spelling errors and such. my internet at home went out and my mom doesnt want to call at&t to fix it bc she's afraid they'll pressure her into upgrading to a more expensive plan. so i am wifi less at home for an undetermined amount of time.

the only thing i can rely on is my phone. so this update was typed on here. thank you all so much for reading. i love youuuu.

and question of the day: should jack die? i'm really debating it.

let me know what you think!

-clary xx