Part 21

Everything seemed to slow down.

Another problem to deal with. Earth captured by the Galra. They had to get to Earth another way. They couldn't arrive in the lions.

"Lance we figured it out. Relax. You still get to see them again,"Keith muttered as they crammed themselves into the the stolen ship leaving the lions on a moon of Saturn

"I know I know. Just... bad thoughts," Lance muttered

Before Lance fully stepped in Keith reached for Lance's hand offering a small squeeze before letting go again. Lance gave a small nod quickly ducking his head around to hide his blush. If the others noticed they didn't say anything.

Keith took control quickly aiming back to Earth's atmosphere. Hunk bouncing his leg slightly as they picked up speed.

"We are going to crash aren't we?" he muttered only to get confirmation from Keith that they were too heavy and were going to crash land into Earth

For once though Lance was ok with crash landing. They were back on Earth. They were home.

Lance resisted the urge to roll on the ground the moment they were free from the ship. Sure Earth was captured and all but they were finally home.

Home

Home

Keith was trying his best to ignore the look in Lance's eyes that were as radiant as ever now that they were finally home.

     But that was hard to do because Lance caught Keith's gaze and couldn't hold off on giving him the most dazzling smile. A smile he hadn't seen in ages. Since before he had left the team.

     Something felt stuck in Keith's throat as his chest tightened. He had a slight panic that maybe Lance's condition was actually contagious but relaxed feeling Hunk's heavy hand smack him on the back.

     "Never had such a smooth crash landing. Thanks buddy!"

     "Guys. We are finally home!" Pidge squealed

     They all seemed to feel a jolt of energy trace through them as they jogged up the hill to look around. Hopefully they crash landed in the right area. Hopefully they were almost home.

     Home.

     They paused at the top dread spilling through them. Barren stretch of city laid ahead of them. Abandoned buildings and cars held together as a whole apocalyptic mess. Not a soul around.

     "This isn't far from the Garrison," Pidge muttered looking around

     "What happened here?" Lance's question seemed to woosh out of him taking the earlier excitement

     Keith let his shoulder brush against Lance's slightly as he stepped forward to look closer. Someone had already been there. They had sure done a number on the city below them.

     "I don't know. We need to stay careful. It looks abandoned but maybe there are some hiding. We need to keep clear of the Galra. Make sure there are no traps to fall into. The Garrison knows we crash landed here. I'm sure if they can spare it they will send backup our way to get there."

     Keith glanced over at Lance catching his eye.  A heavy feeling settling into him.

     "We will get you to your family I promise," Keith breathed so only Lance could hear

     Lance nodded slowly. Limbs feeling like lead as they gathered the rest of their supplies ready to head out. He hunched over for an brief moment letting a few tiny petals work their way up as they had been trying to clog his throat for too long. Hunk patting his back and offering water once he finished.

     He hated this feeling. This uselessness. This weakness. This weak link.

     He could feel Shiro's gaze on him from a distance as his breath finally settled and he focused on studying the scene below again. The plan quickly formed to make way toward the Garrison trying to keep clear of the drones nearby.

     Keith leading the way ducking and sprinting between piles. The others following while Lance brought up the rear with his blaster ready. They only made it a third of the way when drones surround the area.

     "I'm going to draw them out and distract them," Keith muttered before turning to Lance grabbing the front of his shirt, "Do not miss."

     With that Keith quickly bounded off the drones quick to chase. Small blast emitting from them in pursuit of Keith. Lance quickly took his mark blasting all four out of the air in moments.

     "And that's why you are called sharpshooter. Nice job Lance," Shiro thumped him on the back lightly as Keith tracked back to the group

     "We have more incoming. We need to be quick," Pidge said looking at her tablet

     "Great they called for backup," Hunk muttered looking into the distance

     "Do you all hear that?" Allura whispered ears perked into the direction Keith had originally started toward

     The group grew quiet as they listened. It took several seconds but they could also here the slightly rumble and turn of tires approaching.

     Lance quickly steadied his blaster again aiming in direction of the incoming noise. However another group of drones quickly flew in before the tires made an appearance.

     "Lance!" Allura called out pointing toward the swarm

     He took aim only for a shout of "Wait!" erupted from behind them.

     Armored vehicles had arrived. The hatch opening while two people in full gear shouted for them to stop. Instead they aimed their own guns at the drones sending static pulses through them letting them drop from the sky.

     "Sorry. If you keep blasting like that they send reinforcements," one spoke removing his helmet

     Keith glared slightly as he received him. James Griffin. Of course he would be in charge of a cell now that the Paladins has left Earth. He had been a great student. Even if he was a bit of a prick.

     "Come on. We need to get you back to the Garrison before others show up. A patrol should be rolling in before long!" The other removed their helmet

     Keith felt Lance still besides him. He glanced at Lance then back at the girl. How did he know her? Keith hadn't seen her before? An odd feeling tumbled through his veins at the possibilities.

     "Veronica?"

     "Well hey Lance! Welcome home," The girl response seemed casual but there was a hint of roughness in her voice

     She quickly hoped out and Lance took off toward her. Their hug seemed to suffocate the pair as they reached each other. As a quick shout of joy erupted from Lance.

     "You are ok! The others? Are they ok?"

     Keith suddenly was lost in translation after that. The language suddenly changed making it impossible for him to keep up. Heck he didn't even know Lance spoke Spanish.

     "Who's that?" Allura interrupted

     "That is Veronica. One of Lance's sisters," Hunk said heading toward the vehicles

     "She wasn't with the Garrison when we left was she?" Pidge asked jumping in as Lance and Veronica kept spitting rapid fire outside the vehicle as the others loaded

     "I don't think so," Hunk said

     "Not while I was there either," Shiro said as they began to drive off

     Keith felt the feeling in him dissolve at the information. Instead moving to study Lance again out of the corner of his eye.

     There was a new light in Lance. Something that had faded long ago when he had first began his journey. The warmth seem to spread over the group. For the first time, despite the grimness of what was around them, everyone seemed warm.

     Or maybe it was just for Keith.